The Big Wu

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

The Big Wu

Postby Jimkkc » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:32 am

Just picked up Live at the Fitzgerald CD last night at a used book store - can't believe someone would get rid of this for the measley 25 cents most used book stores give you for used cd's. I was in Minnesota when the wu started out and have forgotten just how much I liked them (haven't heard them or seen one of their shows since leaving Minnesota in 1999).

In light of the recent thread concerning DSO, I thought I would add that the wu "sound" like the dead but only with original material (of course, there is the requisite and occasional dead cover). By sound, I mean to say that these guys have a crystal clarity to their tones and sounds, the grooves they hit are very dead-like, and just the overall feel is dead like. Long story short, if you haven't heard these guys, "Live at the Fitzgerald Theatre" is a good place to start.

Don't know what they are currently up to, but the above CD (circa 2001) was a good snap shot of the band I remember seeing many years ago . . . happy listening to whatever is on your ipod, in your cd player, 8trac . . .
Jimkkc
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby HOWEYMAN » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:14 am

I seen these guys once in Royal Oak Michigan when Strangefolk opened. I had never heard their music until that night. Liked them so much after the show I picked up the CD you are taliking about on the way out. I actually just listened that disc yesterday. Jazz88 and Oxygen are awesome.
HOWEYMAN
HOWEYMAN
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby Jimkkc » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:04 pm

Hey Howeyman - glad you like that cd - I can remember seeing these guys at the 1st and 2nd Big Wu Family Reunion - fun times under early Minnesota skies surrounded by kind folks and festival atmosphere.

If you really like the wu, you might do some digging around for a band called Mango Jam - Mango was a band based in Minneapolis and was on the college circuit and early jam band scene in the early 90's. Mango was a huge influence on the wu. Minneapolis in the early 90's had a pretty groovy jam scene . . .
Jimkkc
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby abspatz » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:47 pm

for a 1st time listener, would you reccomend Folktales or the Live disc you're talking about? I'm listening to both on itunes now and i'm sold!
Used to ride the highway, used to know where I was going...but now this shady dirt road feels cool beneath my feet.
abspatz
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby Jimkkc » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:11 am

abspatz - unfortunately, I couldn't telly you - I lost track of these guys when we moved away from Minnesota in 1999. When I bought the "Live at the Fitzgerald" disk, it was the first time I listened to them in 4-5 years, so I don't really know what they have been up to lately. That said, as with most good jam bands, the live albums are always a good start. That said, these guys - imo - tend to write "better" songs then most of the jam bands out there, so you probably can't go wrong with a studio disk either.

You might also check archive.org for shns that are out there - I downloaded a few a couple years back and of course, if they ever get to you neck of the woods, I highly reccommend catching them live.

Happy listening . . .
Jimkkc
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby strumminsix » Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:50 am

Aren't the Wu done? Seem I remember the rumors...
strumminsix

Postby Jimkkc » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:53 am

strumminsix - I checked their web site out of curiosity. They did play a set of New Year's shows, but the rest of the page looks pretty vague relative to upcoming shows. Like I said before, I haven't followed or seen them for quite a long time, so I really wouldn't know one way or the other. If they are done, then it is indeed a sad day in jamville, but such is the nature of a beast that thrives on playing small clubs, bars, and small festivals . . .
Jimkkc
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby HOWEYMAN » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:53 am

Anyone know where to find some live shows on the web? I remember searching a year ago or something and couldn't come up with much. I don't believe every concert of theirs is taped?
HOWEYMAN
HOWEYMAN
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby Jimkkc » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:03 am

Howeyman - check archive.org. From what I can tell, there are the ususal different download formats and reviews . . . happy downloading
Jimkkc
Pigpen
Pigpen

Return to Everything Else