old grey whistle test

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

old grey whistle test

Postby phpbb » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:42 am

has anyone heard of this show? I guess it's a BBC show from the 70's and 80's. I was flying on frontier airlines last night (which has direct TV) and this show was on VH1 Classic. I saw a very young Bonnie Raitt show, then a Leonard Skynard episode, and I landed to "FreeBird".

I searched around for some info and videos:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Grey_Whistle_Test

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... rch=Search

Seemed like it would have been a pretty cool show during its time....
phpbb

Postby Chief5959 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:05 am

It was a BBC show that was an alternative version of Top of the Pops (the UK American Bandstand). It had a number of interesting 70s acts on it and I believe there are compliations about on dvd.
Chief5959
Brent
Brent

Postby b weird » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:54 am

If you buy the two disk delux CD set of Skynyrd's Give Me Back My Bullets album it also comes with a DVD of Skynyrd's Old Grey Whistle Test show.
b weird

Postby amyjared » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:24 am

I have the first compiliation and it's amazing!! It has John Lennon, Springsteen, Talking Heads, REM, Edgar Winter, Alice Cooper, Rory Gallagher, Bill Withers, Tom Petty, and that's just off the top of my head. The performances are all well done and the dvd comes with a great feature where you can "shuffle" the videos that you watch. I haven't seen the second one, but the set list didn't look as good. Highly recommend the first one, though!
"The only funeral you should ever try to interrupt is your own, and that should be a full-time job." -Kinky Friedman
amyjared

Postby grateful4booze » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:08 pm

The OGWT was always live and the TOTP was always lip-synched.
"Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to."
- Pete Green
grateful4booze
Mickey
Mickey

Postby Shaggy » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:50 pm

It was a great show, very well known here in England and still gets many late night repeats and compilation shows now. Bob Harris, former presenter is still one of the best radio hosts to listen to. He has always played a lot of Dead in his shows and still does to this day.

There are a number -about 6-7 I think) of Whistle Test Dvd's out and available. All worth getting.
Shaggy

Return to Everything Else