New Music

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

New Music

Postby amyjared » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:42 am

Being an old geezer, I get in ruts with music. I would like to find new things that I like, but they seem few and far between. The only new albums that I listen to are The Raconteurs' Broken Boy Soldier, Dylan's Modern Times and the New York Dolls. I really have found the Raconteurs to be enjoyable and even saw them on Austin City Limits and liked it. I tried Derek Trucks new album, but wasn't too thrilled, nor did the new Nickelcreek make me sit up and take notice. Any other recommendations? As odd as it sounds, the older I get, the more I need the music fast and loud or I get bored. Can't listen to as much ethereal music as I used to. The Dead still do it, but none of their clones really have impressed me. Anyone?
"The only funeral you should ever try to interrupt is your own, and that should be a full-time job." -Kinky Friedman
amyjared

Postby Crazy 9.5 Fingers » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:52 am

diggin' the Black Keys, Arcade Fire, Broken Social Scene, and the Archie Bronson Outfit.
There are only two mantras. Yum and yuk. Mine's yum.
Crazy 9.5 Fingers

Postby mutant_dan » Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:26 am

I have been digging the Flaming Lips.
The first time I heard them, they were playing on Austin City Limits. Reminded me of Zappa with a Deadhead following.
mutant_dan
Bobby
Bobby

Postby tigerstrat » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:30 pm

My boss bought me a ticket to My Morning Jacket tonight in Portland... pretty cool bonus! Don't know anything much about them but the reviews look very good and the show is completely sold out- must resist the temptation to scalp :twisted: !! I'd have trouble explaining that at work tomorrow.

Lately in hard rock, I've dug the aforementioned Black Keys, Clutch, anything involving Jack Black (as in whatever that was on ACL the other night or Buckethead...

in the Jam realm, I haven't heard much that's new but still am pretty bonkers over Garaj Mahal, The Slip, and a newer fan of Critters Buggin.

In jazz(or at least jazz/jam fusion), you gotta love the new lineup of Medeski, Martin and Wood w/ John Scofield ... I also got to see Fareed Haque Group for the first time last year and loved every second. I have to find out if that bassist uses Hammond Eng. Dark Star pickups... superb tone.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby Crazy 9.5 Fingers » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:13 am

Tiger,

Not sure if you are aware of the Fur Peace Ranch. Jorma's guitar workshop camp. I have been there twice. IT is the bomb. Anyway, Fareed Haque is teaching a workshop there in September. Could be pretty awesome. Here is the link FYI.

http://www.furpeaceranch.com/schedule.html

Scroll down to 9/7/07
There are only two mantras. Yum and yuk. Mine's yum.
Crazy 9.5 Fingers

Postby bodiddley » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:30 am

Not sure if they are still putting out music but my wife has turned me on to Incubus lately and I really am digging a lot of what I hear. Some of their stuff is really trippy and mesmerizing.
bodiddley

Postby Benthegoodbum » Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:02 pm

There are few bands nowadays I listen to but a couple I love are Beck..he does a mixed bag of music which mostly consists of really good rap songs(not hardcore rap) and funky songs. Another is Radiohead who do very spacy music but are still energetic I think. Hope this helps!
When the going gets tough, the tough turn pro.
Benthegoodbum
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby eyeprod » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:32 pm

If you're like me and you like 70's high energy hard rock you might like some of the bands on the Small Stone label. The Brought Low and 5 Horse Johnson are pretty damn cool. They've also got some heavier bands that are worth a listen.
eyeprod
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby wisedyes » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Well, I have to admit I am largely right there with you. I can have a hard time finding things I like that isn't being made by guys that have already been around a long while.

Here's a few suggestions though, or at least some "newer" music out there that I've heard and liked. Robert Randolph and the Family Band, Ben Harper, Tea Leaf Green, Soullive, the Benvenutto / Russo Duo.

It's wierd; with the invention of the internet, and such sites as youtube, myspace, and all the others, it is so easy to find tons of music these days. At the same tme, so much of it just sucks so hard....
Out of the loop? I didn't know there was a loop!
wisedyes
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby AugustWest » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:20 pm

Ben harper might be a good one for you to check out. His live stuff has bags full of soul. Railroad earth is my favorite "new" band. Great studio albums and even better in concert.
AugustWest
Bobby
Bobby

Postby abspatz » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:31 pm

get my morning jacket's "It Still Moves". I felt the same way as you do--pretty unmotivated by new music. Then I heard this disc and was blown away. you might have to listen to it 2 or 3 times for it to sink in, but its absolutely amazing.

Tiger--how did you enjoy their show last night? I was there also....left a little dissapointed. I can't put a finger on it exactly, but not what I was hoping for. (not to hijack this thread...)
Used to ride the highway, used to know where I was going...but now this shady dirt road feels cool beneath my feet.
abspatz
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby Shooster » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:41 pm

tigerstrat wrote:

In jazz(or at least jazz/jam fusion), you gotta love the new lineup of Medeski, Martin and Wood w/ John Scofield ....

Scofield's been playing with them? Whaaaat? How could I not have heard? No one happens to have any tapes, do they?
Shooster
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby amyjared » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:22 am

Thanks for the help! I've already downloaded several suggestions! I forgot that I listen to Beck also, and like his new one. I also forgot that Drive By Truckers put out a Southern Rock Opera that kicks ass! If you haven't heard it and like things like Skynyrd and grew up in the 70's, you'll love it. I tried Ben Harper years ago and even saw him at a local small venue and was not impressed at all. Cruel World is the only album of his I have, but I'll give him another shot. I really appreciate the help, keep those suggestions coming.
"The only funeral you should ever try to interrupt is your own, and that should be a full-time job." -Kinky Friedman
amyjared

Postby JONZILLA » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:38 am

Does anybody here like Sufjan (soof-yawn) Stevens? First time I heard him he was on Austin City Limits a couple months ago and I immediately took notice. He has a sort of mini orchestra (band of butterflies) with him and has a very unique and original taste to his music. Just another suggestion...
phriend or foe...who'll ever know?
JONZILLA
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby tigerstrat » Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:26 pm

abspatz wrote:get my morning jacket's "It Still Moves". I felt the same way as you do--pretty unmotivated by new music. Then I heard this disc and was blown away. you might have to listen to it 2 or 3 times for it to sink in, but its absolutely amazing.

Tiger--how did you enjoy their show last night? I was there also....left a little dissapointed. I can't put a finger on it exactly, but not what I was hoping for. (not to hijack this thread...)

I thought it was a very good show! Definitely prefer their live sound and I like the band more now. Not sure if I would go to another show under my own motivation. Was surprised to run into the groom of a wedding Ramblin' Rose played a few years ago!

I have no idea how the vocalist sings with all that hair in his face!! He looks like Cousin It. When I had long locks, I used to inhale hair all the time while trying to sing- be in the middle of singing Scarlet or something, "She wore rings on-kkkkHHHH" CHOKE! Not another word gets out. That was an awful thing about long hair...

I got tired and left around 11:45. I heard that their encore went on forever though.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Next

Return to Everything Else