Live at Leeds and CTA

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

Live at Leeds and CTA

Postby Jimkkc » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:41 am

Just back from an unexpected trip to Minnesota - along the way really listened to the Who Live at Leeds and CTA (Chicago Transit Authority) first album. I gotta say - Pete Townshend (sp?) and Terry Kath have got to be two of the most underrated guitar players. If you have not heard these two albums, do yourself a favor and listen in!

It is really hard to fathom how CTA morphed into the the You're The Inspiration of the 80's.
Jimkkc
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby strumminsix » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:52 am

I know. Who'da thunk Chicago would go so soft.

But really, if you think about it, they were never mainstream with their deep-cuts and really did what they were passionate about.

Think of Color My World. A slow, monatonous, love song. It's one of my favorites but it is a love song.
strumminsix

Postby tigerstrat » Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:40 pm

CTA was one of my favorite albums when I was in high school in the 80's. Kath was taken from us way too early.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby FretfulDave » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:48 pm

The early days of Chicago is some of my favorite music. Agree that Terry Kath was one fantastic guitar player. He was a lot of the drive for the band in their early days of rock fusion and blues.

When I say early I am talking primarily about the first four albums. The fourth album (not titled that) is the Live at Carnegie Hall album set and *really* shows Kath's talent especially in the couple of pieces ("South California Purples" and "Sing a Mean Tune Kid") where the band jams out without the horns. Just the four of them. Great stuff.

Listening behind the horns is not that easy but is the way to hear Kath play some of his best stuff. The live recording did shine. Check it out. Now re-issued with previously unreleased cuts from the run at Carnegie Hall.

After he died and the original bass player Pete Cetera left shortly thereafter, Chicago completed the transition to pop and elevator music. And that was that.

Another great guitar player lost.

Dave
The river keeps a talkin'
FretfulDave
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby amyjared » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:17 am

Hendrix was often quoted as saying that Kath was a great guitarist and an influence on him.

I also have to give kudos to Live at Leeds. It still rocks hard and gets the juice flowing. Love that album.
"The only funeral you should ever try to interrupt is your own, and that should be a full-time job." -Kinky Friedman
amyjared

Postby Jimkkc » Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:26 am

Thanks for the heads up on the Chicago Live set - Is the album titled "Live at Carnegie Hall" - Not too familiar with their material. I love the first two albums - but after that, I am all too much of a newbie when it comes to their music . . .
Jimkkc
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby FretfulDave » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:30 pm

I guess the Chicago album title is "Chicago at Carnegie Hall". That is what is on the edge of the CD box. The cover is an off white with the Chicago logo and that is it. No numbers, though it is the fourth album. It was originally a four album set and now a 4 CD set w/ extras on CD 4.

I just opened it up. Got it for Christmas. It is a miniture duplicate of the original vinyl set. The box, the album sleeves, the picture booklet and the three posters. The booklet has additional archivist information and text on the band members reflections, etc. I think preserving the orignal packaging is a neat idea.

Dave
The river keeps a talkin'
FretfulDave
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby tigerstrat » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:37 pm

I don't see how Jimi would have even heard of Kath before the release of CTA in 1969. Isn't that a bit close to the end of Jimi's life (and coming after all of his most important work) to even consider TK much of an influence? The other way around, for sure.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Return to Everything Else