Album Recommendation - The Harder They Come

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

Album Recommendation - The Harder They Come

Postby jck_strw » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:29 am

I picked this up while I was in Boulder over NYE. This is the soundtrack to the movie of the same name. The movie (released 1972) features Jimmy Cliff (both as an actor and his music) and was, from what I gathered, quite an influential album in reggae music. Jerry was a huge Jimmy Cliff fan, covering several of his tunes (The Harder They Come, Sitting in Limbo).

I bought the super-deluxe 2 CD set which features the soundtrack and then another disc of popular (at the time of the movie's release) reggae music. Both discs are outstanding and I'm not a huge reggae fan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_harder_they_come
http://db.etree.org/jck_strw - Tapelist
-----
"Now get back to the stands before I shave off half your mustache and shove it up your left nostril. "
Bad News Bears
jck_strw

Postby Rev_Roach » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:00 am

A great album indeed. Jimmy Cliff's songs are gold, and it also has tracks from several others (esp. Maytals, Melodians) that I was not familiar with before but definitely enjoy them now. One of them is Rivers of Babylon which some of you may know, as I first did, as bonus track on Sublime's 40 Oz.

If you haven't heard the Garcia/Grisman Sitting Here in Limbo (its on Grateful Dawg) I definitely reccomend you do.
Rev_Roach
One More Saturday Night
One More Saturday Night

Postby mutant_dan » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:14 am

If you like the dance hall style of Jimmy Cliff, check out the King Kong Reggae Compilation album

http://www.amazon.com/King-Kong-Compila ... B000003QHP

I need to buy another copy of that one, my two year old scratched the hell out of it.

Edit: Damn, just noted the price,$69. Wow, this thing is rarer than I thought. I about wore my 20 year old tape out before I transferred it to CD, I should have made a backup copy.
Last edited by mutant_dan on Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
mutant_dan
Bobby
Bobby

Postby hesgone95 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:22 am

Gotta agree with the above. One of my all time favorite albums. Although I haven't heard the deluxe version.

Another reccomendation on the reggae tip is a compilation called 'Darker than Blue: Soul from Jamdown' which is all early to mid '70s covers of old soul tunes by various Jamaican artists. Stuff like The Impressions' 'Gypsy Woman' and Curtis Mayfield's 'Get Ready', a reworked version of Kool n the Gang's 'Funky Stuff' called 'Collie Stuff'. It also has one of the first rap tunes call Hotter Reggae Music that predates Sugarhill Gang by a couple of years. All in all it's a hot CD, whether you're a fan of Reggae and Soul or not. Check it out. BTW it's on a UK label called Blood and Fire.
Goin' home, goin' home
By the waterside I will rest my bones
Listen to the river sing sweet songs
To rock my soul
hesgone95
Bobby
Bobby

Postby amyjared » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:50 am

foward and fiaca, minacle an den go saca! (Is that close?)
"The only funeral you should ever try to interrupt is your own, and that should be a full-time job." -Kinky Friedman
amyjared

Return to Everything Else