Pelosi hanging out with bobby and mickey

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

Pelosi hanging out with bobby and mickey

Postby waldo041 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:07 am

"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby strumminsix » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:42 am

I miss the non-partisan days of the Dead and members.

Anyone is fine to express their views but I wish
they stuck with thier ideals and not politicians.

I remember a show where wavy gravy was all political.
It's reported that Jerry and the band were not at all
comfortable with that since it's about the music.

Nowadays, it seems that has all changed. Sad, IMO.
strumminsix

Postby confusions_prince » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:54 am

The story would have done as well not mentioning Weir and Hart. It was a "cute" frame to make it clear that it was a Bay Area thing.
"More then ever, the world needs love and the Grateful Dead!" -Vince
confusions_prince
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby amyjared » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:04 am

I think it's fine. I seem to remember Garcia appearing before congress to say something about the Rainforest, and when asked if "his constituents even voted" he replied, "It would be nice if they had something to vote FOR!" He even said something about heads chaining themselves to trees if he suggested it to them. Didn't Al Gore sport a Garcia tie and show up backstage at a DC show?
Like it or not, musicians are people and support things and are powerfully influential. I often don't listen to a musician if I don't agree with their politics (Nugent, Marshall Tucker) and will try them out if I do (Clash, Rage Against the Machine).
"The only funeral you should ever try to interrupt is your own, and that should be a full-time job." -Kinky Friedman
amyjared

Postby strumminsix » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:27 am

Amy, if I followed your philosophy I'd not have anyone to listen to anymore.

Being a staunch Libertarian I'm almost alone in the music world.

Barlow was on my side for a while and I think still is.

But he's as close as I've got.

I think I muddied my point above. Reading that article reminded me of the political talks the Dead made and Bobby has as well as Phil (IIRC) at their shows and each time I just think - "i didn't come here for you to share your politics just your music, please"

I'm a fan of Nugent and think the same thing.

When I goto shows I go to escape and don't like being reminded of the outside nor have another's ideals thrust upon me.
strumminsix

Postby amyjared » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:33 am

Strummin,
Completely see your point and agree to some extent. When I go to shows I also go to escape and don't like the preaching (unless it's someone I go see who I KNOW will be doing it), but what they do on their own time is their own bid-nez, don't ya think?
"The only funeral you should ever try to interrupt is your own, and that should be a full-time job." -Kinky Friedman
amyjared

Postby strumminsix » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:00 pm

AJ, I totally agree! I knew I mistyped my feelings above. On their own time I admire them for being active politically!!!

Just with the Dead, they were and are my escape from life. They make me forget about my troubles and make me smile when I'm blue.

I guess it sounds selfish and even foolish or maybe like a child but I liked them being out of politics.

Okay, now I'm a bit embarassed.
strumminsix

Postby tigerstrat » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:22 pm

RE: Wavy Gravy, wasn't that just his "Nobody For President" schtick? Pretty apolitical stuff.

How about this: when they remove politics from the church pulpits, then we'll eliminate it from the rock n roll stage!!
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby Billbbill » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:18 pm

Good point tiger. Along with r&r I'd throw in hollywood. Although there certainly are right wingers in both.

I'd gladly give up the politicos in r&r and hollywood if someone could remove the iv force feeding religious dogma from our national arm.

It's worth noting that a good number of the moderate/lefties of fame who have chosen to speak out have also been motivated by our Iraq mis-adventure.

As for the dead, I have a tape from 10/10/82 Frost, Palo Alto where Bobby says "Don't forget to vote yes on (proposition) 12 if you can vote" between Sugar Mags and Sunshine Daydream. I'm assuming an environmental proposition of one sort or another but point being politics have dotted their lanscape from time to time. An exceptional Sugar Mags and show for that matter.
Billbbill

Postby strumminsix » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:58 pm

I guess I don't see why taking the higher ground and keeping it from the Dead or music in general has to be the reward of removing it from somewhere else.

I'm fine with Bobby urging people to vote for propositions but I strongly dislike entertainers telling me who to vote for.
strumminsix

Postby Billbbill » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:33 pm

I don't pretend to speak for tiger here ss but I think the 'playful point' was that if the one side took a step back, we'd be for the otherside taking a step back. A sort of truce I'd suppose.

And by inference if the moralists don't take a step back, rather than taking the so called high road and sit on the side lines, it'd be turnabout is fair play for progressives, entertainers or not, to speak their minds.

I do agree with you about the lemming like nature of the construct:
famous person=proper viewpoint=I won't think for myself and thus agree with them

I agree with the viewpoints of many famous progressives but because we think the same; not because they're famous.

And honestly some of them, on both sides of the political spectrum, don't have a clue and should educate themselves on the issues before attempting to use their limelight status. I have no problem with them using that status unless they sound like assholes. And that judgement doesn't come from what their positions are as much as how intelligently they can back them up.

That's it for me.
Billbbill

Postby berryjonas » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:51 pm

Pelosi and Weir deserve eachother.
berryjonas
Vince
Vince

Postby grateful4booze » Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:00 am

I agree with SS, the Dead were never overtly political like the Airplane, CSN, Bruce Springsteen, Don Henley, Dixie Chicks, etc. They played a few benefits, but they never seemed to take a certain side. I have listened to/watched thousands of hours of Dead audio and video and they never said Nixon sucked or Reagan sucked or whatever.
"Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to."
- Pete Green
grateful4booze
Mickey
Mickey

Return to Everything Else