Brewing Beer

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

Brewing Beer

Postby steve » Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:54 pm

Hey everyone,

So I've decided to start brewing again. My experience is limited, as I've only done it once before. I've given up on bottling (takes far too long) and opted to go with a cornelius keg, so hopefully that will make the process a little easier.

Does anyone have any tips or recipes? I vaguely remember how I did it last time, so I got a few books to re-educate myself. I've been searching online for a good place to order hops and all that other good stuff, and I've only come across a few good site. It's amazing the variety of ingredients available. I think I'll start off with something easy, like a pilsener, but Id like to be able to brew some nice stouts. Just need the knowledge I guess.

So any and all tips and recipes are welcome!!
steve
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby squire758 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:10 am

I dont have any tips but I have a friend who brews beer all the time and it always comes out nasty until you do it for a while. I dont know how many times I've sat over his house and pretended that it wasnt the nastiest thing I've ever tasted just to make his day. But now a couple years down the line, he actually makes some pretty good beer and he knows how to make a little wine. I'll ask him if hes got any kind recipes. its all darker beer he makes by the way, i dont know if thats your thing or not
squire758
Jester
Jester

Postby phreaker » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:57 pm

just make moonshine or everclear.

the list of ingredients is easy to remember.

1. alcohol

Abracadabra! you made everclear!!
phreaker

Postby phpbb » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:55 pm

I actually think the darker the beer, the less of a chance of screwing things up. Im terms of recipes, the best thing to do is find a beer that you like, go to your brewer and have them point out a recipe that is similar. Then, stick with it. It takes a few times to get to the point where you'll brew a consistent beer, or can change the taste predictably.

Using a Keg is a way better choice, simply because its easier to sanitize, and increases the chances of a good beer.
phpbb

Postby abspatz » Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:43 am

talk to the people in your local brew shop. they can give you the best tips and set you up with the supplies while you're talking.

on a side note, i just completed my first full-grain brew with a home-made mash tun out of a water cooler and its f'n amazing. what a difference from using an extract! if you get back into brewing, i'd suggest going all out...its not much more difficult but the brew tastes so much more legit.

good luck!!
Used to ride the highway, used to know where I was going...but now this shady dirt road feels cool beneath my feet.
abspatz
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby steve » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:22 pm

I had hoped to be brewing some darker beers, as I am in love with them and it is the season afterall. When I brewed before, I only tried with the lighter stuff. Only had one botched batch, really. I think I might stop by my local and see what info I can gather from there.

I haven't tried the homemade mash approach yet. abspatz, what is involved in that? I'm not opposed to doing more work, anything to make the brew better is worth doing, in my opinion. But I don't know anyone who has done it that way before, so I would be venturing into something completely new to me. I think I'll stop by the library and find some literature on the subject.

Thanks for the input everyone
steve
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby abspatz » Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:47 pm

if you're already using an extract, you're basically there. Just a few more supplies and one extra step. I made my tun out of a cooler I had in my basement, just had to buy some copper piping for $20, a few other small misc. items, and I was set to go.

I compare it to making soup--you can buy broth to make a base for your soup, or you can simmer a ham bone or something like that and make it much tastier. Same thing with beer--you can use the pre-made and concentrated extract, or you can make your own. It only adds another hour or so to your brew, and its not tough at all. Here are some great instructions. Have fun!

http://www.howtobrew.com/sitemap.html

--Andrew
Used to ride the highway, used to know where I was going...but now this shady dirt road feels cool beneath my feet.
abspatz
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Return to Everything Else