Acoustic Guitar Straps

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

Acoustic Guitar Straps

Postby Trystine » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:44 pm

I was just playing my acoustic standing up and I got to wondering if the strap that I have could put enough stress on the neck of the guitar to have a negative effect on it. I have the kind of strap that ties to the guitar up by the tuning pegs. Yah's or Nah's on such a thing?
"Stupid music makes people do stupid things"--Anthony From Bonnaroo
Trystine
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby b weird » Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:12 pm

I used to do the same thing with my guitar but then I got tired of the strap so I took it off, but as far as I know nothing happened to the guitar. So my advice is if you want to keep the strap keep it. Hope my rambling helped in some way. Peace. :D
b weird

Postby strumminsix » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:41 am

Are you sure there is a negative effect or just different sound which is normal? If so there is a rare possibility that you are resting your arms heavily on the guitar. Doubtful but it's all I can think of...
strumminsix

Postby HOWEYMAN » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:02 am

If you look at videos of old school country stars from the 50's 60's ,etc., the strap tied to the headstock was the norm.

I personally don't like playing like that, it doesn't feel right. I was planning on having a strap peg installed on the dovetail of my Martin, but haven't got to it yet.
HOWEYMAN
HOWEYMAN
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby Trystine » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:03 pm

It doesn't give it a negative effect presently, I was really just wondering for the long haul, if it could warp the neck. I recently bought this guitar (a Martin) and I want to take care of it the best that I can. My plan's are similar to Howey's, to eventually get a strap peg installed.
"Stupid music makes people do stupid things"--Anthony From Bonnaroo
Trystine
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby Robey » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:21 pm

funny. I *like* it with the strap around the neck just above the nut, rather than have a strap button on the underside of the neck by the body. It just seems to hang better to me (no comments!). Just goes to show ya to each his own. I can't imagine it would hurt the guitar.

:cool:
Robey
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby Billbbill » Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:56 am

Back in '82 when I got my first acoustic, a used Yamaha 330 I believe, for $90, it was also strapped at the tuning head. I used it like that for quite a while 'till I plopped a strap peg into body. The peg was threaded and I believe I just pushed and turned and screwed it into the support portion of the neck where it connects to the body.

Didn't really have a clue what I was doing but have had no ill effects. I still have the guitar over at a friends house, still sounds good.

I had no problems with the strap up at the tuning head and assuming the design folks know what their doing it's unlikely it would cause a problem.
Billbbill

Postby BobbyWeird » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:02 pm

I have a strap on my guitar and nothing happened. :-) :D
BobbyWeird
Vince
Vince

Return to Everything Else