Trey busted in NY

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

Postby JONZILLA » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:01 pm

But as for all the psychadelics and harder stuff that shit is not cool...?????

I feel what you mean about the "harder stuff," but the psychadelics?!?! I don't think it makes me the "cool guy" or anything but I've experienced very few shows without 'ol uncle sid. And I am definitely there for the music. Possibly a few of you can feel me on this one.(?)
phriend or foe...who'll ever know?
JONZILLA
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby hobo » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:12 pm

the psychedelics of today are not the psychedelics of yesteryear, thats for sure, back in the day, the point was to get everyone high, now adays you deal with bunk hits, bad deals, diluted lsd, all of that. People go to shows to make money selling these drugs, while back in the day, the drugs were there to get people high, to have an experience. The problems with the dead though, did come from harder drugs entering the scene, and the lure of making money off of them, and when the scene got too huge to handle itself. It was bound to flame out, and it should have, but Phish ended up perpetuating it for a few years. Also, while I respect Phish for breaking up their band, for obvious reasons, I don't respect for how they handled themselves during their last few years. Instead of actually trying to play good music, they just bought into it all, and played totally uninspired crap. I'll never forget Coventry and the way after they played their last song, they immediatly ran off stage, each jumped into their separate luxury touring buses, and drove off.
hobo

Postby BlobWeird » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:15 pm

Tigerstrat this is true. I mean I cant really say this or that about it truthfully as I wasnt even alive back then lol. But it certainly seems that the times allow more violence and drug abuse nowadays than back then. And I think they need to step up security. Even if that meant no more joints for me. I would certainly trade my joints for no more bullshit at shows.

Like the second night of DSO at Nokia Theatre a month ago. Me and a friend were right up at the guardrail front row. The whole rail was packed with people. Yet the last song of the first set (Bertha) a guy came bargin in between some ppl next to us and started jammin along and groovin which wasnt exactly a good thing but it wasnt nothin to get all crazy over. Except after the song was over he started yellin ... Continued...
BlobWeird

Postby BlobWeird » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:19 pm

He started yellin "You guys suck!!! There was only 3 good songs in the set. You guys suck." We all thought he was jokin at first but then finally when it was apparent he wasnt kiddin I said to fuck off. He started gettin loud sayin GD was soo much better and how DSO should stop playin. He was next to a guys daughter who was only like 10. The guy said to a security guard that he was harassing his daughter and security came over and we were all flippin out on this guy. It was amusing but it still only backs up my conclusion that there are lots of assholes that dont belong at these shows. Unfortunately there isnt much we can do about it :(. Either way DSO rocks damnit!!! ANd i love them to death for tryin to recreate the magic of GD. Long live DSO!!! Im done rantin now hehe
BlobWeird

Postby BlobWeird » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:21 pm

JONZILLA wrote:But as for all the psychadelics and harder stuff that shit is not cool...?????

I feel what you mean about the "harder stuff," but the psychadelics?!?! I don't think it makes me the "cool guy" or anything but I've experienced very few shows without 'ol uncle sid. And I am definitely there for the music. Possibly a few of you can feel me on this one.(?)

I dunno Jon I just am not down with it myself and I think it would make a better show if everyone there was a little more levelheaded ya know? Also why do ppl insist on gettin drunk at every show they go to? They almost seem like they are obligated to get drunk at a show. Why? It costs a buttload of money to even get buzzed at a show. And if you do get drunk you dont remember the show!!! What fun is that?
BlobWeird

Postby squire758 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:16 pm

i agree with what everyone says about how shows now are all about kids goin and gettin all trashed. ya know whats always the shittiest part of the show for me? when people get carried out all overdosed and unconscience and stuff. that really worries me because me, my band, and alot of the people who come see us do our share of havin a good time but i would never want to see that kind of thing at my gig. especially camps outs. i see so many people totally overdoin it at these things. i hate to say, but we always had a conoe trip we went on and it was the big summer party everyone looked forward to, but the year before last my best friend died at 18 years old. everyone settled for a bit but now alot of the people who were the most effected are doing the most partying now over a year post and it really gets to me like no one learned from the death of this fine young man trying to be a cop. i wonder if any of the live acts who are really up there like the dead or phish or hookah ever find out the tally of people who get hurt or sick at their shows. in conclusion, people party way too much because they think its what the shows are about, and it would really ruin it for me to find out people were dying and shit at my show
squire758
Jester
Jester

Postby JONZILLA » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:14 am

I have to say that I've never in my life come across any bunk shit. I've also never dealt with strangers (or liquid, though). Only close friends whom I can trust. But anyway... Don't get me wrong, I am completely against these fools who follow a band for months simply because that's where their fix is. Those people have totally missed the point. But I don't think taking a hit before Phil & Friends is something to be frowned upon. I'm not talking about forgetting my name or anything like that. Just having a fun, safe time. I understand deadheads against dangerous, addictive drugs... but deadheads AGAINST PSYCADELICS?!?!? i think I'll be a vegan against veggies LOL.
JONZILLA
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby hobo » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:00 am

i'm not against using psychedlics, I just think they're overused. Also, there is plenty of bunk hits out there, people trying to rip people off, all that, it happens sooo much. I don't know, I guess I've just been around enough to see it, and it's frustrating. But back to psychedelics. I feel like they're perfect for shows, really, but once you over use them, or use them every time you're at a show, it loses it's purpose. You're no longer expanding your mind, and enjoying the music in a new way, you're just getting messed up, over and over again. Psychedlics open doors, but if you pass through too many times, that door is bound to whip around and hit you smack in the face. People who continue to use them, over and over, have usually lost the meaning of what they are, and are simply getting wasted.
hobo

Postby JONZILLA » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:32 am

Nicely put, hobo. I think you hit the nail on the head. I mean, I'm a mechanical engineer. And have seen very close friends totally loose their shit (permanently) with LSD. If I were an abuser the way some of these folks are, I wouldn't be able to continue my life and career in the way that I've planned to. Responsibly used in the right environment, it's almost a key to childhood, and can be a wonderful bonding experience with others. Just remember when your parents said "don't take candy from strangers?" Well, same goes here. Otherwise you'll end up with some clippings off a cereal box that cost you $50! Much love to all you guys (gals?)! Anybody ever in the Cumberland mountains, give me a shout!
JONZILLA
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby acidrain30005 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:30 pm

His mug shot was priceless. It's now my wallpaper.
"Carl! Go take your bath!"- Jack
acidrain30005
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby tigerstrat » Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:19 pm

Why would you want such sad subject matter for your background?
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby mttourpro » Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:24 pm

hobo wrote:the psychedelics of today are not the psychedelics of yesteryear, thats for sure, back in the day, the point was to get everyone high, now adays you deal with bunk hits, bad deals, diluted lsd, all of that. People go to shows to make money selling these drugs, while back in the day, the drugs were there to get people high, to have an experience. The problems with the dead though, did come from harder drugs entering the scene, and the lure of making money off of them, and when the scene got too huge to handle itself. It was bound to flame out, and it should have, but Phish ended up perpetuating it for a few years. Also, while I respect Phish for breaking up their band, for obvious reasons, I don't respect for how they handled themselves during their last few years. Instead of actually trying to play good music, they just bought into it all, and played totally uninspired crap. I'll never forget Coventry and the way after they played their last song, they immediatly ran off stage, each jumped into their separate luxury touring buses, and drove off.

Just a couple of thoughts.

There was always bunk cid and bad drugs out there to some extent. Just check out the Woodstock movie and listen to what they say about the brown cid. People have always swung drugs in the lots to make money.Their not doing it for their health. The GD themselves got into "harder drugs" a LONG time before the scene collapsed on itself.

The main problems with the modern day GD scene began in Summer of 88 with the nitrous trucks arriving in Alpine. Many factors played into this, not the least being newfound popularity. Everything changed after In the Dark/Touch was in existence. All of the sudden, there were a lot more people whi wanted to hit the big party that was the lots. Then people decided they wanted to get into the show without tickets or money....Thats's when it became increasingly tough to put on a show and not have some kind of significant problem occur.It seemed to culminate in Summer of 95 on the "death tour".

There's always going to be young people who want to try new things and see what it's all about.... It's a double edge sword in that, the scene needs new people, however, they're often the ones who behave in ways that ultimately harm the scene for others. And, there are plenty of not-so-young people that also contributed to the demise of what was a very special time in history.
http://www.thecausejams.com

let your life proceed by its own design....
mttourpro

Postby BlobWeird » Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:24 pm

JONZILLA wrote:I understand deadheads against dangerous, addictive drugs... but deadheads AGAINST PSYCADELICS?!?!?

Hmm just curious as to your opinion. Correct me if im wrong but the GD are a band that play music. And if you love them enough you may be considered a deadhead. So how does me lovin a band that plays music make me absurd for not diggin psychadelics?
BlobWeird

Postby strumminsix » Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:31 pm

BlobWeird wrote:
JONZILLA wrote:I understand deadheads against dangerous, addictive drugs... but deadheads AGAINST PSYCADELICS?!?!?

Hmm just curious as to your opinion. Correct me if im wrong but the GD are a band that play music. And if you love them enough you may be considered a deadhead. So how does me lovin a band that plays music make me absurd for not diggin psychadelics?

Right on, BlobWeird! Deadheads used to be about freedom on non-conformity. Seems like forced acceptance of a something is the antithesis of the old-school deadheads.

However, it is noteworthy that a few members back in the day got some ribbing for not partaking in acid or not taking it frequently enough...
strumminsix

Postby JONZILLA » Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:07 am

Alright, alright. Let me clear this up. I'm not trying to say that anybody is or isn't alright with me for taking or not partaking in anything. I'm not a hater and I totally feel your opinions. It just seemed like I was jumped a bit by saying that I enjoy the use of psycadelics at shows. I didn't say anyone was "absurd." To be against using sid yourself is one thing, but to think it's wrong for others to take it when going to see a band who for years pretty much used the stuff religiously, just seems contradictory.
JONZILLA
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

PreviousNext

Return to Everything Else