Travis Bean Designs TB #12 clone prototype for sale

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

Travis Bean Designs TB #12 clone prototype for sale

Postby elroy2288 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:01 pm

I just came across this on Reverb:

https://reverb.com/item/1393966-travis-bean-designs-tb500-generation-1-2014-pearl-vintage-white-prototype?_aid=pla&currency=USD&pla=1&gclid=Cj0KEQiAkIWzBRDK1ayo-Yjt38wBEiQAi7NnP_ygH-LjdZBxWK6VQXamn8eD3gIZyzWNRuCqHO-bxhEaAlSA8P8HAQ

If it sounds like #4 and #5, which I know firsthand, it's pretty sweet. It's still way expensive. If someone here buys it, they should consider adding an OBEL switch, so you can turn the effects off without pulling the cable.
elroy2288
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Re: Travis Bean Designs TB #12 clone prototype for sale

Postby mgbills » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:12 pm

This listing is distracting me from many many things. I've kept my Jerry GAS at bay through some mighty tempting items...for months.

Somebody talk me down! That guitar will not make me a better player. That guitar will not make me a better person. That guitar....I really want that freakin' guitar!!!!!

Holy Fiddlesticks.
Peace
M
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Postby chipperj » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:07 pm

Sold my Travis Bean in the early 80s for $350.
It hurts.... it hurts....
chipperj
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby ccw3432 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:57 pm

mgbills wrote:This listing is distracting me from many many things. I've kept my Jerry GAS at bay through some mighty tempting items...for months.

Somebody talk me down! That guitar will not make me a better player. That guitar will not make me a better person. That guitar....I really want that freakin' guitar!!!!!

Holy Fiddlesticks.
Peace
M

That's a really cool guitar. Don't worry I'm here to help. Do it! :cool:
ccw3432
Skeleton
Skeleton

Postby waldo041 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:39 pm

Tiger, Wolf and any other Tribute Garcia guitar will be attainable, but Travis Bean 500's with 3 single coils like Jerry's are a rarity that will always be! I believe there are less than 25 in existence.

~waldo
Disclaimer: I only make, modify or build things for those that seek what i may be able to provide.
waldo041

Postby waldo041 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:56 pm

2 created after that prototype.

~waldo
Disclaimer: I only make, modify or build things for those that seek what i may be able to provide.
waldo041

Postby waldo041 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:56 pm

Edit: Double Post - :x
~waldo
Last edited by waldo041 on Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
waldo041

Postby mgbills » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:04 pm

Waldo...you have been helpful to me in many many ways. And right at this moment you're posts are either Great or Terrible. and I have no idea which!!!! If literally get a tightness in my chest when I look at that guitar. So many years of listening to those '77 shows. I can hear the difference between the TB1000 in a note or two.

But I have a rational mind. There's the $$. Just bought a house in a new part of the country. I should be responsible! What if the very cool CEO I report too suddenly grows a 3rd head, and becomes an irrational dick? That guitar will not bestow on me the talent to deserve it. Won't it be like Tiger in a glass case? (Well...there is the difference that I would play the crap out of that guitar...with no belt ....and a soft flannel shirt :-) I have to save money for a rainy day. But...but...let's face facts...I just met my neighbor. He's 90. Used to love to travel, but he's got a broken neck (from bad driving) and is nearly blind. Will I make it that far? Do I want to? Does he have a TB of proverb that he wishes he played when he still could? Would it be possible to get $$ out of that guitar if things went bad?

I do know I want to own a TB500 with single-coil pickups. White.

Help! Without love in the dream insanity's king!
All opinions accepted with generosity.
Peace
M
mgbills

Postby mgbills » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:15 pm

And where do I put the OBEL switch, and not alter the original appearance?

Ug.
mgbills

Postby elroy2288 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:32 pm

I'd be shocked if you're disappointed. Given that the 1-10s went for 10K, my guess is you're money is safe and you could turn around and sell it. As Waldo said, there are tributes that go for the same price. You could call Kevin Burkett and get his take on how this prototype compares. One thing you might want to check is that the fingerboard radius is not flat, like the vintage ones. I know three of the production models are rounded like a modern guitar. Kevin recommends it, so I assume the prototype is not flat. As for the switch, don't worry about it. I know Stu has the extra switch on board in the clip of him that Waldo shared and it is a non-issue aesthetically. PM me if you want a picture.
elroy2288
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby waldo041 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:42 pm

elroy2288 wrote:I'd be shocked if you're disappointed. Given that the 1-10s went for 10K, my guess is you're money is safe and you could turn around and sell it. As Waldo said, there are tributes that go for the same price. You could call Kevin Burkett and get his take on how this prototype compares. One thing you might want to check is that the fingerboard radius is not flat, like the vintage ones. I know three of the production models are rounded like a modern guitar. Kevin recommends it, so I assume the prototype is not flat. As for the switch, don't worry about it. I know Stu has the extra switch on board in the clip of him that Waldo shared and it is a non-issue aesthetically. PM me if you want a picture.

Interesting they would not have kept the flat radius like the originals. I just read recently that Eddie Van Halen would remove his frets to flatten and remove the radius of his necks so that when he made big bends he did not fret those bends out. I wonder if that is whey Jerry liked a flat fretboard?

~waldo
waldo041

Postby hippieguy1954 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:24 pm

What's the radius on this one?
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby mgbills » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:06 pm

I sent a message to ask the question.

And that is a great question. I've added a Moses graphite neck to my main Strat, and it's flat as far as I can tell. I would not be opposed to a flat fretboard on a TB.
mgbills

Postby tcsned » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:36 am

waldo041 wrote:Interesting they would not have kept the flat radius like the originals. I just read recently that Eddie Van Halen would remove his frets to flatten and remove the radius of his necks so that when he made big bends he did not fret those bends out. I wonder if that is whey Jerry liked a flat fretboard?
~waldo

Possibly so, he did like to stretch his strings. It's more of an issue with Strat and Teles with the really arched fretboards (7' I think) than Gibsons or more modern guitars which seem to run 10"-16". Or Warmoth necks that are compound radius.
tcsned

Postby tigerstrat » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:54 pm

mgbills wrote:And where do I put the OBEL switch, and not alter the original appearance?

Ug.

Shouldn't be too hard. Replace one of the pots with one that features a push-pull DPDT switch, something like:http://www.mojotone.com/guitar-parts/Potentiometers_x/CTS-500K-DPDT-Push-Pull-Potentiometer#.VmXj1bgrLmc
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Next

Return to Everything Else