tube amps?

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

tube amps?

Postby JONZILLA » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:56 am

Ola! I am Jonzilla. I am currently playing through a Marshall 50dfx. I don't play electric guitar anywhere except at home (I do an acoustic duo with my pal at the local coffee shop) so I don't need any giant sound. I am interested in purchasing a small (50watt?) tube-driven amplifier and really don't know where to start. I have checked out Fender's selection, but I have no idea what I'm lookin at. Anybody own one of these small tube amps and is the tone worth the extra 3 or 400 bucks?
phriend or foe...who'll ever know?
JONZILLA
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby strumminsix » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:34 am

Tube amps are totally worth it. The Fender Hotrod Deluxe is a nice small tube amp.
strumminsix

Postby waldo041 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:24 am

FWIW.

i currently play out with a modded HRDx that has all 12AT7 preamp tubes for some clean headroom. one thing about the Hrdx is that it is a decent loud tube amp. For a coffee shop gig you'd probably be really happy with one of the limited edition tweed blues junior or just a blues junior. by buddy has three Blues juniors and his newest L.E. Tweed one was by far the cleanest i have played out of the three. that is if you want some clean overhead at a decent volume. i would have no problem using the Blues Junior tweed ot not for some of the smaller bars we play and have. the hrdx is more suited for the 3, 4, 5 piece band, not really an acoustic duo or jammin at home, but you can build a volume box for the fx loop of it to tame the output of it. that's what i did for my apartment. i am currently looking into getting a blues junior for rehearsals and jammin at home.

just my 2 cents.

peace,
waldo
Last edited by waldo041 on Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby wisedyes » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:29 am

If all you are doing is using it at home, a 50 watter will probably be way more than you need. One thing to consider about tube amps is that for them to really sound good, the tubes need to have juice cranking through them. And 50 tube watts is actually pretty damn loud for say, your living room.

One thing to look for, if you are set on getting one about that powerful, is a master volume control. This allows you to saturate the tubes by turning up the master volume, but keeping the output volume low so as not to scare or enrage the neighbors.

The Traynor Custom Valve series is an excellent alternative to Fender amps. IMHO, the "dirty" channel on the Traynors is much more useful than on Fenders, and the Traynors are much better built. The YCV40 is a 40 watter, and there is a 20 watt version that is actually more suited to living room use. The Peavey Classic 30 is a nice amp that doesn't get the respect it deserves. Another thing you may want to consider is going on ebay and looking at older Fender Princetons or Champs - nice, smaller tube amps that sound great, and aren't too expensive, usually. Lots of them out there.

Yes, I personally think tube amps are worth it. After all, what is everyone trying to emulate with all the modelers out there? However, they are not as versatile as the newer modeling amps, not by a long shot. So it's a trade off. Do you want a one or two trick pony that does the tricks very, very well, or a pony that does evry trick in the book, but none of them as well as the two tricks the other pony does?
Out of the loop? I didn't know there was a loop!
wisedyes
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby amyjared » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:30 am

I love my Fender Deluxe Reverb reissue and I play with a band. It cranks and is as loud as I need for playing in a bar. I have a good buddy who plays solo and jazz at clubs and uses the same amp and loves it, too. It's versatile and sounds excellent.
"The only funeral you should ever try to interrupt is your own, and that should be a full-time job." -Kinky Friedman
amyjared

Postby tigerstrat » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:12 am

JZ,

Wisedyes has a major point that 50watt is WAY too much for a living room or coffee shop. Something under 20watt, possibly closer to 10 would be what you want to look for.

The Traynor 20w version is an excellent suggestion, as is the Fender Blues Jr.

The Deluxe Reverb (reissue OR Hot Rod) are good amps, but vastly overpowered for your application- you'll be forced to keep your master vol at around 1, thus you'll never get to push those power tubes. The vintage DR's are only 22watt but still louder than what you are likely looking for (and super-pricey)

My own suggestion is go find a Fender Super Champ - 18watts all-tube combo, 10" speaker, w/ reverb and an overdrive channel that is simply off the hook. They were produced from 82-86, one of the most sought-after Paul Rivera-designed Fenders, and the last point-to-point wired amp that Fender made. You can probably find on for around ... around... holy crap, looks like they are now going for over $500 on Ebay, one guy has a BuyNow price of $1049 for a crappy-looking one! Maybe I'm sitting on a gold mine!

http://www.superchamp.dk/frame.htm
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby JONZILLA » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:49 am

Maybe I shoulda been more specific. I don't want anything for playing in a coffee shop. I run everything through my PA when playing there. But for home I am Jammin with 3 to 6 of my buds with an assortment of instruments. All plugged in. The Marshall I am using now is 50 watts, and I often have it cranked (I live on the Cumberland Plateau and have no neighbors at all). Soooo, for these wildly out of control jam sessions (we've decided to call our sound funktry, the banjo being the only reason we had to add the "try") louder IS better. BTW, I'm playing mostly clean with some wah whenever it feels right. But anyway, thanks! Blues junior looks cute.
phriend or foe...who'll ever know?
JONZILLA
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby Crazy 9.5 Fingers » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:51 am

Someone above here mentioned the Peavey Classic 30. Really is a great sounding little amp.
There are only two mantras. Yum and yuk. Mine's yum.
Crazy 9.5 Fingers

Return to Everything Else