Takamine tuning woes...

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

Takamine tuning woes...

Postby JONZILLA » Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:58 pm

Hello all. I am Jonzilla. Back in January I bought a new Takamine electric acoustic (I can't recall the model number). It's a mid-grade guitar and cost about $600. Recently, I've really been having trouble with tuning the low E string. When I play it open (or fretted), I can slightly hear it changing pitch right away. It sounds like it actually changes sharp and flat by itself, ever so slightly, just enough to sound really nasty to an experience musician like myself. The tuners seem really solid and I believe they are high quality. Could this have something to do with the bridge, the nut, or truss rod maybe? Opinions?
phriend or foe...who'll ever know?
JONZILLA
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby BlobWeird » Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:24 pm

The same thing happens with my Ovation Acoustic/Electric which cost me 700. I have a tuner on it and it shows that when i hit the string the note is a little sharp then it suddenly drops into perfect tuning. I can definitely hear the note change so its not the tuner. Any advice as i can greatly use it myself?
BlobWeird

Postby mutant_dan » Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:38 pm

Sounds like the string is binding a bit in the nut slot. You can either try to file the slot a little bit yourself or take it to a local luthier.

You could try a little bit of pencil lead in the slot to lubricate the string. My other suggestion would be to try a smaller string gauge.
mutant_dan
Bobby
Bobby

Postby strumminsix » Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:08 pm

Bingo, Dan. Always have a mechanical pencil as you restring. Pencils write with graphite, not lead. Thereofre running it on the nut and saddle ensure smooth sliding back and forth.
strumminsix

Postby BlobWeird » Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:29 pm

Mutant dan and strummin thanks alot. Im gonna have to try that out. As for a smaller string guage it wont help cuz i got the smallest they come. .8s
BlobWeird

Postby tigerstrat » Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:12 pm

Are you properly stretching out the new string(s) after putting them on?
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby BlobWeird » Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:33 pm

Tigerstrat once again nice try lol but yes I always stretch out the strings. Which can be hard with an .8 guage high e lol but yes. So Im guessin I might just bring it to a luthier eventually.
BlobWeird

Postby JONZILLA » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:47 am

Thanks for the tips, guys. I'll have to try the pencil lead I guess, since I always thoroughly stretch new strings before take-off. I've been wanting to upgrade to a bone nut and bridge anyway, so maybe that will help, too. If nothing else works... I guess I'll just trade in. Cuz its drivin me CRAZY...
phriend or foe...who'll ever know?
JONZILLA
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Return to Everything Else