Speaker Help

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

Speaker Help

Postby WSPHead » Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:59 am

Hi all. I have 2 DLK speaker Cabinets that have a Tweeter a mid range and a 12" sub. The subs deteriorated and I threw them away. I am looking to get a replacement subs for the cabinets. The cabinet says 8 ohms 100 RMS. What should I look for when buying new subs? Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Thanks!
:smile:
WSPHead
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby strumminsix » Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:59 pm

Are you sure they are subs and not just woofers? I'd guess that your configuration was tweeter & mids & woofer.

Get the speakers out of the trash before garbage day and pull any information you can off them: brand, model, range, ohms...
strumminsix

Postby myoung6923 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:16 am

well you have a few options - you probably shouldn't have thrown that speaker out - you could have just taken it to be re-coned. It would be cheaper than a new speaker and it would be restored to the original factory specs.

I assume that this is a PA speaker and that you have another one that matches? If so, then you are going to want have a pretty closely matched pair as far as the wattage rating (RMS) and frequency response. If this is the case, then get the model # and manufacturer and do some searches - try USSPEAKER.com - they have lots of options. Also, try ebay - you might find the exact one.

If it's not a matched pair, then you can go with a variety of speakers as long as it is 8 ohms and at least 100 W RMS. A great speaker, and the one main 12" speaker that the dead used in the wall of sound as well as in speaker cabinets right up until the end - including jerry's 3 x 12 speaker cabinet - was the JBL E 120 - it is 8 watts (watch out though - there is a 16 watt version). It is a beautiful and powerful speaker - 300 W. That doesn't mean that it has to run at that wattage - it just means that it can handle it. A lot of people use them in guitar amps and pa speakers and monitors from 25 watts up. The speaker is not produced anymore but it is still a highly sought speaker because of it's brilliant quality. Look on ebay - there's almost always a few for sale.
myoung6923

Return to Everything Else