Old Groups

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

Old Groups

Postby ebick » Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:05 pm

So, they announced that Van Morrison is going to be playing nearby in January, that he hasn't toured in years. Anyone ever see him live? Comments.

And so I started to wonder about old groups that never did get back together for the "Reunion tour". For example, I don't recall ELP ever reuniting. Seals & Crofts comes to mind. Loggins & Messina.

List on.....
Ed

First Show - 5/5/77
Last Show - 3/28/93
ebick

Postby jck_strw » Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:47 pm

I haven't seen Van live, but if I had the opportunity to go I would. Van's the man.

Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd are the two that jump out to me.
http://db.etree.org/jck_strw - Tapelist
-----
"Now get back to the stands before I shave off half your mustache and shove it up your left nostril. "
Bad News Bears
jck_strw

Postby Crazy 9.5 Fingers » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:26 pm

I recently saw Van in concert on HDTV. He has a great band put together, big band with a few acoustic players, some multi-instrument people I think too, really great chill vibe. I was pretty blown away. I didn't see a lot of it, I caught it flipping channels, but what I did see was pretty awesome, actually outstanding. Van's voice is still amazing. I think if I were you I would definitely go see him.
There are only two mantras. Yum and yuk. Mine's yum.
Crazy 9.5 Fingers

Postby amyjared » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:04 am

I saw Van twice, once on Dead tour at Wolfgang's in DC and at the Gorge in Washington with Dylan and Joni Mitchell and he rocks! He even plays sax and harmonica more these days. He wears this awesome fedora and looks like someone's banker, but he has more soul than I've seen since James Brown. From what I have heard, he has stagefright, and doesn't like to play live much. Catch it when you can!!
"The only funeral you should ever try to interrupt is your own, and that should be a full-time job." -Kinky Friedman
amyjared

Postby tigerstrat » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:47 am

Van's recent Austin City Limits appearance was excellent , and it was great to hear one of my alltime faves "Cleaning Windows"... however I would be prepared for anything- anyone else see Van's totally toasted-drunk and godawful performance of "Moondance" on the Late Show a few years back? I'm talking EMBARRASSING! His keyboardist had to finish singing the song for him.
Last edited by tigerstrat on Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby tigerstrat » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:06 am

ELP has reunited at least a couple of times: at one point it was with Cozy Powell on drums in stead of Carl Palmer (but it was still ELP)... later on (sometime in the 90's) I heard them do a radio in-studio performance with Carl Palmer back in the band.

I don't even know who Seals & Croft is...except...except...are they classifiable as Yacht Rock ? :lol: :lol: :roll:
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby mutant_dan » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:31 am

Loggins and Messina re-united last year and played the Greek Theater in Berkeley.

Speaking of the Greek, back in 1990, Van was playing the Greek theater with a start time of 2 pm.

That very same weekend Garcia was playing the Warfield.

Here is how it went for me, Friday night Garcia, Saturday and Sunday, Van in the afternoon, Garcia in the evening.
mutant_dan
Bobby
Bobby

Postby d-v-s » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:26 am

tough question. most groups have pulled off a reunion of some sort, and if they haven't it's probably because of the members is no longer with us.

Of the remaining groups, the only one that I could come up with was the J Geils Band, with Peter Wolf as the lead singer. I saw Geils play in a local bar a few years back. and the band was tight, but wihtout Wolf on vocals, they were just another blues band.
d-v-s
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Return to Everything Else