advice on Herring and Trucks albums

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

advice on Herring and Trucks albums

Postby d-v-s » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:33 am

I must confess that I don't own any Jimmy Herring or Derek Trucks albums. I've heard Herring play with Jazz is Dead, and Trucks with the Allmans.

I was looking to pick up some music from either or both of these guys, but I don't want to randomly pick an album. I prefer live recordings, if they're available. Any recommendations??
d-v-s
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby colotic » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:05 am

vegoose / halloween 2006 widespread panic shows in vegas for mr. herring. allman bros beacon theatre 2004 / debut album for mr. trucks...

"let the music set you free"
colotic
Wall of Sound
Wall of Sound

Postby hobbsy » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:32 am

Check out nugs.net. Upper right hand corner click on "free stash." Free downloads of all kinds of jam bands including a derek trucks show and plenty of jimmy herring stuff with phil and friends.
hobbsy
Brent
Brent

Postby tigerstrat » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:10 pm

For Herring, go directly to his albums with Col. Bruce Hampton & The Aquarium Rescue Unit. I believe there are two, but I don't know their titles... live music rules!
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby mttourpro » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:55 pm

Very ironic that Tigerstrat said exactly what I was gonna say....the best (IMHO) cd to try to get of Col Bruce and The ARU with Jimmy on it is Mirrors of Embarrassment....as an added bonus, O'teil Burbich and Jeff Supe are also on it...I rate it as a desert island top ten to have----every note on it is worth listening to repeatedly. One of my all time favs. I believe it was released around 1991 or 92, so it'll also give you some sense of these great players progression(s) over the years.
mttourpro

Postby runawaymatt » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:38 pm

Go to the archive.org and download derek trucks from live oak florida at the wannee festival. Unbeleivable set of music with several guests but plenty of derek.

As for herring check this out:
http://www.archive.org/details/codetalk ... -19.flac16

have fun listening. :-)
runawaymatt
Vince
Vince

Return to Everything Else