Legalized Marijuana's Shortcoming

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

Legalized Marijuana's Shortcoming

Postby Shooster » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:27 am

Well, the polls are closed now and the results for the legalize marijuana initiatives in Nevada and Colorado are in: it's a no go.

In Colorado, the nay's outnumbered the yay's by somewhere around 250,000 votes.

In Nevada, the nay's outnumbered the yay's by somewhere around 70,000 votes.

Shucks.
Shooster
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby Crazy 9.5 Fingers » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:42 am

I wonder how many stoners bailed on voting. Maybe if there were free cookies or something at the polls... anyway, complacency is a killer.
There are only two mantras. Yum and yuk. Mine's yum.
Crazy 9.5 Fingers

Postby amyjared » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:59 am

I'm always amazed at this (I know, I shouldn't, but I can't help it!), how so many people can be so clueless. I try to understand the rational of the other side to each issue, but I've not heard a valid and rational argument against legalization. Not one. Anyone?

The other thing I don't get is why the NRA hasn't come out pro-drug. Their slogan, "Guns don't kill people, People kill people" can be directly applied to drugs and drug use! Otherwise, they are a complete contradiction and should be viewed as nothing more than a joke.
"The only funeral you should ever try to interrupt is your own, and that should be a full-time job." -Kinky Friedman
amyjared

Postby LazyLightnin » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:07 pm

legal marijuana is a "pipe dream" :lol: here in ohio we have decent laws, anything 100 grams and under is a $120 ticket and a court fee, but then they hit ya with "stipulations". tho ive never had any problems with the law and that matter, i know it can get ugly. at least it was on your ballot, thats a start.

isnt the federal prison population 90% nonviolent drug offenders? for everyone of those poor guys in prison theres a rapist, murderer, child molester, running free somewhere.

the court system (200 some-odd years old and still not updated) works like a buisness itself, like a corporation. sure they get $ from taxpayers (plenty of $) but then after all the politics and crazy spending they go thru, theres little left for them to squander. they make a KILLING off people busted for marijuana, pipes, dui's, public intox, disorderly conduct etc..

in ohio we have a HUGE problem with our police force. dirty cops, inept judges (one of our most popular judges got 2 dui's in 6 months, served no time, payed no fee and then got re-elected). in northeastern ohio, home of some of the most bars in the world, more dui's are given out annually than in colorado and california combined. thats straight from my P.O.'s lips. and you gotta figure after a fine: $500 court costs: $300 liscience : $450 it can add up pretty quick. and especially if you need a lawyer. (mine does me for free, we party and jam)
If they catch 5-10 guys a night that feeds them well. even the towing company gets fed.

we had a guy driving our company van down 480 (highway thru westside cleveland) was smokin a doob, and someone called from their cellphone on the road. man this poor dude got everything, dui, paraphenelia, the works.

But, there will always be some dumb kid who starts smokin crack and robbing little old ladies purses, and what does he tell the authorities? that he started off smokin pot in high school. and theres your catch phrase "marijuana is a gateway drug"

a few more generations, and we might have legalized weed, but not with the geezers in power recently.

btw, anyone catch those great specials on History channel on drug prohibition? some pretty good programming, y'all should catch it when its on.
LazyLightnin

Postby phpbb » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:19 pm

The major issue with the colorado law, as it was written, is that there was a clause in it that made it legal for a person 18 or older to transfer marijuana to a minor as long as no cash was exchanged. That was the issue that everyone got hung up on.
phpbb

Postby jck_strw » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:36 pm

amyjared wrote:but I've not heard a valid and rational argument against legalization.

Duh! Because it's illegal!

;)
http://db.etree.org/jck_strw - Tapelist
-----
"Now get back to the stands before I shave off half your mustache and shove it up your left nostril. "
Bad News Bears
jck_strw

Postby phreaker » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:45 pm

I'm still suprised at the amount of people who still think marijuana can kill you.

I mean, c'mon, that is SO TOTALLY 1950's!

Lately, laws and cops in my town have been chilling out about all this.

And now, since the mid-terms, Kansas is more blue than red! (as far as our leaders, at least)

But wow, colorado was a no-go? and by a landslide?
phreaker

Postby shakedown_04092 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:59 pm

phpbb wrote:The major issue with the colorado law, as it was written, is that there was a clause in it that made it legal for a person 18 or older to transfer marijuana to a minor as long as no cash was exchanged. That was the issue that everyone got hung up on.

That's retarted! Why the hell didn't they take that out of the bill?!?!?! Let's go people!
Play music, expand the mind, inspire...

"We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey" - Japanese poet Kenji Miyazawa

www.myspace.com/heavydime

shakedown_04092

Postby strumminsix » Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:21 pm

Makes no difference what they do locally it is still illegal under federal law and state law cannot make something legal that is illegal federally.

So these whacked politicians who push these bills are doing nothing besides blowing wind since they know where the real change should be...
strumminsix

Postby Billbbill » Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:25 pm

I'm with shakedown on this. What bone :lol: headed stoner decided on that provision?

What? - adults can't legally get high because somebody had to be able to legally slip little Johnny a spleef?

What, did he need a bong hit to be more creative in designing his little shoebox nature scene for show and tell?

I can see them now - sitting in the baackroom stock area of some organic grocery passing a j putting together the language of the bill, "No way man, everybody smokes or nobody smokes."

:-)
Billbbill

Postby jck_strw » Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:29 pm

strumminsix wrote:Makes no difference what they do locally

I disagree. It makes a large difference if states start enacting laws to decriminalize marijuana/drugs/whatever. Once one state starts to do it, another make take notice and do something similar. And then another and another, etc. Once the snowball starts rolling, the federal government may then take notice.

Small changes work up to big changes. You can't decriminalize marijuana over night, but you can plant the seeds of change. ;)

However, I do agree that federal law trumps state law so it's not like there would've been a huge bong party on every street in Denver if this law passed.
http://db.etree.org/jck_strw - Tapelist
-----
"Now get back to the stands before I shave off half your mustache and shove it up your left nostril. "
Bad News Bears
jck_strw

Postby Crazy 9.5 Fingers » Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:33 pm

Lazy L, that was a great post and you hit it on the head. I think the pro legalization lobbyists have gone about this the entire wrong way. As you so eloquently noted, the crux of this issue is $. That is the bottom line for everything in this nation. And that is fine, it is what it is. But simply stated, the govt. has more to gain with pot being illegal and sadly, the unenlightened voters don't see the flaws in our legal system regarding drug laws, sentences, etc. People can get wacked out on pharmaceuticals, I know I have, and it is pretty much no biggy. Govt/Insurance/Pharm. companies all sleep in the same bed. My point is thus, the lobbyists need to come up with a plan that gives the govt. an opportunity to really cash in on legalizing. How about you pitch a plan where you have to pay a monthly fee to have a pot license. Smoke without the license, get a fine. I know the purists would say, "how wrong it is to have to pay for that, the government has no right, blah blah blah." Get that hippy rhetoric out of here. I would gladly pay plenty of bucks to be granted the privilege to smoke weed. Maybe I would apply for the grower's license, which naturally would require significant fees and licensing fees, and govt. regulated inspections at my expense to operate the high powered sodium lights, the hydroponic system, etc. Not a problem. Someone needs to make this plan a reality. And yes, I am high at this moment.

It could kind of be like American Express. The heavy hitter smokers would pay a higher rate and annual fee to have the Platinum, or even the coveted Black card membership. We could rebuild an entire New Orleans with the money this concept would generate. We could build another backup New Orleans in case this one floods again. Kind of like in Blazing Saddles though that was only a facade of Rock Ridge. But I digress..

We could rid ourselves of unemployment. And we could have a president, who late at night, smoked a doob and his wife would give him a BJ and he could relax, and we would stop the urge to go to war. We would rid ourselves of our crude oil need becuase everyone would be too stoned to get up and go drive somewhere. Not to mention, you would feel so great stoned on your couch, why go drive anywhere? And no one would get hurt except the drug dealers on the street who charge $60 for 2.0 grams. Screw them.

I'll keep working on the plan in the meantime. I think if the pot lobbyists and a group of entrepreneurs could brainstorm this thing for a few weeks out in Arizona on a golf course, we would be all right. Who's coming with me?
There are only two mantras. Yum and yuk. Mine's yum.
Crazy 9.5 Fingers

Postby shakedown_04092 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:23 pm

Crazy 9.5 Fingers wrote:Lazy L, that was a great post and you hit it on the head. I think the pro legalization lobbyists have gone about this the entire wrong way. As you so eloquently noted, the crux of this issue is $. That is the bottom line for everything in this nation. And that is fine, it is what it is. But simply stated, the govt. has more to gain with pot being illegal and sadly, the unenlightened voters don't see the flaws in our legal system regarding drug laws, sentences, etc. People can get wacked out on pharmaceuticals, I know I have, and it is pretty much no biggy. Govt/Insurance/Pharm. companies all sleep in the same bed. My point is thus, the lobbyists need to come up with a plan that gives the govt. an opportunity to really cash in on legalizing. How about you pitch a plan where you have to pay a monthly fee to have a pot license. Smoke without the license, get a fine. I know the purists would say, "how wrong it is to have to pay for that, the government has no right, blah blah blah." Get that hippy rhetoric out of here. I would gladly pay plenty of bucks to be granted the privilege to smoke weed. Maybe I would apply for the grower's license, which naturally would require significant fees and licensing fees, and govt. regulated inspections at my expense to operate the high powered sodium lights, the hydroponic system, etc. Not a problem. Someone needs to make this plan a reality. And yes, I am high at this moment.

It could kind of be like American Express. The heavy hitter smokers would pay a higher rate and annual fee to have the Platinum, or even the coveted Black card membership. We could rebuild an entire New Orleans with the money this concept would generate. We could build another backup New Orleans in case this one floods again. Kind of like in Blazing Saddles though that was only a facade of Rock Ridge. But I digress..

We could rid ourselves of unemployment. And we could have a president, who late at night, smoked a doob and his wife would give him a BJ and he could relax, and we would stop the urge to go to war. We would rid ourselves of our crude oil need becuase everyone would be too stoned to get up and go drive somewhere. Not to mention, you would feel so great stoned on your couch, why go drive anywhere? And no one would get hurt except the drug dealers on the street who charge $60 for 2.0 grams. Screw them.

I'll keep working on the plan in the meantime. I think if the pot lobbyists and a group of entrepreneurs could brainstorm this thing for a few weeks out in Arizona on a golf course, we would be all right. Who's coming with me?

Excellent post, my friend. I can just picture you sitting there all stoned coming up with this great idea...I've done it on many occasions. And just for the record, Blazing Saddles is the best movie ever made, IMO. Thanks for the laugh, and reminding me why pot is so much fun to smoke. Off I go!
Play music, expand the mind, inspire...

"We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey" - Japanese poet Kenji Miyazawa

www.myspace.com/heavydime

shakedown_04092

Postby confusions_prince » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:57 pm

Small steps first. Cookies for voters amendment?
"More then ever, the world needs love and the Grateful Dead!" -Vince
confusions_prince
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby Shooster » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:53 pm

I've read before that pot is basically decriminalized anyways in Denver, no charges , etc. You could get a $100 fine if a state copper got you with it, but otherwise no biggie?

Anyone else heard this?

Just the fact that Nevada has 250,000 who voted in support is mind boggling... think about it, $50 bucks an 1/8 each (at least in Idaho), and you got $1,250,000 just from that much, which could just last some a day or two.
Shooster
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Next

Return to Everything Else