Lack of Dead Bass Tabs?

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

Lack of Dead Bass Tabs?

Postby Pigpen » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:18 pm

Why are there no dead bass tabs anywhere? I know there are a few websites with tabs but nothing to this or even close to this extent. So if anyone knows a good website that would be really appreciated!
Pigpen
Billy
Billy

Postby pinkfloyd188 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:26 pm

i agree, though the few bass tabs they do have on here are very basic.

what i do is just look up the tune i wanna play, grab the chord structure, then hit up this post for the scale and key to play in.

it gets the job done, but then again, i feel its better to firgure out lesh's runs by ear rather than read them off a web page. though trying to play exactly like phil is like repainting the mona lisa stroke for stroke :?
pinkfloyd188
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby BlobWeird » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:49 am

I agree. I myself am not a bassist. Although I occasionally mess around with a bass i play 6 string but I have a friend that I jam with alot and he isnt the greatest just yet so he cant really pick up a song without some preface. And I have trouble comin up with bass riffs because i think too much about what i would play as a guitarist so yeah we should add a bass section to this site and have people submit some tunes. I could submit a live version tab of Loser and Morning Dew. Well at least the first couple verses of each. But that would be enough to get the feel.
BlobWeird

Postby CaptainTrips » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:16 pm

I was always under the impression that the lack of tabs was because Phil improvised so much that -- he just found a key and scale and worked with it. Although really when you think about it, isnt that all that Jerry did?
CaptainTrips

Postby pinkfloyd188 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:17 pm

you pretty much need to know your modes and scales and your set. ive only been playing bass for 2 years and ive had a 6 string for a year, a teacher showed me mixolydian mode and i just mess around with that all day...

but getting back on topic, just make up your own funky bass lines. i often listen to bluegrass, country, soul, etc. and incorporate the bass lines into dead songs. its pretty cool if you know what your doing and aren't flailing around.
pinkfloyd188
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby tigerstrat » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:43 am

CaptainTrips wrote:Although really when you think about it, isnt that all that Jerry did?

Yep. And we have plenty of (at least opinions of) specific tabs to specific Jerry parts of songs (even though he played so many things so many different ways at each performance), so why not Phil tabs too??? Plenty of fairly specific little runs and riffs for ALL of the hundreds of songs.

I'll bite: because a bassist with the know-how and ear and willingness and time to do it just hasn't shown up on this site and DONE it.

G|--------------------------------------
D|--------------------------------------
A|--------------------------------------
E|--------------------------------------

or

B|--------------------------------------
G|--------------------------------------
D|--------------------------------------
A|--------------------------------------
E|--------------------------------------
B|--------------------------------------
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby maximinus » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:53 am

I'm a bass player in a Grateful Dead cover band.

It's a mix of 1) having the time 2) getting it right 3) deciding actually *how* it should be played

Often it's far better to play over the chord structure (or against it, even) and jam like mad.
Science is open source religion
maximinus
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby tigerstrat » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:38 am

maximinus wrote:Often it's far better to play over the chord structure (or against it, even) and jam like mad.

That's great as an overall philosophy (inclusive of guitarists and all players) but frequently songs have signature passages that benefit greatly from knowledge of exactly how a certain piece of melody was typically played or harmonized. Examples off the top of my head might be Lazy Lighning, St. Stephen, Cassidy, Playin In The Band, Bird Song, Crazy Fingers...
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby Pigpen » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:16 pm

I just think that for an earlish bass player a little bit of the song or all of it would help out alot
Pigpen
Billy
Billy

Postby shakedown_04092 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:49 pm

I hope someone does it - I know my brother, who plays bass in our band, could greatly benefit from it, and maybe even contribute to it.

LET'S GO BASS PLAYERS! STEP UP TO THE PLATE!

DON'T BE SHY!
Play music, expand the mind, inspire...

"We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey" - Japanese poet Kenji Miyazawa

www.myspace.com/heavydime

shakedown_04092

Postby pinkfloyd188 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:40 pm

i mean, i could tab out what i know for each grateful dead song i'm able to play, but that would include giving references and links to each individual song, and that could get frustrating.

either way, i'll start this as my new little side project. give me like a week and i'll start us off :-)
pinkfloyd188
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby tigerstrat » Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:51 am

pinkfloyd188 wrote:that would include giving references and links to each individual song, and that could get frustrating.

Not necessarily so imo, but then you'd know how people like ebick or J. Darks, etc. sometimes feel. :lol: Shit, for starters, I'll step up and bass tab one request... might take awhile. Any req's?
tigerstrat

Postby Pigpen » Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:26 pm

yay these last 2 responses is what everyone wants, personnaly i would request a pretty basic list of keys for the bass or The Other One on DP 28 or what ever you bass players wanna tab out
Pigpen
Billy
Billy

Postby tigerstrat » Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:01 pm

There is already a thread for keys and scales. The list will be the same for all instruments and voices. I thought we were talking about tabbing a song's particular bass lines and turnarounds, etc. (from which to freely deviate)
tigerstrat

Postby pinkfloyd188 » Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:17 pm

started a new post for some bass tabs, check it out and feel free to add/comment at will.

http://community.rukind.org/viewtopic.php?t=1640
pinkfloyd188
Rosebud
Rosebud

Next

Return to Everything Else