Sam Cutlers book

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

Sam Cutlers book

Postby cripeowner » Thu May 01, 2014 5:16 am

Just finished " you can't always get what you want" and would recommend it. It's a great read.
cripeowner
Jester
Jester

Re: Sam Cutlers book

Postby ricepr » Thu May 01, 2014 3:38 pm

second this. Very good book indeed
ricepr
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby Charlie » Thu May 01, 2014 3:46 pm

I read it a couple of years ago and agree it's a great read. I'm wondering what you guys make of Cutler's conspiracy theories around the Altamont Concert. (eg bad acid being distributed by the feds and a clandestine government agent bullying his way into the organisation of the concert.) I'm still unsure whether to take him seriously or whether this is an attempt by Cutler to distance himself from the actual events.
Charlie
Brent
Brent

Postby the highway terror » Mon May 12, 2014 1:43 pm

I going to try to get the book at the library, it sounds like a good read.
the highway terror
Donna
Donna

Postby the highway terror » Mon May 12, 2014 1:47 pm

also if you enjoy convoluted conspiracy theories about the 60's you'll love this !
who thinks this stuff up ?

http://www.biblebelievers.org.au/aquarian.htm
the highway terror
Donna
Donna

Postby tatittle » Mon May 12, 2014 3:52 pm

I don't even know what "bad acid" is...except placebo. Strichnine? sp? Rat poison doesn't make people violent who aren't already violent. There are quotes of Hells Angels talking about how much they enjoy fighting on acid. The notion that somebody could cause violence merely by distributing adulterated tabs is pretty ludicrous. The guy who was killed had a gun, a history as a speed freak and violence etc. Possible people distributed bad drugs, to speculate that they somehow intended to instigate violence (and succeeded) is pretty ridiculous though.
tatittle

Location: NJ via Bklyn; Detroit; Charleston; Boulder; Miami; D.C.; etc

Postby Charlie » Mon May 12, 2014 6:49 pm

tatittle wrote:I don't even know what "bad acid" is...except placebo. Strichnine? sp? Rat poison doesn't make people violent who aren't already violent. There are quotes of Hells Angels talking about how much they enjoy fighting on acid. The notion that somebody could cause violence merely by distributing adulterated tabs is pretty ludicrous. The guy who was killed had a gun, a history as a speed freak and violence etc. Possible people distributed bad drugs, to speculate that they somehow intended to instigate violence (and succeeded) is pretty ridiculous though.

Maybe it was the leftover brown acid from Woodstock.

Seriously though, I think it's reasonable to say that Cutler was made the fall guy for the Altamont debacle, which by all reports was a f..k up waiting to happen.
Charlie
Brent
Brent

Postby the highway terror » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:21 pm

tatittle wrote:I don't even know what "bad acid" is...except placebo. Strichnine? sp? Rat poison doesn't make people violent who aren't already violent. There are quotes of Hells Angels talking about how much they enjoy fighting on acid. The notion that somebody could cause violence merely by distributing adulterated tabs is pretty ludicrous. The guy who was killed had a gun, a history as a speed freak and violence etc. Possible people distributed bad drugs, to speculate that they somehow intended to instigate violence (and succeeded) is pretty ridiculous though.

Meredith Hunter was the guy who was killed, He didn't just have a gun, he shot an Angel
(the Angel in question was a fugitive at the time and couldn't go to a hospital)

Once the deal for having the free show in GG Park fell through, the show should have been cancelled
it was a disaster waiting to happen and the Stones not Cutler are to blame.
the highway terror
Donna
Donna

Postby tatittle » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:52 pm

I guess its human nature to always look to blame a person...for a 3rd parties actions no less. That said, hiring Angels for security (even if only the stage) and then getting them drunk as payment is pretty naïve. Idealism often comes along with a heavy dose of naivete though. Bottom line is these things happen occasionally whenever large groups assemble, the alternative is eradicating freedom and not allowing concerts...Ill take my chances on the former. Freedom and security are opposites, and increasing one by definition reduces the other.
tatittle

Location: NJ via Bklyn; Detroit; Charleston; Boulder; Miami; D.C.; etc

Return to Everything Else