DSO - The Latest Report

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

DSO - The Latest Report

Postby mgbills » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:44 pm

Good Afternoon All,
Just saw DSO and the colossal Crystal Ballroom in Portland, OR. last Friday night.

I was re-blown away! 2-26-77 Spring Auditorium.

Jeff Mattson - Killing it. On this night his vocals were great. Ditchin' that Bryston power amp was the right move. I actually thought he was just a bit low in the mix, but other than that he was in top form.

Skip Vangelos - Best Phil representation since the last time I saw ... Phil. Awesome.

The rest of them - I mean they're all great.

Can anyone confirm the rumor that they've now played more Dead shows than the Dead? I heard this recently, but have been unable to confirm it.

If you haven't seen these guys in a while, it's time for a 2nd, 3rd or 53rd look.

I'd love to know what others think.
Peace
M
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Re: DSO - The Latest Report

Postby czyfingers » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:35 pm

I haven't seen them live lately, but I check out their videos that get posted regularly and I agree with you that they are in top form and that matson has really been shining more and more as time has gone on. I also agree that his rig improvements...particularly putting the bryston away have improved his tone immensely.
czyfingers
Mickey
Mickey

Postby TI4-1009 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:04 pm

Looking forward to seeing them at the Saranac brewery in Utica in July.
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby aiq » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:38 am

Heard them for the first time last December at the 9:30 Club in DC.

I was very impressed. Barraco is always great and the rest were quite good.

The reality is one day the OG's will be gone and I'm very glad the music will go forward and I am glad that there is demand to hear the music.
aiq
Phil
Phil

Postby rugger » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:16 am

mgbills wrote:Good Afternoon All,

Can anyone confirm the rumor that they've now played more Dead shows than the Dead? I heard this recently, but have been unable to confirm it.

M

Per JerryGarcia.com: Grateful Dead 2312 known performances
Per DSO site: 2324

Pretty remarkable.

John in San Diego
rugger
Skeleton
Skeleton

Postby mgbills » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:14 pm

I don't know whether it was intentional or coincidence, but my wife & I listened to a matrix of 2-26-77 on the way home. Jerry played the first G solo in Estimated starting low on the fretboard...so did Jeff. Dead played a hard driving Playin' into a spacey minor jam > Wheel played slow temp> Playin' Outro. The DSO version was strikingly similar in intent. Very cool

Also...Terrapin & Estimated sounded "New-ish" in the GD recording. DSO's versions were tight & right.

Loved it. Wish I could've gone on to Eugene.
mgbills

Postby waldo041 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:44 pm

Not to knock the DSO accomplishment but the GD did their number with the same set of main core guys. I remember seeing DSO at Martyrs in the beginning! They have certainly come a long way from those days and have done some amazing shows, but the entire band now is not the same as it was when it started, so the number is skewed. But i think they have set up DSO to continue on forever with many other lineups in the future, so a number is really irrelevant. The number that really counts is the one that we actually saw of the GD's 2312!

~waldo
waldo041

Postby tatittle » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:48 pm

That was exactly what I was going to post waldo... I am not familiar with their evolution but I know they have had line-up changes, and not based on deaths like the Dead. It is a terrific model with its own assets and contributions. Plus original material vs. tribute material is apples and oranges. As I heard recently, you have your whole life to write your first album, the 2nd album is where the real challenge comes. It is an amazing fact though, and illustrates what competent and dedicated musicians they are. Boy how time flies when you pass 25 yrs of age!!!
Last edited by tatittle on Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tatittle

Location: NJ via Bklyn; Detroit; Charleston; Boulder; Miami; D.C.; etc

Postby tcsned » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:24 pm

I haven't gotten to see them since John K departed and only saw 3 or 4 shows in total. But they are really cool and damn good. I saw Mattson a couple of time with Donna and he's the real deal. As to the number of shows I'd agree that it's apples to oranges. I've been playing 28 years with the same a-holes and am easily closing in on 2,000 shows but it ain't nearly the same thing. We played 600+ times in the same hometown venue that's a lot different than packing up the circus and playing 25 venues in 25 states in a tour. DSO does do a ton of travel but still not the same. I dig Dead cover bands and I've enjoyed seeing The Other Ones, The Dead, Furthur, Phil and Friends, Ratdog, etc. But it's not the same as seeing The GD or Jerry.
tcsned

Postby the highway terror » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:03 am

I haven't gotten to see DSO since Feb. '13 but I always check out the vids they post and catch any streams I hear of, they're definitely at the top of their game !
the highway terror
Keith
Keith

Postby jerrys.kids » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:42 am

As a younger head I never got the chance to see Jerry. I can barely listen to some of those 90's shows as it is. If I saw him sound like that live I may have been turned off. Who knows. I have seen DSO many times and would chose them over a 90's era dead show any day. In the end it is about the music not the lot scene right? Mattson is a beast and is on fire as of late, I just hope they keep on truckin!!!
"Mama said, don't go near that river."
jerrys.kids
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby tcsned » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:28 am

jerrys.kids wrote:As a younger head I never got the chance to see Jerry. I can barely listen to some of those 90's shows as it is. If I saw him sound like that live I may have been turned off. Who knows. I have seen DSO many times and would chose them over a 90's era dead show any day. In the end it is about the music not the lot scene right? Mattson is a beast and is on fire as of late, I just hope they keep on truckin!!!

I agree about the 90s shows, I quit going after a few really disappointing shows. It is indeed about the music not the lot scene, though that was depressing too by the 90s. DSO is an awesome band for sure, and Mattson is badass. I'd see them again if they're in the area. Still not the same gravitas or whatever you would call it as the real thing.
tcsned

Postby Searing75 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:04 pm

Not only are DSO the next best thing to the Dead, but they are also worth going to see!
All's well that sounds well.
Searing75
One More Saturday Night
One More Saturday Night

Postby mgbills » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:01 pm

At their zenith the Boys (GD) could make the Cosmos laugh, dance and weep.

Furthur, DSO (and many of the rest of you great musicians) help us remember.
mgbills

Postby mrMix » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:49 am

+1 to what he said!
I got to see DSO at the NYE show on 12/31/13. It was a good time :-). There will never be anything quite like a dead show (sorry Bobby/Phil and and the Other Ones)
mrMix
Sitting plush with royal flush. Aces back to back...
mrMix
Brent
Brent

Next

Return to Everything Else