DL'ing that Amsterdam GD video....

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

DL'ing that Amsterdam GD video....

Postby shakedown_04092 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:19 am

A week or 2 ago, someone had posted a link to this GD vid from Amsterdam:

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/sho ... hp?t=27576

I was able to DL it successfully and can watch it on my computer, but my question is this:

Q: How do I burn it to DVD so I can watch it on my TV?????

It's driving me NUTS!!!! I am using the NERO burning software, but when I go to add the files to be burned through the NERO program, there are no files in the folder (even though the files are there when I open the folder from my Desktop and click on them to play the video on my computer).

Does this make sense to anyone? Is there any way to burn these videos to DVD?? Do I Need to convert them somehow? I sure hope so.....

Thanks in advance for any/all help on this, and thanks to the person who posted the link to begin with.
Play music, expand the mind, inspire...

"We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey" - Japanese poet Kenji Miyazawa

www.myspace.com/heavydime

shakedown_04092

Postby amyjared » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:16 am

Amazing! I am having the EXACT same problem, and have been banging my head against the wall trying to figure it out! I am using a Mac and DL'd it and can watch it (I use VLC to view it) and it shows up fine, but when I go to burn it using Toast to DVD, it's nowhere to be found on my computer! It's like it doesn't exist. If anyone knows how to rectify this or why it's only showing up when we go to view it and not when we look for it to burn, please do HELP!
"The only funeral you should ever try to interrupt is your own, and that should be a full-time job." -Kinky Friedman
amyjared

Postby jck_strw » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:12 am

Wow, I missed that download. I don't remember anyone posting that. I posted some links to a DVD video, but not that one. I'm dl'ing it now.

Anyhow, the DVD in question (and others) are already encoded in the DVD format. That's why you can use a software DVD player to view them (iDVD, PowerDVD, etc.). There's two main steps to make a DVD that you can play on your set-top DVD player:

1. Encode the video stream to the DVD format
2. Burn said encoded video onto a DVD

In these Grateful Dead-DVD vids, step 1 is already done (which is nice, because that's the longest part of this process; it's not unusual for it to take several hours to encode, but only 15 minutes to burn). You just need to do step 2.

So, if you're on Windows, find a DVD burning program that will burn DVD-encoded video like this. Usually there's an option to burn from VIDEO_TS (which is the folder that houses all the VOB/BUP/IFO files). Everything contained under the VIDEO_TS folder is what you need to burn it to a DVD.

Toast will do this, Nero will do this. It depends on the version of the program you're using. Here's a guide I found for Nero:

http://www.videohelp.com/nerodvd

That videohelp.com site is a good one and should answer most questions. Feel free to post any additional questions though and me or someone else will lend a hand.
http://db.etree.org/jck_strw - Tapelist
-----
"Now get back to the stands before I shave off half your mustache and shove it up your left nostril. "
Bad News Bears
jck_strw

Postby waldo041 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:15 am

i use dvd shrink(it's free) to turn the files into an image file (.iso) and in nero Burn An Image.

oh yeah you can also view them files with dvd shrink.

peace,
waldo
waldo041

Return to Everything Else