wtf?

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

wtf?

Postby spilly » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:42 pm

my power went out at 10:30 on thursday night. It just came back on. the strom was incredible. the snow wasn't bad, but before the snow we had hail the size of quarters that weighed down the trees, when they got too heavy and started to snap it sounded like a fireworks display. the lighning was flashing red and blue due to the temperal convergance, it was awe-inspiring to watch.

I haven't been a suburbanite long, so I didn't realize what would happen without the sub-pump working. I basically live in my basement, my golf clubs, a few guitars and an amp were on the floor. the water was about four inches deep went i went down there, the clubs are okay, the guitars no so much, the amp is useless. my carpets are in the garbage and I think my furnature is fucked.

my uncle dropped off a generator when his power came back so I could drain the basement and have some heat. It was a mess. my dog drank some contaminated water and got very ill, but he's alright now.

on the bright side I found a bar to walk to 2 days in a row so I could watch my Sabre's whoop some ass.

Alot of people still don't have power, but the ones who do are helping people out. so life goes on. hopefully things will be okay by wednesday.

the biggest problems are street lights and generators. Some people have died from carbon-monocide poisoning, they apparently weren't told that their new generators must be kept outside. also with all the steet lights down people are driving like assholes, your suppost to stop at every light when there not on, but ignorant people who only care about their own agendas are getting people hurt and killed. it's a danmed shame.

But hey, the Sabre are 5-0 in the season, so life isn't all bad.

I guess it's just another day in good ol' Buffalo, N.Y.
spilly
Bear
Bear

Postby Benthegoodbum » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:02 pm

Yea, who cares about people getting hurt and dieing when a stupid sports team is winning...yippie... :?
When the going gets tough, the tough turn pro.
Benthegoodbum
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby Billbbill » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:07 pm

Hey Spilly,
Sorry to hear about your predicament but I can definitely relate. Down south state were I be we had quite the storm come throught 9/2 in the form of tropical depression Ernesto. Damned good thing it wasn't a hurricane when it came through. As it was about 200,000 to 300,000 folks were without power including me - for 4 days. Burned a lot of candles.

Trees, telephone poles, wires down all over the place.

Sounds like you've got the right tude goin on. Hang in there.

Oh and your welcome. My hapless Rangers (at least while playing your Sabres) were happy to provide you with a morale boost.
Billbbill

Postby phreaker » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:12 pm

wow, thats intense.

i gotta story kinda like that.

if any of you are familiar with famous old mansions around the country, you may have heard of the Maupintour Mansion. They live right in the oldest neighborhood in town, where all the houses are hella nice and expensive. Its at least 4 stories, and theyre property takes up like 3 acres. not to mention the place is almost 200 years old, and has more hidden passage ways and rooms than you can count.

any way, theres a tower, where my friends room is. its above a good portion of the roof, so its at least like 30 feet above ground.

one night, he had a party, and a few of us zonked out in his room on the floor. at maybe 6 in the morning (WAY too early for us to be getting up) i hear the loudest thunder my ears have ever had the pleasure of almost exploding too. i could have swarn the sound reverberated at least a hundred times before it ended, and then a huge crash right outside the house. there were probably 5 people in that room, and we all split outta that room without saying anything to eachother. we went outside and the whole neighborhood was ruined. apparently a minor tornado had touched down 30 feet away from our room.

part of his roof was split in two, the fence seperating his yard from the frat houses was blown away and we never found it, and a chimney had been struck down only feet away from our room, weighing in at a few hundred pounds, it could have easily came right through his walls and crushed us.

finally, things in the neighborhood are starting to look good again, though.
phreaker

Postby spilly » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:22 pm

sorry Ben, yesterday was the anniversary of my grandmothers death, next week is the anniversary of my fathers death (3 days after my birthday) and my entire city just fell apart. I appologize for grasping onto anything I can to keep me smiling. sometimes you have to hold onto whatever it takes, so please, bang you head on someone elses wall.

that's so pretty heavy shit spheaker, I'm glad nobody was hurt
spilly
Bear
Bear

Postby hesgone95 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:18 am

Hey Spilly,
I think I hear a song in there somewhere...lessee, something like, wake of the flood, laughing water, 2006...oh wait that sounds kinda familiar. Nevermind.

Sorry to hear about yer situation though, hope things improve real soon.
Goin' home, goin' home
By the waterside I will rest my bones
Listen to the river sing sweet songs
To rock my soul
hesgone95
Bobby
Bobby

Postby Benthegoodbum » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:28 am

Well I'm glad you apologized.:)
When the going gets tough, the tough turn pro.
Benthegoodbum
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby jck_strw » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:54 am

Sorry to hear about the (possible) loss of your guitars and the amp. Are you sure it's totalled? I thought the thing with solid-state electronics is that it's ok if it's wet, as long as it dries before you turn it on. But this may be a pre-solid-state amp.

Glad to see you have something to take your mind off your troubles...even if it is the Sabres. My Flyers play you guys tonight and I'm expecting our asses to get handed to us. It's going to be a long, cold winter for me, I think.

And you have your dog. What more could a guy want than a guitar, his dog and a bar in walking distance?
http://db.etree.org/jck_strw - Tapelist
-----
"Now get back to the stands before I shave off half your mustache and shove it up your left nostril. "
Bad News Bears
jck_strw

Postby spilly » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:27 am

thanks guys.

the guitars are fine, the amp is very old and didn't survive, but I have others and didn't use it much anyways. insurance is covering my water damage so things aren't so bad.

I just hope they can get the power straightened out in the whole city soon, people are still without, and it's cold, alot of people can't afford to replace their food in the inner-city and the shelters are down. I'll be doing my part to help my community. I going out with my chainsaw today to help clear street and yard of fallen tree branches.
This is the time for the community to pull together

Alot of releaf workers have been coming in to help out from all over, but what I fnd sickening is that they relief workers were held up and made to pay tolls to get into the city. You shouldn't charge people for helping you.

Thanks for the support
spilly
Bear
Bear

Return to Everything Else