The Mutron III

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

The Mutron III

Postby Arminius » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:03 pm

So I understand that the Mutron would be necessary to emulating the jerry sound, but I'm not quite trying to do exactly that. I'm trying to create my own sound (with jerry's as a significant influence of course, i love the guy) and decide whether or not I should shell out $300+ for a mutron. As I'm sure at least a few of you guys got mutrons, I was wondering if it was everything you thought it would be? Is it still a good piece of equipment even after all the time that has pasted since it's heyday? Are there any cheaper substitutions that you know of? Thanks
Arminius
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Re: The Mutron III

Postby NSP » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:43 am

I currently have a MuTronIII and a TruTron3, and I've had the Q-Tron Plus.

The Q-Tron is the most affordable ($170 new) and can pull off the Jer quack quite well. I really liked mine but wanted the real deal.
http://www.ehx.com/browse/envelope-filters

Love the vintage MuIII. Had mine reconditioned by Lingenberg sound and it's good as new. Beautiful organic, syrupy deep quack. But, finding one on ebay or craigslist will cost big dollars and will most likely need service to bring it up to spec.

Recently got one of the new TruTron3's and I have to say I really like it. Made by Mike Biegel who designed the original Mu. I was skeptical that it would live up to the vintage version, but it has it's own strengths that the original doesn't have. In fact, I'm going to keep both of them in my rig to be used in different situations...and the GCX switcher accommodates that nicely. e.g. I prefer how the Tru behaves with my earth drive engaged better than the MuIII. But, I like how the Mu rings out when hitting a chord (think Estimated F#m).
http://mu-fx-trutron3x.com/

The bottom line is these effects are finicky and you'll probably have to experiment to find what best suits your needs, rig, and budget.

Hope this helps :smile:
NSP
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby NSP » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:44 am

....oh, and there's a Proton in Garage Sale right now for a good price. I've never owned one, but a lot of folks around here really dig em'.
NSP
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby mgbills » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:46 am

There are several days worth of reading on this board around envelope filters. It can be overwhelming.

All the top contenders are like Italian sports cars.
Like NSP, I have all 3. Many of us have an era or a series of shows in our head. The Mutron III (not +) is the device. I would hold the TruTron as a close second, and a wonderful gizmo in it's own right. The Q does the job, and for the non-obscessed it totally functions.

Buy or build an OBEL guitar, or buy a Waldo buffer pedal from Waldo. Or ...plan to play your guitar wide open with the EF first in the chain. It'll be a source of grief if you dont.
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Postby tigerstrat » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:00 am

If I were trying to craft a completely unique sound with filter effects, the Mutron might be among the considerations, but I'd be looking hard at more intricately tweakable units like
Moog MURF, and Subdecay Prometheus.

PS, looks like our esteemed admins have their work cut out for them this morning! I thank you for your service.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby Staemius » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:42 am

To craft you own sound - I wouldn't invest in the Mutron. Just so expensive. If you're exploring, pick up a cheap used (anywhere from $20 to $45) Line 6 Otto Filter - built like a tank - good Jerry sound and you can experiment to find your own sound. I've had 5 or 6 different envelope filters and am currently playing this (on a Sarno recommendation) and enjoy it.
Staemius
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby Staemius » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:45 am

I'll add - if you want to pay a little more - perhaps the Emma Discumbobulator. I didn't like it for Jerry stuff - but it's a nice one for a variety of sounds. (And, as noted above, that Proton is a great deal)
Staemius
Terrapin
Terrapin

Return to Everything Else