Trouble Jamming?

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

Re: Trouble Jamming?

Postby tcsned » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:52 am

It happens all the time - it gets worse when you get frustrated and try to force something. Having a go to song that lightens the mood and gets things loose. We have always used Cassidy for some reason, I guess because the bass player and I use most of the jam to fuck with each other and trying to get the other to laugh. That seems to right the ship for us. If we get to bad spot and we've already played it . . . fisticuffs is always an option :lol:

As a friend of mine recently said, "never mistake a rut for a groove"
tcsned

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:38 am

Played the other night and I could not get it together - pure slop. It was just notes and not " music "
Guess I will have to get 'em next time
:x
Last edited by Tennessee Jedi on Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tennessee Jedi

Postby Arminius » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:00 am

Tennessee Jedi wrote:Played the other night and could not get it together - pure slop. It was just notes and not " music "

Like I said man, sunday. I jammed last night too actually. It's hard to play with someone when they have no idea what they are doing and they only play by ear/feel. Personally I think it's a little cliche and not cool to have no idea what you are doing and have zero musical communication skills.

I had fun though, played a lot of Devil makes three songs. If you haven't heard of them check it out, very good acoustic music. Good lyrical competence. Try "Gracefully facedown" and "All Hail"
Arminius
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:44 pm

Arminius wrote:
Tennessee Jedi wrote:Played the other night and could not get it together - pure slop. It was just notes and not " music "

Like I said man, sunday. I jammed last night too actually. It's hard to play with someone when they have no idea what they are doing and they only play by ear/feel. Personally I think it's a little cliche and not cool to have no idea what you are doing and have zero musical communication skills.

Oops I changed my post to reflect that it was myself I was not happy with
:D
Tennessee Jedi

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:12 pm

No idea if this will help or not...

For me I try to practice so that when I'm at my worst, my playing is still pretty good. I work hard at raising the quality of my shittiest playing and am constantly identifying and attacking my weaknesses. The magic moments come from there, and you can't force them to happen, but you can certainly force the music to not suck.

As far as the band not gelling, I have a different perspective on that because making the band gel IS my job. If a guitar or keyboard player doesn't know the song I'll lead them through it - preface every chord with a climb up from a V right before it and really telegraph the changes. I don't like to yell chord changes at them, it screws me up too much since I'm typically not thinking of the note names as much as relative positions and the sound of the intervals and arpeggios, but I can certainly use leading tones to indicate where things are going. Climb up to things from V, highlight the b7 if you're going down a 5th, etc. If a drummer is struggling with a beat I'll simplify what I'm doing, stop being melodic and pound that quarter note and hold the tempo steady until he finds it. But in a practice room I don't chase the magic... it's just not really why I'm there. I'm there to fix any band problems, because only once those are gone the magic has a chance of happening.
Rusty the Scoob

Postby mgbills » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:22 pm

I find stress totally inhibits any fluidity & creativity. Also, if I'm tired or didn't sleep...forget it.

Last Thursday I left work wanting to strangle a sales guy. I could barely play chords. Usually I try to grab a nap, and a bit of yoga before I play. Then a good warm up.

If I go out tired, cold, inebriated (in any way), or pissed...forget it. It's a strange thought to be playing GD music while totally sober, but if I'm stoned or had more than one beer, I'm just too slow. Which really translates to self-flagulation. I have the most fun when I'm straight and in my best possible groove. Admittedly, that's not as groovy of a groove as some of ya'all.

Peace
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:38 am

Rusty the Scoob wrote:No idea if this will help or not...

For me I try to practice so that when I'm at my worst, my playing is still pretty good. I work hard at raising the quality of my shittiest playing and am constantly identifying and attacking my weaknesses. The magic moments come from there, and you can't force them to happen, but you can certainly force the music to not suck.

I was forcing some stuff instead of laying back.Rushing thru my phrasing.
I do record everything and I try to identify my weakness - I think it helps a bit

Rusty the Scoob wrote:As far as the band not gelling, I have a different perspective on that because making the band gel IS my job. If a guitar or keyboard player doesn't know the song I'll lead them through it - preface every chord with a climb up from a V right before it and really telegraph the changes. I don't like to yell chord changes at them, it screws me up too much since I'm typically not thinking of the note names as much as relative positions and the sound of the intervals and arpeggios, but I can certainly use leading tones to indicate where things are going. Climb up to things from V, highlight the b7 if you're going down a 5th, etc. If a drummer is struggling with a beat I'll simplify what I'm doing, stop being melodic and pound that quarter note and hold the tempo steady until he finds it. But in a practice room I don't chase the magic... it's just not really why I'm there. I'm there to fix any band problems, because only once those are gone the magic has a chance of happening.

Those are good points bro
When I get lost I like to hang on someone who has the tune down and it is usually the bass or drums
I am rhythmically challenged and not that great at picking up diff grooves until its been practiced
Melodic/Harmonic - I am still trying to break out of sounding boring and bland ... I can stay in key and can get around the fretboard decent or ok but getting the sizzle going is sometimes tough.
Been thinking about solo composition more and more - where to start the solo -where to end - how to build up and tension
Works in progress
:D
Tennessee Jedi

Previous

Return to Everything Else