Jim Hall Passes Away At 83

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

Jim Hall Passes Away At 83

Postby wolftigerrosebud » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:29 pm

Too bad, I would have liked to have seen him once more before he moved on.

Later Jim.
wolftigerrosebud
Rosemary
Rosemary

Re: Jim Hall Passes Away At 83

Postby mkaufman » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:31 am

He was a great one.

mk
THE best way to score gear: http://www.auctionstud.com

For discounts on extended Dell warranties: http://advantech-ny.com/mik/advantech/DellComputerWarranty
mkaufman

Postby paulkogut » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:24 pm

Jim was one of the true giants of the instrument, I think the first jazz musician in the modern era to really embrace the guitar for what it was, rather than trying to emulate the sax or piano. A lot of what we take for granted today as 'jazz' articulation, legato, slurs, sweeps, bends, strums, open strings ringing against fretted notes, harmonics, all got brought into the mix because of Jim. Anyone here who loves the "letting the monster out of the box and see where it walks around" approach to a tune should give an ear to "I Hear A Rhapsody" on his 1975 "Live" album. On a personal note, Jim was incredibly kind and generous to me over the years, taking time to get together for some hotel room sessions when he visited Chicago and then later introducing me to musicians on the NYC scene. Anytime I get into difficult playing circumstances, I lean on his advice to "listen to the other players and try to make musical sense".
paulkogut
Donna
Donna

Postby wolftigerrosebud » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:14 am

Incredibly cool that you knew him/worked with him. I saw him perform only one time, and it was pretty magnificent. I've never heard anyone play like him.
wolftigerrosebud
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby Griffyote » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:41 pm

That Cat could play! Regrettably I never got to see him play live . He's one of a handful of the Jazz guitar Greats that when I listened to his playing..." I got it" meaning you know, I know what he is saying. Was able to communicate quite fluently with just his fingers and instrument. I hope he is issued the finest Gibson Hollowbody Harp in the heavens!
Griffyote
Brent
Brent

Postby Octal » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:42 pm

Is a frequently overlooked gem.
Octal
Terrapin
Terrapin

Return to Everything Else