Re: Tunes You Can't Stand

Postby strummingturtle » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:07 pm

I fought the law
strummingturtle
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby tcsned » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:37 pm

Mr.Burns wrote:Maybe this thread should be called "I missed the point" or "Tunes that went right over my head". I don't think any of us knows better than the band what order tunes should have been played in. The band were experts in designing effective and functional setlists and no one could have done what they did for thirty years without repeating themselves. Sometimes I skip a random song just to get to the one after it. Doesn't mean I can't stand it. If there truly are tunes that you can't tolerate maybe this music really isn't for you.

You have a point, and keep in mind that the Dead played for a lot of people with varied tastes and expectations all of whom with an equal right to be there. From some of us more hard core musician types to people who get a little bummed that they didn't play Touch of Gray or Casey Jones or whatever. Every band I like plays tunes that aren't my favorites and ones that make me go the the "skip" button, the Dead are no exception. But I like the fact that they gave their treatment to a lot of different kinds of music and am more than happy to see them play CC Rider especially when it leads to a smokin' Bird Song or something like that. Hell, now I'd be thrilled to sit through a whole show of nothing but Day Job :shock:
tcsned

Postby gr8fullfred » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:02 pm

Picasso Moon!

But to the guy who flamed Looks Like Rain, I consider that one of Bobby's best songs, and I think that Bobby DID write a few really great songs, (Music, jackStraw, truckn, LLR).
And Jerry's noodling in LLR was pretty great.

Day Job wasn't that bad, and they did not play it all that much.
gr8fullfred
Jerry
Jerry

Postby seamones » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:05 pm

foolofships wrote:I must be the weird one, because I like the stuff nobody else digs. Easy Answers (RatDog does it better, but it's a cool tune), Way to Go Home, Victim, Day Job. Except Wave to the Wind. That one can die in a fire.

Yeah Phil was on a bit of roll there with Wave, Shoe Fits and Childhood's End. What was going on there?? While Wave came a bit earlier, I guess there was just a move to a focus on anything other than Jer. Time has changed things, but at the time I was not into Days at all.

The Victim from 07/19/90 into Foolish is just awesome.
seamones
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:16 pm

gr8fullfred wrote:Picasso Moon!

But to the guy who flamed Looks Like Rain, I consider that one of Bobby's best songs, and I think that Bobby DID write a few really great songs, (Music, jackStraw, truckn, LLR).
And Jerry's noodling in LLR was pretty great.

Day Job wasn't that bad, and they did not play it all that much.

I agree w you, G Fred
Most of the good tunes are Bobs - IMHO , of course !
Let it Grow / Cassidy / MNS / Playing / Looks Like Rain / Estimated and so many more
They are great tunes that Jerry would tear it up on !
:smile:
Tennessee Jedi

Postby mgbills » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:24 pm

I'm the LLR flamer!
Love Let it Grow/Cassidy/Playing/Estimate/The Other ONe. Essential GD to me.

I just can't stomach teh LLR lyrics. Love the Jerry noodling. Song structure is fine. Words make me want to throw butter-covered Nerf toys at Bob's head. Trying to belt those sappy lyrics with sincerity...Bleck!

I'm mean...we've all been there Bob. But I like to be transported...but not transported to a room where everyone is watching a soap opera.

Sorry. Just an opinion. It just doesn't touch me.
Peace
M
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:01 pm

mgbills wrote: Words make me want to throw butter-covered Nerf toys at Bob's head.

8)
But the outro is a thing of beauty w the Jerry licks ( noodles ? yuck ) and Bob hysteria vocals !
I do like the Donna/Bob vocal thing too
The other thing I like about this one is its the only tune I use my octave box on
:-)
Tennessee Jedi

Postby James-T » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:45 pm

I used to be bored by Minglewood until recently when we've made it a staple in our set list. Learning a tune makes you appreciate it and they evolved it over time. Those 71 versions are my favorites.

Same can be said for Big River which I now think is a killer tune to perform and gets even the most unfamiliar with the Dead up and dancin.

Peace,

James
James-T
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby Grateful Dad » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:37 am

Not too many tunes come to mind for me. Even the Donna tunes in the mid to late '70's were sometimes performed with good energy by the band (but mostly they were a bathroom break time). Inserting a Donna, Brent, or Vince song always meant you had to wait longer for the next Jerry tune as the band would always skip his turn.

But really looking back on all the shows I would definitely say Brent's version of "Never Trust a Woman" I really could not stand. I get the whole blues vibe BUT there were so many other classic tunes they could have been playing instead of "Never Trust a Woman". What a waste of concert time.

Also those half-assed attempts by Vince (all due respect and may he rest in peace) on tunes like "Hey Jude", "Baba O'Reilly" really sucked. I'd rather have heard Phil sing anything (maybe) instead of that garbage. Again a waste of concert time, but then again Jerry was just not into it by that point in the Vince era so the shows generally were a bore anyway with Vince and his ice-cream truck keyboard sounds, a sick Jerry, gate crashers, and the rest of the band struggling to keep it all together.
Grateful Dad
Phil
Phil

Postby Cmnaround » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:31 am

strumminsix wrote:Say what you will about Day Job but Jerry played the living shit out of that song. It inspired him something fierce and for that I'll have an appreciation greater than the song deserves.

+1 I heard day job the other day on Sirius and it inspired me to go right home and knock out a version - this tune rocks -
http://soundcloud.com/cmnaround-1/dayjob01-wav/s-B9NfR
Cmnaround
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby James-T » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:58 pm

Like the Shoe (copied from the Jerry Tone post) I always thought Day Job was a message to us all on tour. My only failing was not to follow it!

Peace, :smile:

James

James-T
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby Octal » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:08 pm

Mr.Burns wrote:Maybe this thread should be called "I missed the point" or "Tunes that went right over my head". I don't think any of us knows better than the band what order tunes should have been played in. The band were experts in designing effective and functional setlists and no one could have done what they did for thirty years without repeating themselves. Sometimes I skip a random song just to get to the one after it. Doesn't mean I can't stand it. If there truly are tunes that you can't tolerate maybe this music really isn't for you.

Yes.

There are many songs that I didn't like until I finally understood them. An expansion of musical consciousness, so to speak.

But then again musical understanding may well just be musical temperament, or rather, disposition. I know Bobby and I have very different dispositions--it doesn't make either one of us more correct, but just gives us different ways of approaching music. And therefore these songs might not be called incorrect, or over one's head, but rather that they're outside, to the left or right, of one's head.
Octal
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby Dozin » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:27 am

Tennessee Jedi wrote:
mgbills wrote: Words make me want to throw butter-covered Nerf toys at Bob's head.

8)
But the outro is a thing of beauty w the Jerry licks ( noodles ? yuck ) and Bob hysteria vocals !
I do like the Donna/Bob vocal thing too
The other thing I like about this one is its the only tune I use my octave box on
:-)

Couldn't agree more, the outro"s are sick. I went to the Nassau show that's on Without a Net. The lights were making an effect like it was raining and lightning. The drummers were making thunder. The band was really into it, so was I! It was a highlight of that show for me.
"If you get confused,...
Listen to the music play"
Dozin

Postby bcresci » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:41 pm

Little Red Rooster. If I see a setlist with this in it, I almost don't want the entire show. Just out of fear I might accidentally listen to this tune.
bcresci
Mickey
Mickey

Postby ebick » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:36 pm

bcresci wrote:Little Red Rooster. If I see a setlist with this in it, I almost don't want the entire show. Just out of fear I might accidentally listen to this tune.

The thing I could never understand about the whole rooster/cc rider thing......I got Bob/the band wanting to do your basic 12 bar blues thing every night, but there are SO many tunes to choose from that fit that bill, they really could have had a much larger rotation of tunes for that slot.....
Ed

First Show - 5/5/77
Last Show - 3/28/93
ebick

PreviousNext

Return to Everything Else