Tunes You Can't Stand

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

Re: Tunes You Can't Stand

Postby ebick » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:01 pm

strumminsix wrote:Say what you will about Day Job but Jerry played the living shit out of that song. It inspired him something fierce and for that I'll have an appreciation greater than the song deserves.

I think we can all agree that it was the lyrics......hitting a little too close to home for many.....that people had issue with.
Ed

First Show - 5/5/77
Last Show - 3/28/93
ebick

Postby strumminsix » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:05 pm

ebick wrote:
strumminsix wrote:Say what you will about Day Job but Jerry played the living shit out of that song. It inspired him something fierce and for that I'll have an appreciation greater than the song deserves.

I think we can all agree that it was the lyrics......hitting a little too close to home for many.....that people had issue with.

Maybe. I was never on tour and by the 90s it was done so never heard it live. But I can see it being off-putting to some who thought they were "living the dream" by being on tour.
strumminsix

Postby HeadSpace » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:49 pm

Also--and this may have just been my bad luck--but it seemed like they played Day Job ALL THE TIME. It was like, Oh, God, not Day Job again. Just a total throwaway compared to all the more interesting "rockin' set closers" they could have chosen. I think they even destroyed encores by playing it there. Once in a while, fine, but man they played that tune a ton (or so it seemed).
HeadSpace
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby mgbills » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:56 pm

Funny...I can't remember even one Day Job. But I was down to 1-2 shows per year in the 90's. But by then I had a pretty keen sense of when to tune out. I called in my Vince-O-Matic brain filter. Also there was the Bobby Prophet vs Pariah model.

I have to say (again) that I was way too critical of Bob in those days. I'm all healed from that now. I was watching that Sunshine Daydream video, and he plays some killer stuff.
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Postby HeadSpace » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:00 pm

I just looked it up for kicks and it was mostly '84 and '85 when it was in heavy rotation. At one point they played four times in the space of a week, including--get this--back-to-back shows in Hartford. It made only sparse appearances before those years and disappeared completely after '86, I think. I saw a lot of shows in '85 and so I'm guessing that's why it sticks in my head, despite the fact that it was a short-lived phenomenon by Dead standards.
HeadSpace
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby mgbills » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:40 pm

I saw a lot of shows that year as well. That's funny.
All these years, and there are still numbers I don't know...or cant really hum in my head. But I'll admit, there are songs from the lexicon which are Eternal for me. Others ...meh ...they come & go. I find goodies in them every year or so, but as a rule I hit the next button.

I few years ago my wife introduced me to a little number called "Mission in the Rain." She saw more JGB shows than I did.
That was embarassing :lol:
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Postby Stellar Blues » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:43 pm

Hello all,

I think the original poster's intention was "Which song(s) really, really get to you," and causes you to jump and think: "Oh, not again!

The concept is not, for example, well, when a song wasn't played especially well, or you just weren't so interested, or perhaps you aren't in the mood for Space or Drums just then, or that Donna's rendition of You Ain't Woman Enough is just not your cup of tea.

No, this is to state a song that makes you leap forward and nip it in the bud, and then look ahead on archive.org to restore your peace of mind with a nice rendition of Mission in the Rain or Deal or something similar.

So I can understand that "Keep your day job" rankles heavily with some. Most of us would like very much to shove our day jobs. But does Day Job really, really drive you crazy? Maybe for some.

But picking just one, and one only tune, that makes me skip ahead, time and again, for me it's the very, very uninteresting and simplistic shuttling back and forth between the keys of D and A, over and over (although I do realize that there is a Bridge) known to all as Playin in the Band. It's one of the few tunes that, IMHO, in its 42 years on this earthly orb, doesn't seem to improve with repetition.

(I would have picked the equally tiresome One More Saturday Night, but I think what wins for Playin' is that the band seemed to draw it out unnecessarily for what seemed like but probably wasn't, about a half hour, and often it seemed to rise again in the same gig with a reprise, whereas they could have kept it to, say, the 4 scant minutes it deserves!)

There. That's off my chest! As they say, your mileage may vary.
Stellar Blues
TC
TC

Postby Poor Peter » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:07 pm

Walkin' Blues. Especially when it followed a rousing Jerry opener. Aw c'mon Bob, really?
Poor Peter
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby foolofships » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:45 am

I must be the weird one, because I like the stuff nobody else digs. Easy Answers (RatDog does it better, but it's a cool tune), Way to Go Home, Victim, Day Job. Except Wave to the Wind. That one can die in a fire.
foolofships
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby RiseandFall » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:41 am

But picking just one, and one only tune, that makes me skip ahead, time and again, for me it's the very, very uninteresting and simplistic shuttling back and forth between the keys of D and A, over and over (although I do realize that there is a Bridge) known to all as Playin in the Band. It's one of the few tunes that, IMHO, in its 42 years on this earthly orb, doesn't seem to improve with repetition.

I was always ecstatic when they started playing Playing in the Band because I knew things would surely move out of music mode into transportation mode.
I like(d) transportation mode. A whole lot!
RiseandFall
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby NSP » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:57 am

Stellar Blues wrote:
There. That's off my chest! As they say, your mileage may vary.

:shock: Yeah, my mileage varies greatly. You are obviously entitled to your opinion, and I respect that, but to me PITB epitomizes the crux of what the Dead is all about, a vehicle for musical exploration. And that's just my opinion.

But, that's also the beauty of this band...there's something for everyone, and that's what I'm seeing with this thread. One person may skip Playin' to get to Corrina and another will skip El Paso to get to Dark Star...and each person will think the other is fuckin nuts.

There are/were so many one dimensional bands out there....thankfully the Dead were not one of them :smile:
NSP
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby Mr.Burns » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:39 am

Maybe this thread should be called "I missed the point" or "Tunes that went right over my head". I don't think any of us knows better than the band what order tunes should have been played in. The band were experts in designing effective and functional setlists and no one could have done what they did for thirty years without repeating themselves. Sometimes I skip a random song just to get to the one after it. Doesn't mean I can't stand it. If there truly are tunes that you can't tolerate maybe this music really isn't for you.
Mr.Burns
Phil
Phil

Postby strumminsix » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:45 am

foolofships wrote:I must be the weird one, because I like the stuff nobody else digs. Easy Answers (RatDog does it better, but it's a cool tune), Way to Go Home, Victim, Day Job. Except Wave to the Wind. That one can die in a fire.

I dig those too! Add in Eternity and Lazy River Road and Samba in the Rain!
strumminsix

Postby TI4-1009 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:17 am

RiseandFall wrote:

I was always ecstatic when they started playing Playing in the Band because I knew things would surely move out of music mode into transportation mode.
I like(d) transportation mode. A whole lot!

+1

Mickey Hart said, "we're not in the entertainment business, we're in the transportation business - we move minds".
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby jester536 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:05 pm

I can understand almost all of them...wouldn't say "I Can't Stand"...any of them...but Playin' in the Band...really? That one threw me for a loop!
If the thunder don't getcha then the lightning will!
http://www.reverbnation.com/unchartedwaters
jester536
Bear
Bear

PreviousNext

Return to Everything Else