Turning a Bedroom into a Music Room

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

Re: Turning a Bedroom into a Music Room

Postby Laytonco » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:04 pm

Hey all,
I deal with a small space for my office/studio that also has a low ceiling, but we've mitigated that pretty simply and cheaply. When i had the space built out, I did get a dedicated circuit which is great for working against hum and I have dimmer all over the dang place!

Things we did:
1) Tapestrys and artwork everywhere - we even covered the utility doors with these curtain panels we got for about $5 at Goodwill.
2) Painted 3 coats of latex paint on the walls. This really helped. After 3 years, i can still make a dent in the paint with my fingernail.
3) Lamps! Lamps are warm and cozy feeling - good ambiance - I have overhead lights but dim them just for affect.
4) I keep the "stuff" around the walls to make as much floor space as possible. makes the room feel bigger.

Here are a couple of pics - we call it the Mullet room since its an office/studio:

Business in the front:

Party in the back:

Peace,

Gil
Laytonco

Postby easytoslip » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:14 am

power strips, some seating and tables, can get some decent throw rugs Oriental style at Ocean State Job Lot, a fan
easytoslip
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby Smolder » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:50 am

Know that you can't sound proof it. Egg crates and wall foam will absorb some highs, but will do more to help the inner acoustics. Bass traps in the corners are a good idea. Make it a fun place that you wanna be. Alway amazes me when people get treadmills and put them in the basement... who wants to be down there? They're usually cold, dark, and damp.
Smolder

Postby easytoslip » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:42 pm

Smolder wrote: in the basement... who wants to be down there? They're usually cold, dark, and damp.

agreed. here the only time the basement is good is on a hot summer day. it's so chilly and humid in CT, makes for terrible basement hanging IMO
easytoslip
Rosemary
Rosemary

Previous

Return to Everything Else