Red Rocks 1985

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

Red Rocks 1985

Postby tcsned » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:34 am

I was a ripe young 19 and just getting on the bus. 3 friends from high school and I drove a Dodge Omni from Virginia to Colorado for this awesome run of shows. I took a bunch of pics and I just found this one. If I can find the rest I'll scan and post them. Trouble ahead, Jerry in red!
tcsned

Re: Red Rocks 1985

Postby hippieguy1954 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:44 am

Awesome photo! I was there for the first show of that '85 run. Used to fly out there every year just for it. Was always well worth it.
Did you use a tripod? That's really good if you were holding the camera.
First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby tcsned » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:43 am

hippieguy1954 wrote:Awesome photo! I was there for the first show of that '85 run. Used to fly out there every year just for it. Was always well worth it.
Did you use a tripod? That's really good if you were holding the camera.

Thanks! It was hand held, it was a pretty nice Canon SLR my dad got when he was in Vietnam. I have 20-30 more and a couple shots of Phil and Jerry that came out pretty well. I'm surprised that anything that anything came out in the state I was in trying to work that camera :)
tcsned

Postby hippieguy1954 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:36 pm

Very cool! Ya had a great camera and got lucky/skills considering the peripherals involved. 8)
First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby tcsned » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:31 pm

hippieguy1954 wrote:Very cool! Ya had a great camera and got lucky/skills considering the peripherals involved. 8)

At 19, I'm saying mostly lucky. My dad showed me a few things about photography and I had done some B&W developing in high school. I'd love to find the negatives, that print had been sitting out since 1985 and has some smudges and dirt on it. Looks like Jerry spilled wine or kool aid on his pants :-)

I'm thinking I took those pics on the first day . . . partying just got crazier on each successive day. Those were some great shows.
tcsned

Postby WildEye » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:41 pm

I'm guessing he just dropped the foil (it leaves quite a stain). It's always awesome to see picts like this. I hope you find the other negatives, I (as well as others) would love to see them. Thanks tcsned!!! :cool:
WildEye
Mickey
Mickey

Postby jeffm725 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:54 am

no one but a logger stirs his coffee with his thumb..... :smile:

Great pics!

I was there too. 18 years old, first red rocks shows for me.
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Postby tcsned » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:30 am

jeffm725 wrote:no one but a logger stirs his coffee with his thumb..... :smile:

Great pics!

I was there too. 18 years old, first red rocks shows for me.

My first Rocks show too, and my last. Made it to Telluride a couple of years later.
tcsned

Postby Maybeck09 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:36 am

I was there as well. Lived in Boulder that summer and scored tickets to all three days. Like you said each day got progressively wilder for me. A pharmaceutical weekend thats for sure. My first Red Rocks. (did make it again in '87, had tix for '86 but Jerry collapsed in DC and they cancelled). 2pm shows- were just awesome- although sometimes hard to rally for the next day. But I did and am so glad. The Saturday show (9-07-85) is still the very best concert I have ever been to and a change your life kinda day. That Space> Mr. Fantasy>Hey Jude Reprise>Mr. Fantasy just made the place go nuts. I loved it. Thanks so much for the great shot-nice and close. Hope you can put some more up!
Maybeck09
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby Smolder » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:10 am

Cool shot for sure.

While my initiation was via several spring/summer/fall '77 shows in the midwest, I followed that with making the drive to red rocks (and McNichols) for many years. After a few years off I made my way out again in '87... and spent a tragic night in Chief Hosa. The overdose of a camper (I did not know him) convinced me to go home rather than continue to follow the trail for what turned out to be an epic show in Telluride.

Those early trips are how I discovered Morrison, Evergreen, Kittredge, and other surrounding mountain towns west of Denver. I live here now. I wanted my son to have the colorado rockies out-of-doors experience growing up.
Smolder

Postby strumminsix » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:08 am

great photo!!
strumminsix

Postby gmchart » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:26 am

Hey Smolder, any chance you know a local band called Faux Pas? Headed up by a husband and wife team named Denis and Ann Johnson. Denny is a scary good guitar player. Our brother Tom has been playin' keys with them for a while.
gmchart
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby tcsned » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:44 am

Still no luck finding the rest of the pics. I did find a reel of slides my grandfather too in 1939 - pretty cool but no good Jerry pics in there :-)

I need to pull some crap out of storage this weekend hopefully I'll find them there . . . darn pre-digital age, if it were now they'd be sitting on my FB page :lol:
tcsned

Postby Smolder » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:31 pm

gmchart wrote:Hey Smolder, any chance you know a local band called Faux Pas? Headed up by a husband and wife team named Denis and Ann Johnson. Denny is a scary good guitar player. Our brother Tom has been playin' keys with them for a while.

Have not, but will keep an eye out for them. We stay mostly in Evergreen and surrounding biker bars... the real market, especially for anything remotely progressive, is Denver. And of course the 'like the radio' cover bands do well out at the resorts in summit county.
Smolder

Postby tcsned » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:55 pm

Smolder wrote:Cool shot for sure.

While my initiation was via several spring/summer/fall '77 shows in the midwest, I followed that with making the drive to red rocks (and McNichols) for many years. After a few years off I made my way out again in '87... and spent a tragic night in Chief Hosa. The overdose of a camper (I did not know him) convinced me to go home rather than continue to follow the trail for what turned out to be an epic show in Telluride.

Those early trips are how I discovered Morrison, Evergreen, Kittredge, and other surrounding mountain towns west of Denver. I live here now. I wanted my son to have the colorado rockies out-of-doors experience growing up.

Those are cool towns, I had a friend back in Virginia who had just moved from Kittredge who became one of my greatest friends and one helluva songwriter hooked me and my three high school buddies up with the lyricist he wrote with. He gave us a place to stay in Kittredge and was our local tour guide. I still speak regularly with all three of them. When I got to the shows I run into a handful of people from college (I was a freshman at Virginia Tech). One of them became a bandnate for 27 years and counting. Several others I am still close to, one we lost tragically a few months later in a motorcycle accident (the last show I went to with him). Now, I'm on a web formum hearing stories from folks I'm just getting to know. Cool!

Memories,
Light the corners of my mind . . . :-)
tcsned

Next

Return to Everything Else