Wake up call

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

Wake up call

Postby PaulJay » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:41 pm

Hey Guys, Just came back from a week stay in the Hospital. had some stents put in. I realize you only live once. And not only should i take better care of my health, But I should stop procrastinating and order my SMS. Just wondering if any of you other guys have gone through this medical procedure and have any advice to share even from a guitar players view point. Grateful I didn't follow in Jerry's footstep's. Thanks Paul
PaulJay
Billy
Billy

Re: Wake up call

Postby tcsned » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:52 pm

OMG! Glad you're on the mend.
tcsned

Postby FretfulDave » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:49 pm

Been there, numerous times. I figure life is only what you make it while you have it and I play like hell when I play with my buds.

Just have to settle in and understand what is happening to your body, come to the grip that you yourself can understand, act on it and keep playing! Joy may be the best medicine.

Music = Joy

Best of luck.

Peace

Dave
The river keeps a talkin'
FretfulDave
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby Chuckles » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:17 am

While not heart-related, I spent most of last summer going through radiation and chemo for cancer, so have a little experience coming back from a major medical experience. All I can say is, take it slow. I rushed back and have played a couple of gigs since, and I'm still not near 100%. First gig back - back in January - I made it through the gig (with a very good friend sitting in as a fall-back should I have faltered), but less than five minutes after the last tune was face-down asleep at a table only to be awoken when my wife poked me and said all the guys had loaded my stuff out into the car and she was ready to drive me home. Humbling, to say the least, and also lent a keen appreciation to the level of kinship I feel for my bandmates. I've put everything on hold till late summer/fall. It's just not worth jeopardizing your health for the music. First things first, and the rest will follow. Mark Karan and his wife Maile have been invaluable assets in getting me through this experience (he is also an oral cancer survivor), and I cannot stress enough how necessary it is to take care of your body first, and let the music follow. You'll come back, but don't push it. We'd all rather you play longer for many years than rush to the stage sooner and sacrifice any aspect of your recovery. As said above, you know your own body best, so listen to it and follow accordingly. Just don't push it beyond what you may be able to reasonably take on...

Best wishes on your recovery!
Seems like I've been here before...

The Road's Facebook Page (including links to tunage) is here:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Road/ ... 200?ref=nf
Chuckles

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:12 am

Speedy recovery Paul

:-)
Tennessee Jedi

Postby NWPines » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:58 am

Glad you're out of the hospital, and hope your recovery progresses well. Just over 6 years ago, my Dad had massive heart failure and his chances for survival were very slim. The doctors wanted to do a multiple bypass, but didn't think my Dad would survive it. They put in 11 stents instead, which is fairly unheard of, all very close to the heart, and hoped for the best. He is alive and well today, and at 79 years old regularly walks over a mile a few times a week. Do what the doctors recommend, get as much exercise as you're able to, don't smoke, and hopefully you'll be 100% soon and back at it!
NWPines
Brent
Brent

Postby PaulJay » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:48 am

Guys, Thanks so much for your advice and good wishes. Chuck, i hope you'll be back to 100% asap. I know you'll be there soon. ,Paul
PaulJay
Billy
Billy

Postby barefootdave » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:40 pm

Yup, had a stroke in 2011. And they discovered a brain aneurysm which required a stent to be placed in my brain. Had to learn to walk again, among other things. I have since purchased an Alembic Tribute and a Moriarty Wolf. Don't waste time, you might have less than you think. Enjoy your SMS and tell your people you love them.

Do what you can to be healthy; for me that meant a lot of changes that were difficult but I am very happy about now.

Live every day like its your last... It might just be.
Barefoot Dave
"His job is too shed light, not to master"
barefootdave
Billy
Billy

Postby PaulJay » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:08 pm

Dave, Thanks for your advice and I am glad your doing well. Enjoy those great guitars too. ,Paul
PaulJay
Billy
Billy

Return to Everything Else