What happened to "Jazz is dead"??

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

What happened to "Jazz is dead"??

Postby d-v-s » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:41 am

Someone gave me a copy of Jazz is Dead's album "Laughing Water" the other day. It was the first time that I'd heard the band, and I was blown away - much better than what I expected. I tried to look around for more info on the band, but it looks like they broke up.

Anybody got any info on the band? Do they still tour?

Anybody heard their other album(s)?
d-v-s
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby tigerstrat » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:38 am

To me, the most important member of JiD when they emerged in 1997 had been Billy Cobham. His performances were like a Niagara Falls of percussion and infectious joy. When they came around again in 2001 or 2002, they had a new drummer and Jeff Pevar on guitar instead of Herring who had obviously moved on to PLF and The Other Ones (as I refuse to stop calling them), and it just didn't fly the same as the first line-up- I was especially unimpressed by the sleepy version of Sugar Magnolia.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby LazyLightnin » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:18 pm

i was actually told to stay away from that album some time ago. ive never heard it, but not that its been brought up i wanna hear it.
LazyLightnin

Postby mttourpro » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:27 pm

FYI, they still play. Just saw them this past May and they were touring. Basically, it's a long-term side project. Herring is always in the band. The drummer for the past tour was Jeff Sipe. I can't seem top remember who was on bass and keys though. T. Lavitz used to be there. As for someone telling you to "stay away", I have no idea why you would want to do that. They are strictly instrumental and I highly reccomend getting a live show or 2 to listen to. They did the entire Blues for Allah album and a bunch of other stuff last tour.Definitely worth listening to. If you like them, you'd prolly also want to check out Joe Gallant and Illuminatti----another ensemble that re-orchestrates and reworks lots of great GD.
mttourpro

Postby FretfulDave » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:54 pm

I saw them within the past year. Getting old, can't keep track of time any more. They are quite an experience being instrumental and all. T. Lavitz and Jeff Pevar on guitar, to my memory.

In the show I saw, they interpreted "Blues for Allah". They played a bunch of other interpreted Dead songs first and then launched into the intrepretation of the entire album, in order.

Fantastic! I had heard some boots back in the late 90's w/ Billy Cobham and probably Jimmy Herring and was impressed but never saw them until ... well recently. Maybe last November?

Anyway, good stuff and an enjoyable change of format.

Dave
The river keeps a talkin'
FretfulDave
Rosemary
Rosemary

Return to Everything Else