T Rex effects

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

T Rex effects

Postby tcsned » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:36 pm

I don't know if there's anyone else out there that has used any of their stuff but I got a Dr Swamp overdrive a few years ago and haven't found another one I liked as much . . . until the Earth Drive. I use them both onstage now. The ED for a slight overdrive and the Dr Swamp for moderate and heavier drive. Not really a MXR/Jerry OD but I love it.

I just picked up a Replica delay and that thing is cool, tons of features, tap tempo control, and a cool subdivision mode that sets the delay for triplets against the 1/4 note that you tap out.

Has anyone out there tried out the Spin Doctor? They're kinda pricey but looks pretty darn cool, if the tones are as good as the other stuff I've seen from them. It's got 4 programmable channels with motorized knobs to recall settings so you can set tone, output, gains all independently. It's also got a speaker sim out so it could conceivably be used as a backup rig. Anyway, if anyone's tried one out I'd appreciate a review :-)
tcsned

Re: T Rex effects

Postby TRG » Fri May 30, 2014 5:11 am

I didn't want to take the other thread off-topic (re: new keyboard player in band) with the T-Rex talk, but figure I'd chat here about it. I currently use an Earth Drive almost constantly on at a low gain to give me just a hint of growl and have been using the MXR Distortion + for higher gain when necessary, but just am looking for something a bit different in the high gain category.

I switched out my MXR Distortion+ for a Boss OD-3 which sounds a bit better to me on my rig for the workable sound that I'm looking for in high gain and am always thinking about trying other dist pedals (I know that OD-3 is really just an overdrive pedal). I did like the sound that you got out of that T Rex swamp pedal...those things are pricey though, huh!

Before I make the leap to purchase one, do you happen to have any other clips (that are handy) with that pedal being used that you could share? I wish it was only one channel vs. the two, as that's really all I'm looking for. Also, it doesn't appear that the pedal is true bypass, so do you happen to notice any impact with that (i.e. you can only have one of the dist channels in the pedal on at once, so I would assume the other side of the pedal is not bypassed)?
TRG
Mickey
Mickey

Postby tcsned » Fri May 30, 2014 5:51 am

TRG -
here's one is mostly a test of the Blaster v. Waldo buffer but at 3:29 I use the Dr. Swamp in both the low gain and hi-gain settings. Not sure about the true bypass but the pedal is either one, the other, or neither. Not both at the same time. I also use a Whirlwind Gold Dist which is kind of an old MXR copy. Everything has a label in the video so you can tell what's what.

If you need more, let me know I can dig out some more stuff. I have to run to a faculty meeting but will be back in an hour or two.

tcsned

Postby TRG » Fri May 30, 2014 10:52 am

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for sharing! :cool:
TRG
Mickey
Mickey

Postby tcsned » Fri May 30, 2014 10:59 am

That Dr Swamp is really sweet, they make a bunch different OD/Dist toys, I messed with a few and that was my favorite. I also picked up a Spin Doctor which uses 2 12AX7s and is an incredible pedal. I'm letting our rhythm guitarist use it for now as it allows for some really nice low gain-tubey sounding overdrive. It's got 4 channels and motorized knobs and such - it's kinda pricey but really cool. I want to try out their octave pedal.
tcsned

Postby TRG » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:37 pm

What about the T-Rex Tone Bug Distortion...have you tried that one? It's a single pedal distortion, so wondering if that might be the Dr.Swamp pedal cut in half? :)

EDIT: After further research it appears that it's a different circuit.
TRG
Mickey
Mickey

Postby tcsned » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:26 pm

I tried a few of the T-Rex distortion and overdrives - I liked them all that were in the price range of the Dr Swamp but those smaller ones didn't seem to have the same transparency as the nicer ones. You get what you pay for. It doesn't look like they make the T-Rex anymore but they still seem very available. The Alberta or the Moller look like they are similar. The thing that really set the T-Rex apart from the others I tried out was the transparent - it still sounded like my guitar and not just the sound of a stomp box.
tcsned

Postby James-T » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:23 pm

Nice playin and really nice guitar and tone. :smile:

Peace,

James
James-T
Phil
Phil

Postby TRG » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:55 am

tcsned wrote:I tried a few of the T-Rex distortion and overdrives - I liked them all that were in the price range of the Dr Swamp but those smaller ones didn't seem to have the same transparency as the nicer ones. You get what you pay for. It doesn't look like they make the T-Rex anymore but they still seem very available. The Alberta or the Moller look like they are similar. The thing that really set the T-Rex apart from the others I tried out was the transparent - it still sounded like my guitar and not just the sound of a stomp box.

Ok, just purchased one online. Thanks for all the info!
TRG
Mickey
Mickey

Postby tcsned » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:49 am

TRG wrote:Ok, just purchased one online. Thanks for all the info!

Sweet!! Let me know what you think.
tcsned

Postby Bobbybriand » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:20 am

tcsned wrote:TRG -
here's one is mostly a test of the Blaster v. Waldo buffer but at 3:29 I use the Dr. Swamp in both the low gain and hi-gain settings. Not sure about the true bypass but the pedal is either one, the other, or neither. Not both at the same time. I also use a Whirlwind Gold Dist which is kind of an old MXR copy. Everything has a label in the video so you can tell what's what.

If you need more, let me know I can dig out some more stuff. I have to run to a faculty meeting but will be back in an hour or two.

Not a true test of buffers,drives and distortion. First of all you can hear the neck pup hollowness and thats where your playin because it's the only pup in your guitar that jerry used. A single coil too boot. To most of all our trained ears here at RUK. Whe need a comparison with a split middle Dimarzio super2 dp104 bucker in the middle neck coil active. The cleanest glass like crystal tone like Jer started to stand out with in early eighties. He had achieved that extra sparkle in the headroom.
Not to be rude but a middle super2 split middle pos. then record the differences if your ears can. All those scribbling myolydian scales with different gains and distortions is no way to compare an onboard buffer. Yes your distortions will have more grit cause of cleanliness from your source tone. I 'd love to hear a split super2 middle pos. go through all the buffers in your test and see if the clearness changes. Wouldn't test with distortion either. If you have a qtron envelope filter test your clearness with a pedal jer actually used. I comence u on this video must have took alot of work.
Waldo's buffer wins hands down. If the tiger tone is what you like then put exact parts No.1split super2 middle position, No.2 ab763 or similar fender twin 64=67preamp,<No.3 clean amp that don't mess with tone, TPC-1(waldo),then swap out only TPC-1 for a blaster and so on. The stratoblaster from either alembic(rip off) or general guitar gadgets. I'm sure youll notice extra grit in the stratoblaster category.
All these buffers and blasters etc. Have you seen waldo's pic with the Tiger cover plate off. It all has to with the big orange 250v cap. Waldo did build a mini but even on his mini that yellow cap on there is still 5x size of all other buffer caps.
I'm sure waldo can explain the proper name like filter cap etc. 250v orange cap,
We are all jerryists and our ears are like dog whistles for garcia tone. If any of us heard thee tone we would turn of heads so fast I'd have a knot in my neck. Your tone sounds like a jazz guitarist no offence because of picking up high by the neck pup.
It's also hard to compare buffers when your using distortion. It's easier to compare with the tone we toured with. fender split dimarz middle<tpc-1<fender pre<clean amplification<jbl 120 d ,e ,or f series. Use a qtron for your fx example. It should be clear as hell with no harness to the quacks.
Then we could do a real buffer comparison.
Bobbybriand
Donna
Donna

Postby Bobbybriand » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:30 am

Still to this day I think the Boss Hm-2 is the closest distortion you can get to Jerry's. It has a low flavour(bass/mid low and a high flavour knob for upper mids and treble. You can dial into any Jerry overdrivin and distortions. Dial in the miracle wriffs,Samson,Deal,etc. I have a boss ds-1 modded three ways , and a tube screamer vintage. Give it a try boys with replica/modded guitars. Best 40bucks you'll ever spend.
Bobbybriand
Donna
Donna

Postby tcsned » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:03 am

Bobbybriand wrote:Still to this day I think the Boss Hm-2 is the closest distortion you can get to Jerry's. It has a low flavour(bass/mid low and a high flavour knob for upper mids and treble. You can dial into any Jerry overdrivin and distortions. Dial in the miracle wriffs,Samson,Deal,etc. I have a boss ds-1 modded three ways , and a tube screamer vintage. Give it a try boys with replica/modded guitars. Best 40bucks you'll ever spend.

I'd agree that it's not the most Jerry sounding distortion on the planet but it's by far the best one I've ever played through. I've gone through an HM2, MXR D+, the old orange Boss DS1, Boss MT2, Boss FZ2, a Big Muff, Whirlwind Gold Box, and a couple of others over the years. I've never found one that really suited my playing for stage use until the T-Rex and my Earth Drive. I'm happy with those. But I'm not necessarily looking for an exact Jerry tone. Just one close enough to suit those purposes and fitting in with the tone I have in my head that I want to get out. Jerry could get that thing to scream but I always struggled with how much everything started to sound like the effect box and less like the guitar but every player is different. The only other thing I'm considering is a second Earth Drive because it's higher gain sounds really kick ass too. One advantage we have that Jerry didn't was the amount of cool boutique pedals out there.

Hey Brad, you should make a 2 in 1 Earth Drive :cool: :cool:

Oh, and I was using the DiMarzio Super II in the middle position with the coil tapped.
tcsned

Postby tcsned » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:44 am

You are correct that I was playing up over the rhythm pickup. I usually play standing up and didn't notice where my hand was. If I do another video I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.
tcsned

Postby Bobbybriand » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:49 am

Shit you got me beat by a hair in all overdrive pedals youve been through. LOL I do have an EH big muff too. Your playin is awesome fast as hell. Was I right were u using mixolydian when u started scribbling I only could see upside, Yeah what I was sayin in the middle pup slot with a split bucker and an HM-2 you can nail any jerry lead when he rocked it out. I have four settings on the level.distortion,and low n high flavour marked in nail polish 4colors. One for Samson,Deal,Miracle and Morning Dew. Other songs will fit into one those four categories. I am however gonna check out the earthdrive at sarno.
Bobbybriand
Donna
Donna

Next

Return to Everything Else