Fantasy Football - Look here!

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

Fantasy Football - Look here!

Postby jck_strw » Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:50 pm

A new forum? A new topic?

Anyhow, I'm looking into starting an RUKIND fantasy football league. Yahoo seems to be good enough for my interests (free, easy to setup, etc.). I just wanted to gauge the interest. I believe there's a max of 12 teams in a league--would we have that many?

Also, the only option I'm not sure about is the draft. There are three options, but only two appeal to me:

Live Online Draft
My league will participate in a live online draft that may last for several hours. Managers can choose to Autopick if unavailable at the time of the live draft. Your selected draft time can be changed after registration is complete.

Autopick Draft
My league's teams will be drafted based Yahoo! default rankings or a manager's pre-ranking of players. Once draft status is set to Ready, the results will be posted by the following day.

For those interested, which do you prefer? Live draft sounds interesting, but could be time consuming. But if you stock up on beer beforehand (or set it to Autopick), it could go by fairly painlessly.

There's also a couple of different types of leagues, but Head-to-Head seems to me to be the most fun. If others prefer a Points league or whatever, let me know.

So, thoughts?
http://db.etree.org/jck_strw - Tapelist
-----
"Now get back to the stands before I shave off half your mustache and shove it up your left nostril. "
Bad News Bears
jck_strw

Postby phpbb » Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:22 am

I like the online draft, but it does take time, and, unless everyone properly chooses to tell the computer to pick for them if they cannot make it, it can take a while. I guess I'd opt for an after 8:00 PM MST Sunday night draft, but I don't mind getting assigned a team.

I like head to head too, but, I've always disliked certain things about it: the head to head is no fun if you don't get 8-10 teams, I also think the season is too short, and, the playoffs get lame when your top scorers get benched at the end of the season. I like head to head at work because it lets you tease or get teased face to face.

Points is fun because you don't have to worry about it, you get to play the whole season, and if someone drops out mid-season, it only affects them.

In the end, I'd play either, but I think I'd vote for a Sunday night draft, points league.
phpbb

Postby shakedown_04092 » Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:55 am

I agree w/ Gregg on that one too. A points league w/ a Sunday night draft sounds good.

My only problem is I won't be able to do it until at least next Sunday....when were you thinking of having the draft?

I've always liked to have it a week before the season starts, that way you can't get screwed w/ pre-season injuries & what-not.

Let me know, Jim. Count me in.

shakedown_04092@yahoo.com

~ben
Play music, expand the mind, inspire...

"We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey" - Japanese poet Kenji Miyazawa

www.myspace.com/heavydime

shakedown_04092

Postby jck_strw » Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:08 pm

Ok, votes for the online draft and a points league. That's cool with me.

I would start the fantasy season probably as close to the real season as possible to limit the possibility of injuries like shake brought up.

I'll post some more details as it gets closer.

If anyone else is interested, please let me know.
-----
"Now get back to the stands before I shave off half your mustache and shove it up your left nostril. "
Bad News Bears
jck_strw

Postby LazyLightnin » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:17 pm

where do i sign?
LazyLightnin

Postby wisedyes » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:45 am

I'd be game, although I don't really know much about the working details of fantasy football. So I guess I have no opinion on how the draft is handled. But count me in.

We should all think of some sort of "prize" for the league winner. Any thoughts?
Out of the loop? I didn't know there was a loop!
wisedyes
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby wisedyes » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:46 am

I happen to make really, really nice tie dyes ( if I do say so myself, but seriously, I do ) and would be happy to donate some.
Out of the loop? I didn't know there was a loop!
wisedyes
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby st stephen » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:01 am

i am in!!

Winner gets a tie dye or a everyone from 3rd place down has to give the winner a good soundboard show.
st stephen
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby ded1hed » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:26 am

yea id play
ded1hed
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby jck_strw » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:28 am

Cool, Dead-related prizes would be kinda cool. I like it.

I'll throw in some bootleg DVDs for a prize. I have the still-unreleased Sunshine Daydream movie (8-27-72) and 10-31-80 that I can offer as a prize of some sort. That's 6 DVDs of some quality Dead video!
-----
Bad News Bears
jck_strw

Postby steve » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:18 pm

sound like fun. i've never played fantasy football though. what are the time requirements?
steve
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby jck_strw » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:32 pm

steve wrote:sound like fun. i've never played fantasy football though. what are the time requirements?

Time requirements are entirely up to you. Once the league actually starts, you just need to pick your players for that you want to play for the week. You usually don't have too huge a roster, so you only need to choose a couple of players. I'm envisioning this as a fantasy football lite. I know guys that spend waaaaaaay too much time on this. I set it up as fun diversion, something to help pass the boring hours at work. But it's entirely up to the individual.

I would tend to think hat this is a good league for first timers though. Free and, possibly, free from the over-the-top fantasy footballers who live and die by this thing.
-----
Bad News Bears
jck_strw

Postby jck_strw » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:34 pm

Sorry, maybe you were looking for more concrete numbers. I would say you can do it, on a weekly basis, with no more than 10 minutes invested (if that). But again, you could spend hours poring over stats, etc. trying to decide whether or not to start Edgerrin James or Larry Johnson (not that I expect anyone will have that luxury :)
-----
Bad News Bears
jck_strw

Postby hesgone95 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:06 pm

i don't really follow football, more of a soccer fan. do you have to know much about football to participate? like who are good players at the moment?

it's sounds like fun though.
Goin' home, goin' home
By the waterside I will rest my bones
Listen to the river sing sweet songs
To rock my soul
hesgone95
Bobby
Bobby

Return to Everything Else