TRI Move me Brightly

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

Re: TRI Move me Brightly

Postby seamones » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:11 am

There is a history of that type of nonsense, I suggest ignoring it.
seamones
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby Phil Lesh101 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:11 pm

If you ask me I think Phish and Mike suck. There cheesy music and dress wearing drummer is weird. Someone said earlier that if they closed their eyes they couldn't tell if it was Phil or Mike playing...Well I am sorry you have that problem. IMO Mike is not similar to Phil in any way, yes Phish was formally a Dead tribute or whatever but Mike Gordon doesn't hold the pick like Phil and he doesn't play like Phil in any way. Mike plays very choppy with the pick and he is more of a "Slap" kind of guy (Not Phil like at all) also not to mention the effects and pedals he uses (Also not like Phil at all)

I am not saying that he is a bad bass player, in fact I think he is a great player but his band sucks, you people give him to much credit for being "Like Phil" and if Jerry didn't die Phish would have no following.
"I didn't ask them to misspell anything to prove their authenticity, but I believe they're legit." ~ Rusty The Scoob.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV9EGVZio2M
https://archive.org/details/DA2013-10-19
Phil Lesh101

Postby Mr.Burns » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:32 pm

Phil Lesh101 wrote:If you ask me I think Phish and Mike suck. There cheesy music and dress wearing drummer is weird. Someone said earlier that if they closed their eyes they couldn't tell if it was Phil or Mike playing...Well I am sorry you have that problem. IMO Mike is not similar to Phil in any way, yes Phish was formally a Dead tribute or whatever but Mike Gordon doesn't hold the pick like Phil and he doesn't play like Phil in any way. Mike plays very choppy with the pick and he is more of a "Slap" kind of guy (Not Phil like at all) also not to mention the effects and pedals he uses (Also not like Phil at all) I am not saying that he is a bad bass player, in fact I think he is a great player but his band sucks, you people give him to much credit for being "Like Phil" and if Jerry didn't die Phish would have no following.

He's kind of doing a "pop" as opposed to a "slap", but it looks more like a jabbing motion. Awkward. Otherwise, I agree with you completely.

I didn't watch Move Me Brightly because Gordon was there. I hope that was his last appearance on TRI. Phish sux.
Mr.Burns
Phil
Phil

Postby TI4-1009 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:36 pm

I'm sorry I mentioned it at all, you're correct seamones.

Did you guys listen to the TRI broadcast??? I guess Bob and Phil are real dopes for inviting this guy, someday they'll know as much about Grateful Dead music as some people areound here.... :lol:
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby The Stag » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:25 pm

Phil Lesh101 wrote:If you ask me I think Phish and Mike suck. There cheesy music and dress wearing drummer is weird. Someone said earlier that if they closed their eyes they couldn't tell if it was Phil or Mike playing...Well I am sorry you have that problem. IMO Mike is not similar to Phil in any way, yes Phish was formally a Dead tribute or whatever but Mike Gordon doesn't hold the pick like Phil and he doesn't play like Phil in any way. Mike plays very choppy with the pick and he is more of a "Slap" kind of guy (Not Phil like at all) also not to mention the effects and pedals he uses (Also not like Phil at all)

I am not saying that he is a bad bass player, in fact I think he is a great player but his band sucks, you people give him to much credit for being "Like Phil" and if Jerry didn't die Phish would have no following.

post of the year! haha i totally agree especially with the end if Garcia never passed away these idiots would have no following exept their parents lol mmmkay
Dan Jr
The Stag
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby Octal » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:42 pm

So with every Phish song you turn on you're celebrating Jerry's death?

Octal
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby The Stag » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:23 pm

no because I never turn on a phish song.... cant you read? haha mmmkay
Dan Jr
The Stag
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby Octal » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:42 pm

The Stag wrote:no because I never turn on a phish song.... cant you read? haha mmmkay

Properly revised:
With every Phish song one enjoys is one celebrating Jerry's death?

Octal
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby jeffm725 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:02 am

.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Postby The Stag » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:45 am

My point is if Jerry Garcia never passed away all these people who go to phish concerts would be following the Grateful Dead and phish would still be cellar dwellers mmmkay
Dan Jr
The Stag
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:33 am

There are at least 3 guys on this thread who REALLY need to clean the cotton out of their ears.
Rusty the Scoob

Postby jeffm725 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:54 am

The Stag wrote:My point is if Jerry Garcia never passed away all these people who go to phish concerts would be following the Grateful Dead and phish would still be cellar dwellers mmmkay

Oh boy, I am going to not heed my own advice and feed the troll here.

Your above statement is simply WRONG. What do you know? How old were you when Jerry died? You cannot be more than 21 years old which would make you 4 when Jerry passed. In 1994 and 1995 during summer tours, I personally witnessed many people jumping off Dead tour in the middle to go to Phish shows. Phish was already on upward trajectory and drawing VERY well before the Dead stopped touring. I'm not going to defend Phish here, this is a Grateful Dead board. However, I will take to task patently false statements. Did the end of GD give a bump to Phish attendance? Certainly. But it wasn't overnight from bar band to headlining MSG, they were heading there anyway.
I'm going to be patient with you , because you obviously like The Grateful Dead. The thing is that the people that you worship like Phil, and DSO and whoever else would be the first people to tell you how ignorant you are being by being so tunnel visioned. Did you know that what is (debatable)regarded as the best P+F shows ever were with Trey and Page of Phish as members? That lineup with Kimock and Molo , captured the ACTUAL GD spirit more than any lineup,even the highly regarded Quintet. It's fine to not like Phish, it is fine to have your own musical preferences, but if you are going to limit yourself to just such a narrow focus and hate on everything else you are doing yourself a disservice, especially if you are an aspiring musician. Because we weren't even talking Phish here! We were talking how well Mike Gordon covered the bass end on "move me brightly" . I don't like all kinds of music, but I respect anyone who puts themselves out there even if it is not my musical taste. You don't respect anything.

You and your alter ego are making statements based on nothing but childish hating, because if you don't know/hear the influence Phil has had on Mike Gordon, you are simply either deaf, or not familiar enough with Mike Gordon's work to even open your mouth about it. He doesn't clone Phil, He is Mike, he has many different styles and his OWN voice and bag of tricks. He slaps sometimes, he is a bit more melodic at times. However, He has done a LOT of work on internalizing Phil's style. He started playing with a Pick years after Phish was already a band because of Phil. When he WANTS to, or NEEDS to he can do a pretty convincing Phil. He just doesn't need to all the time, why would he? At "move me brightly" he treated that material with reverence and I cannot think of a better bass player other than Phil who could have pulled it off as successfully.

If you ever get a chance to meet your hero Phil Lesh someday ask him HIS opinion on Mike Gordon.

The Stag/Phil Lesh101 troll act is getting tiring........... mmmmmkay.
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Postby TI4-1009 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:24 am

+1
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby hippieguy1954 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:14 am

TI4-1009 wrote:

+1

+1
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby willmusic » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:13 pm

Kids sure do say some silly shit sometimes. Lil scamps..
willmusic
wolf
wolf

PreviousNext

Return to Everything Else