You guys would appreciate this

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

You guys would appreciate this

Postby Emoto » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:14 am

So, one of my other hobbies is riding motorcycles. My daily rider is a BMW and I have joined some of the BMW clubs that are out there. One of them, Yankee Beemers, has monthly "breakfast meetings" in different locations each time, pre-arranged where we basically take over a place and have coffee and a nice breakfast together. Figure 50-100 people, depending. I always go when one is near me, as was the case this morning, when breakfast was here: http://www.thefairviewinn.com/index.html

We had almost 80 club members, and unless you know a lot of people, you just pick a table and sit down and everyone introduces themselves. All very friendly. So, I end up at a table for 4, people I never met before, and we get to talking. One of the guys says how when he was 19 or 20, he would just jump on the bike and think nothing of going almost any distance for a weekend for any reason. He cited a concert that he went to down south somewhere. One of the other guys said he took his daughter to that final Soldiers Field show because he wanted her to have a real Grateful Dead experience before Jerry was gone. More talk and it turned out that one of the guys was also at the 9/3/77 Englishtown show, which for me was maybe the best I ever saw! He looked at me and deadpanned: "I thought you looked familiar." :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was stunned, though. Think about all of the things that had to happen just exactly perfectly for us to end up sitting together and getting to that in the conversation. I mean, we were all probably in our 50s and not groomed or dressed like heads, so, it wasn't like a tie dye shirt started the conversation. Anyway, to me it was one of those minor amazing things that happen sometimes.
Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there...
Emoto

Re: You guys would appreciate this

Postby tcsned » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:25 am

Awesome story! Englishtown was one of my best friend's first show. Beat me by 5 years :)
tcsned

Re: You guys would appreciate this

Postby vwjodyme » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:26 pm

funny how that works sometimes :lol:

I've run into guys before that are dressed like heads (long hair or dreads, older clothes and maybe a dead shirt) and turned out they weren't really "into" them, just liked the look i guess
vwjodyme

Return to Everything Else