Christmas in July!

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

Re: Christmas in July!

Postby mgbills » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:52 pm

Sorry. Redundant post. Already covered this earlier in the thread.

Memory. I could be a great guitar player if I could only remember all I've forgotten.
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Postby tcsned » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:02 pm

Thanks guys!

dleonard - that Dr Swamp is a really nice overdrive pedal. The Mac gives it even more clarity and definition that the Boogie power amp . . . also less forgiving for the fast runs, but that's a good thing.

Jedi - the Mac seems to have made a big difference but some of that may be new gear placebo effect. The MOSVALVE is pretty cool too - I'll keep you posted on that

mgbills - I'm using Duncan Stag-Mag pickups and in the HB mode for all of this. I didn't like the way the coil tapped tone worked with the Mutron and then got lazy and stopped flipping back and forth. I've always been kind of a Les Paul guy by nature and love the HB tone. I've also had a mental block about DiMarzios since I pulled them out of my Les Paul 25 years ago. They were a bad match for that guitar. I'll get one for another guitar I am going to drag out of mothballs and start using some.
tcsned

Postby mijknahs » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:26 pm

tcsned,

I'm glad you finally got your McIntosh amp and that you're enjoying it. It really is a big improvement over the other power amps.

An Earth Drive is next on my list.
mijknahs

Postby tcsned » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:27 pm

mijknahs wrote:tcsned,

I'm glad you finally got your McIntosh amp and that you're enjoying it. It really is a big improvement over the other power amps.

An Earth Drive is next on my list.

Yeah, I was a skeptic and it's taken me a long time to give up tubes but I'm sold on the Mac. You'll love the Earth Drive I'd love to have 2 of them :)

I've got a cocobolo and quilted maple carved top Tele that was my first project guitar. It's got an all rosewood neck on it now but I think I'm gonna get a maple/ebony neck for it and add a Dimarzio in the middle position and the buffer/OBEL it'll probably get a bit closer to Jerry tone. Also, that cab is a porter closed back cab with a lot of baffling inside. I've already cut the back out of it's twin that might take another month or two to get fixed up.
tcsned

Postby mijknahs » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:46 pm

Yeah, a cocobolo/maple body with a maple neck and ebony fretboard will nail the 80's Jerry tone.

Open back cabinets definitely have a bigger tone. I just picked up a nice 2x12 cabinet loaded with K120s about the same dims as a Jerry cab but it was closed back. I removed the back and it sounds so much better now.

Jim
mijknahs

Postby tcsned » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:43 pm

Yeah, I like the closed back sound, especially for high gain settings but I'm gonna get the other Bag End cab that I cut the back out of fixed up soon. It'd be cool to use both cabs but I'm not gonna be playing a stadium show any time soon :cool:

All I need to do is find more time to practice . . .
tcsned

Postby NSP » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:17 am

Yep, I've had a similar summer Christmas tcsned....

Got my Earth Drive last month and now sitting next to me on my desk at work (just arrived this morning) is a MC-250. Grabbed the one that was in garage sale recently.

So Jim, it looks like the Carvin Tube100 I got from ya a while back will be taking on back-up duty now.....but, nice to have choices.

Oh yeah, also put in a deposit with AO to build me a Wolf. But that just got me on the list, won't be in hand until spring. Good thing my wife is also a musician, she can kind of understand our desire for "the sound".

Enjoy
NSP
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby mijknahs » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:23 am

Wow. Sounds like you're on a roll! The MC250 should sound great if it's in good working condition.

NSP wrote:Yep, I've had a similar summer Christmas tcsned....

Got my Earth Drive last month and now sitting next to me on my desk at work (just arrived this morning) is a MC-250. Grabbed the one that was in garage sale recently.

So Jim, it looks like the Carvin Tube100 I got from ya a while back will be taking on back-up duty now.....but, nice to have choices.

Oh yeah, also put in a deposit with AO to build me a Wolf. But that just got me on the list, won't be in hand until spring. Good thing my wife is also a musician, she can kind of understand our desire for "the sound".

Enjoy
mijknahs

Postby NSP » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:01 pm

mijknahs wrote:Wow. Sounds like you're on a roll! The MC250 should sound great if it's in good working condition.

Yep, she's sweet. Just fired it up for the first time, and yeah, there's something special in those macs.

NSP
Rosemary
Rosemary

Previous

Return to Everything Else