Mac + talkbox question

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

Mac + talkbox question

Postby tcsned » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:51 pm

Hey all!
I just scored an MC2100 super cheap. I have a question about hooking up my talkbox. I've been wanting to run the talkbox through a separate channel since its an 8ohm speaker and my cab is 4ohm. Since the Autoformer seems to encourage matching ohms between the output and the speaker it raises an issue due to the impedence difference between the talk box and the speaker cabinet. It would also like to mess with combining the talkbox with the speaker signal. Here's my options as I see it:

Run the cabinet through channel A and the talk box through B - will having a signal going into a turned up channel plugged into a speaker that's switched off. I know this would be death to a tube amp but I know that solid state amps can handle being turned up and a signal running through it but not sure abou a cable plugged in going essentially nowhere. I'd use the on/off button on the talkbox to turn it on and off.

I could run the preamp out into an A/B switch and split that off to the different channels in the Mac. I would then leave the talkbox on all the time and it would only make sound when the channel was selected. Solves the unmatched impedance issue but makes combining sounds a little clunkier.

Run it the old fashioned way, either use only half of the Mac or bridge it. This would have a 4 ohm and 8 ohm speaker run into the same line though only one would ever be hot at a time. No combining signals.

I'm pretty sure I'm in safe territory with the A/B switch but the other two may be problematic. Any advice out there? Thanks!
tcsned

Re: Mac + talkbox question

Postby JonnyBoy » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:44 pm

I am pretty sure you can hook up the talk box to the amp and switch it on and off as you please. I assume that the off position of the pedal is like nothing is hooked up to the screw terminal anyway, basically wires hooked up to nothing=nothing screwed in anyway, as if its not there. The mac will be just fine.
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Re: Mac + talkbox question

Postby tcsned » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:43 am

JonnyBoy wrote:I am pretty sure you can hook up the talk box to the amp and switch it on and off as you please. I assume that the off position of the pedal is like nothing is hooked up to the screw terminal anyway, basically wires hooked up to nothing=nothing screwed in anyway, as if its not there. The mac will be just fine.

Thanks Jon!
tcsned

Return to Everything Else