RIP Doc Watson

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

RIP Doc Watson

Postby Grateful Dad » Tue May 29, 2012 8:25 pm

Doc Watson died today :cry:

He was just in Glenside, PA at the Keswick Theatre last June and I saw him at the Philly Folk Festival a few years ago. Very inspirational artist, I am glad I had the chance to see him perform.

RIP Doc
Grateful Dad
Phil
Phil

Re: RIP Doc Watson

Postby amyjared » Tue May 29, 2012 8:37 pm

Bummer! Doc was the real deal. He was funny, humble, and talented as they come. I saw him many times, and also have a couple of instructional vid's he did through the Homespun series. Highly recommended. He will be missed...
"The only funeral you should ever try to interrupt is your own, and that should be a full-time job." -Kinky Friedman
amyjared

Postby tcsned » Wed May 30, 2012 10:54 am

amyjared wrote:Bummer! Doc was the real deal. He was funny, humble, and talented as they come. I saw him many times, and also have a couple of instructional vid's he did through the Homespun series. Highly recommended. He will be missed...

+1 on that. He was a huge influence on me and a lot of folks a lot better than me. I saw him a bunch and got to meet him a few times. He brought that Peidmont Country-Blues style to a larger audience and was one helluva picker.
tcsned

Doc Watson FlatPickin' Tribute

Postby Pete B. » Thu May 31, 2012 10:54 am

Thanks for the inspiration, Doc!
When I saw you play Black Mountain Rag at age 16, that changed my life forever.
Two tracks (rhythm/lead) on a Taylor 710. Stuff I like to play in the Doc style.
(...seems like I used to be able to play it faster when I was 16).
http://picosong.com/w425/
Pete B.

Postby PaulJay » Thu May 31, 2012 1:29 pm

Pete, That sounded great. Doc was my favorite Flatpicker then comes Norman. Glad the music will be around for years to come. Thanks ,Paul
PaulJay
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby wolftigerrosebud » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:32 pm

anyone who has a membership on lossless legs (shnflac) should go over there and check out the doc bootlegs.... there must have been 30 different great doc watson recordings up.

RIP doc, wish i could've seen him perform. great guitarist, he was the first steel string guitarist whose music i loved.
wolftigerrosebud
Rosemary
Rosemary

Return to Everything Else