Using another tribute bands name or tagline?

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

Re: Using another tribute bands name or tagline?

Postby hogan » Fri May 18, 2012 8:04 am

tigerstrat wrote:
Now that we are on the subject, I was recently considering changing from Cats Under The Stars to a more unique band name/phrase, and finally a REALLY great struck me out of the blue: "Very Garcia Band". Of course I immediately googled it and to my eternal disappointment found that it had been claimed only about 3 months before! ...which still might not have deterred me, except that it's the side band of one Dino English, and I'm not really interested in pissing off DSO fans. 3 months!

That's funny. I had been putting a Garcia band type thing together about 4 months back. I had the people on board and we were working on a name. I had had "Very Garcia Band" in the back my mind for probably a year. Days before I was going to lay the name on the band I read D. English(vorty) post on the Philzone announcing his band. Derp! Two lefties and drummer think alike! What's that tell you? We ultimately decided on Garcia Preservation Society.
Honest to the point of recklessness.
PM me for a cab
http://www.facebook.com/workingmansdead
Happy customers (~);-} :
paulinnc, spaceyrface43, AKdead, chuckles, ebelgee, Quebee, Kennay, bomall01, NashvilleMike, Strumminsix,jx2638,Chutley, Adam Deckard, jkstraw, TennesseeJedi, deadhead1988, spacefunkologist, rmackenzie
hogan

Postby Pete B. » Fri May 18, 2012 9:20 am

That woulda been a good one, TS!
Another local Oregon group is called "Bigfoot County".
Great name (Oregon is big on Sasquatch-ee stuff).
At least two bands use it nationally.
Go figer.
How about... "The Very Jerry Band"
My primary Trio is called "Muchas Garcias".
I Googled it, and we're not even using it as far as I can tell. :lol:
Pete B.

Postby tapestry » Fri May 18, 2012 9:20 pm

I just want to say how nice and cool everyone is on here and how sweet it is to be able to discuss things and have input and conversation about stuff like this. I am very impressed with the quality of people I have meet here! :)
tapestry
Bobby
Bobby

Postby Poor Peter » Sat May 19, 2012 9:09 am

tapestry wrote:I just want to say how nice and cool everyone is on here and how sweet it is to be able to discuss things and have input and conversation about stuff like this. I am very impressed with the quality of people I have meet here! :)

Of course, we're all "heads" :-) The world would be a much better place if there were more of us.
Poor Peter
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby JonnyBoy » Sat May 19, 2012 2:26 pm

Well it could be worse, our band is stuck with the name it has because we have built up almost 2 years of our interest thorough it. We will be assuming Mississippi Half Step eventually, and since we are in Mississippi, it fits nicely... It may not happen, but the line up has evolved with new players for the better, and we have considered changing the name to something that draws the dead heads that haven't heard of us. Plus the guy who thought of the name is no longer in the group and was a self proclaimed "leader" that insisted on the name.

If you are in entirely different markets that shouldn't matter anyway IMO, Tribute bands don't really follow the same rules as original bands in terms of intellectual property, unless its enforced by the "original band", which may or may not happen with Garcia and the Dead. Tough argument here... Its hard to really know who can do what or not.
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby Phil Lesh101 » Sun May 20, 2012 6:46 pm

I thought the band is called "The Schwag Dead Ahead" not just "Dead Ahead"
"I didn't ask them to misspell anything to prove their authenticity, but I believe they're legit." ~ Rusty The Scoob.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV9EGVZio2M
https://archive.org/details/DA2013-10-19
Phil Lesh101

Postby misngfingr » Fri May 25, 2012 10:37 am

My, as yet to be tribute band, shall be called "Sons of the Missing Finger"... Posting here just to have proof of Date and time....no band as of yet tho... for now I'll have to be satisfied with my duties as "sit in" guy for the Oregon Bands "Garcia Birthday Band" & "Ramblin Rose"... I ride the Bench for both outfits and they call me up from the minors once or twice every couple months... it's fun :)...Here's a snippet of GBB from last weekends UFO Festival in McMinnville... we were IN the parade.. really cool and fun! my first ever "Rolling Gig"!https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=3635564900002&set=vb.1600602244&type=2&theater
misngfingr
tiger
tiger

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Fri May 25, 2012 10:49 am

misngfingr wrote:My, as yet to be tribute band, shall be called "Sons of the Missing Finger"... Posting here just to have proof of Date and time....no band as of yet tho... for now I'll have to be satisfied with my duties as "sit in" guy for the Oregon Bands "Garcia Birthday Band" & "Ramblin Rose"... I ride the Bench for both outfits and they call me up from the minors once or twice every couple months... it's fun :)...Here's a snippet of GBB from last weekends UFO Festival in McMinnville... we were IN the parade.. really cool and fun! my first ever "Rolling Gig"!https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=3635564900002&set=vb.1600602244&type=2&theater

I like your Minor League comparison ..... Most of my playing has been done the same way .... My buds have gotten to sit in with some of the better bands in the area .... I wanna get my chops up so I can do a fill-in sometime ...
8)
Tennessee Jedi

Postby tigerstrat » Fri May 25, 2012 1:22 pm

misngfingr wrote:My, as yet to be tribute band, shall be called "Sons of the Missing Finger"... Posting here just to have proof of Date and time....no band as of yet tho... for now I'll have to be satisfied with my duties as "sit in" guy for the Oregon Bands "Garcia Birthday Band" & "Ramblin Rose"... I ride the Bench for both outfits and they call me up from the minors once or twice every couple months... it's fun :)...Here's a snippet of GBB from last weekends UFO Festival in McMinnville... we were IN the parade.. really cool and fun! my first ever "Rolling Gig"!https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=3635564900002&set=vb.1600602244&type=2&theater

As I live and breathe...Peter! So glad you could make it to the party!

Guys, don't let him fool you, he's a major-leaguer all the way. Leading the league in saves AND runs batted in!
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby Dwarf Rat » Sat May 26, 2012 12:51 pm

Nine Fingers
Dwarf Rat
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby tigerstrat » Sat May 26, 2012 4:16 pm

Frodo Garcia
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby Billbbill » Mon May 28, 2012 5:23 am

Pete B. wrote:My primary Trio is called "Muchas Garcias".
I Googled it, and we're not even using it as far as I can tell. :lol:

Thanks Pete! Had a real good chuckle!

===================================

More often than not these things shake out in reasonable fashion - or don't and have negligable inpact. Unless you're one of those 2 NY 1/2 step bands! Then machetes' are fair game - That one had some fireworks!
Billbbill

Previous

Return to Everything Else