Using another tribute bands name or tagline?

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

Using another tribute bands name or tagline?

Postby tapestry » Thu May 17, 2012 11:53 am

Hey everyone, I have seen some copying of band names, tag lines and general marketing duplication (i.e. Tiger Rose now using "our" tagline "Recreating The Jerry Garcia Band Experience....Cats Under The Stars BAND NAME in VERMONT and OREGON). What do you all think of this?

I looked long and far to find names for all of my bands that didn't copy another similar bands name or tagline. I think folks should try to come up with their own name, etc. I think there are like 2 or 3 "dead ahead" or "shakedown" bands isn't there? Wasn't there some discussion on the board a while ago about someone wanting to use a name that another band had already? Thoughts?
tapestry
Bobby
Bobby

Re: Using another tribute bands name or tagline?

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Thu May 17, 2012 12:26 pm

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... z1oJ6W9K00
8)
I am lucky they decided to go another route
Tennessee Jedi

Postby tcsned » Thu May 17, 2012 12:53 pm

My theory is, if they're not in a competitive region and you're not trying to "make it" then let it slide. It's not that big of a deal. We've got a name that's been used by several others over the years but I've only encountered a couple of people going to see another band with the same name thinking it was us and no one thinking we were someone else. But, we didn't put much effort into the name so other than as an identifier I'm not particularly tied to it. I can see getting bent about it if you put more effort into coming up with it or if someone is encroaching on your space.
tcsned

Postby tapestry » Thu May 17, 2012 1:35 pm

Yes i see your point.

Another Band is HALFSTEP from NYC and UPSTATE NY's Half Step.
tapestry
Bobby
Bobby

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Thu May 17, 2012 1:57 pm

Thats a tough one .... in the same state like that .... legit concern for getting fans confused ....
:D
Why are you asking ?
Having a prob with a name you would like to use ?
Tennessee Jedi

Postby Pete B. » Thu May 17, 2012 2:06 pm

I guess if you pay Jerrys estate, or Hunter, or the GD, to licence a song lyric or album name, in full or partial form, for your band name, then you might have a gripe.

I'm not sure if this is off the mark or not...
"Taking someone elses creativity and passing it off as your own" is pretty close to the basic premise of a Tribute band, no?
The audience claps for you. The club owner pays you.
We're all guilty of blatent plagersim.
Why care now???
Again, I'm not sure if this thinking is correct. What would a lawyer say, I wonder.
Pete B.

Postby strumminsix » Thu May 17, 2012 3:01 pm

Assholes are assholes and will always be assholes and will steal your words and works and claim it as theirs as yours is better than what they are able.

Sucks, but move one and ignore them. It's a waste of your efforts!!
strumminsix

Postby zott » Thu May 17, 2012 3:28 pm

No problem I will change the tag line for Tiger Rose. Didn't realize you had it.
zott
Grateful Chef
Grateful Chef

Postby tcsned » Thu May 17, 2012 3:38 pm

Ha! I was gonna say, we ain't the most aware group of individuals out there. :D Even if someone had seen your band name and tag line before don't assume they are ripping you off counsciously.

Hey I just came up with some great lyrics for a new song I'm writing,

" Dark star crashes, pouring its light into . . . " :oops:

It happens
tcsned

Postby tapestry » Thu May 17, 2012 3:39 pm

ZOTT!!!! very kind of you brother, its not a huge deal, but prompted me to start this conversation! thanks so much!
tapestry
Bobby
Bobby

Postby tapestry » Thu May 17, 2012 3:43 pm

Tennessee Jedi wrote:Thats a tough one .... in the same state like that .... legit concern for getting fans confused ....
:D
Why are you asking ?
Having a prob with a name you would like to use ?

I was just seeing this more and more. And believe me I know about using images of JERRY or THE GRATEFUL DEAD as we are all tribute bands, its just that with the internet, you can search very easily to see what others are doing and do something unique or different to set yourself apart.
tapestry
Bobby
Bobby

Postby Octal » Thu May 17, 2012 7:32 pm

You can't bring up this topic without someone mentioning "The Warlocks."
Octal
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby eric » Thu May 17, 2012 8:39 pm

While we're on the subject , I daydream many a rejected band names that I won't even bore you with .. but there a a few really cool names ( already taken) ... like So Many Rhodes ( RI) , I thought that was ingenious. And to add my 2 .. As long as they aren't in competing regions , and haven't launched any press like FB, I think it's not the worst thing out there. But with google, it's pretty easy to check its status.. But for one group to say THEY coined something like Shakedown , it's kinda weak.
eric
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby paulinnc » Thu May 17, 2012 10:19 pm

Octal wrote:You can't bring up this topic without someone mentioning "The Warlocks."

I would be more concerned with upsetting the outlaw MC who are also named The Warlocks.
paulinnc

Postby tigerstrat » Fri May 18, 2012 7:39 am

You can strive for a totally unique band name but it may come at the cost of obscurity and difficulty getting the attention of your target audience.

Now that we are on the subject, I was recently considering changing from Cats Under The Stars to a more unique band name/phrase, and finally a REALLY great struck me out of the blue: "Very Garcia Band". Of course I immediately googled it and to my eternal disappointment found that it had been claimed only about 3 months before! ...which still might not have deterred me, except that it's the side band of one Dino English, and I'm not really interested in pissing off DSO fans. 3 months!
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Next

Return to Everything Else