"Opening" a closed-back cabinet

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

"Opening" a closed-back cabinet

Postby tcsned » Mon May 14, 2012 4:13 pm

I just scored two old Bag End closed back 2x12 cabs (with the speaker clips). They were way too cheap to pass up. I'm gonna try to cut the back out of one of them. Has anyone done this before? Anything other than the obvious (keeping the input jack safe and structurally sound) I should look out for?

Next, to find some speakers. I've been thinking about Beyma Libertys but was wondering if there was anyone using them and if they or E-120s were overpowered for bar gigs. I'm currently running either my 100w Boogie or the 80w Mosvalve to power my SMS. I'm thinking that trying to push a 300w speaker might be a little anemic tone-wise. Any thoughts? Anyone have a good low wattage option you're using?
tcsned

Re: "Opening" a closed-back cabinet

Postby hippieguy1954 » Mon May 14, 2012 5:34 pm

I know an 80watt twin sure sounds great with either the Liberty 8's or the E120's for Jerry land! That's for sure!
I can't say anything about other alternative speakers, though. :smile: :smile: :smile:
First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby tcsned » Mon May 14, 2012 9:15 pm

Anyone using the Eminence Commonwealth 12?
tcsned

Postby Chuckles » Mon May 14, 2012 10:27 pm

I found a closed back birch 1x12 w/K120 on CL a year or so ago (for like $125!) and cut out the back. No probs.

I've also have a HT w/2xE120s and I've found that if you push the power amp no matter what it's rating - I push 300w through my MosValve - and keep the volume controlled on the fx loop, you can get a strong tone. Not thin at all.

I gotta get down to your area to check you guys out...
Seems like I've been here before...

The Road's Facebook Page (including links to tunage) is here:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Road/ ... 200?ref=nf
Chuckles

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Tue May 15, 2012 12:21 am

I opened the back of a cheap 2x12" cab that was originally meant for car audio subwoofers for Keir and it was his rig for over a year with a pair of Beymas in it. Worked great! It was so easy that I don't even remember how I did it... circular saw, probably.
Rusty the Scoob

Postby tcsned » Tue May 15, 2012 5:27 am

Chuck - are you playing this weekend? I'm gonna be in DC working on my dad's house this weekend.

Here they are:

I should have them this weekend. I was thinking these Bag End cabs were built with the speakers pretty independent from each other - that might present some issues. I'm thinking of leaving the other alone and seeing how that one sounds closed (though they are ported in the back). I might sell the second one . . .
tcsned

Postby strumminsix » Tue May 15, 2012 7:52 am

Are you asking if a closed back cab can be cut open to make it open back? If so yes. But it aint always pretty.
strumminsix

Postby tcsned » Tue May 15, 2012 8:05 am

If I'm doing the work, pretty ain't gonna be the result . . . Functional yes, pretty no. :lol:

I just didn't want to set off on uncharted seas with no compass, and regret it later. :shock:
tcsned

Postby Chuckles » Tue May 15, 2012 11:27 pm

Those look really cool and, um, experienced. :smile:

Take one and cut about 40% of the back out of it, then more if you want it more open and less tightly bass-focused. I did mine in one cut and may have gone a bit too far when I compare it to my HT, but it's all copacetic. The more open 1x12 has a much more piercing tone, though that may be to the single-speaker issue as much as the amount of open back. Would be interested to hear folks' thoughts on that.

Wish we were playing this w/end, though we may be getting together on Sunday afternoon to jam/rehearse if you're interested in coming into DC to play a bit. we don't bite. (Well, actually, people have told us we bite, but they have mostly been folks not into our kind of music :lol: ).
Seems like I've been here before...

The Road's Facebook Page (including links to tunage) is here:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Road/ ... 200?ref=nf
Chuckles

Postby tcsned » Wed May 16, 2012 7:44 am

Yeah, mint they are not :-) When they arrive I'm gonna give them a good sanding and let my wife have at them with a paintbrush. Though for 2 Baltic birch 2x12 cabs for $200 I can't complain. She was looking for another "Guit-art" project and these will be perfect.

If you guys are jamming this weekend let me know. It would be cool to meet a fellow rukinder and a distraction from clearing out my dad's old house would be a good thing. Are you guys in the city? I'll be out in Dale City (about 20 miles from DC down I-95 . . . so only about a 5 hour drive :lol: )
tcsned

Postby KWRummie » Wed May 16, 2012 8:02 am

I used a circular saw to get clean straight cuts. The curve of the blade won't allow you to reach the corners, so I used a handsaw for the last little bit.
KWRummie
Donna
Donna

Postby tcsned » Wed May 23, 2012 7:06 pm

They arrived and I'm getting ready to cut the back out of one of them. I'll leave the other alone. It's got about an inch thick of baffling inside. Should I remove all of it?
tcsned

Postby KCJones » Thu May 24, 2012 7:53 am

You might consider just making a new back. I converted a vintage Bandmaster cab (pictured on bottom). I used the birch plywood. I took the demensions of the opening from a 2x12 Tone Tubby cab. Also converted both cabs to speakon connectors. And for your speaker reccommendation.... Tone Tubby, argualbly by far the best all around musically balanced speaker.

KCJones
Billy
Billy

Location: Kansas City, MO via Buffalo NY, San Diego CA, San Jose CA and Wash DC

Return to Everything Else