Collecting Traditional Music From Around The World

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

Collecting Traditional Music From Around The World

Postby studentmanik » Sat May 05, 2012 11:40 pm

I've had a deep, growing interest in traditional music for the past couple months. I have already begun to build my collection of traditional tunes from around the world. The following is a list of the different countries in which I have collected folk/trad. music from and one musician/group that (I believe, unless you prove me otherwise!) represents the particular regions sound:
-Ireland: The Chieftains
-Japan: Ensemble Nipponia
-India: Shakti
-Middle-East: Saudi Massi
-Spain: Paco De Lucia
-Brazil: João Gilberto
I'm wondering if anyone can share with me some of their favorite traditional music from their own or other countries that I can add to my collection. It would be greatly appreciated!

(Thank you for reading and I am going to build a online store soon )

Mobile Coolrooms
mobile coolroom hire
studentmanik
welcome
welcome

Re: Collecting Traditional Music From Around The World

Postby wolftigerrosebud » Sun May 06, 2012 7:08 am

Far out, this looks really cool and I'm going to have to check out these musicians and groups you've listed here.

A couple recommendations: King Sunny Ade for Nigerian music, Mulatu Astatke for Ethiopian jazz, Ladysmith Black Mambazo for South African Zulu music. First two aren't as traditional, but they're still awesome. Last one is totally traditional and awesome.

Have you heard that Ry Cooder album Buena Vista Social Club? It's pretty popular, but it's a great example of Cuban folk melodies and Cuban music generally.

I'm excited to see others' recommendations, I'm always looking for good music from other places in the world.
wolftigerrosebud
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby eric » Sun May 06, 2012 7:51 am

I only like to listen to international music in a mobile cool room ... It's just too damn hot in Sudan..
eric
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby Charlie » Sun May 06, 2012 3:40 pm

If you're looking for some more traditional Irish music I would strongly recommend The Bothy Band and Planxty.
Charlie
Brent
Brent

Postby Charlie » Sun May 06, 2012 11:13 pm

There is a genre of Australian music known as Bush bands. The music is sort of a meld of traditional Irish folk music and traditional American country music. The bands often use home made instruments such as the lagerphone, a percussion instrument made from lots of beer bottle tops nailed to a stick, and the tea chest bass. The songs tend to laud the Australian outback tradition, are often politically leftist and concerned with the problems of farm labourers and the man on the land. A lot of the bands are highly influenced by 19th century Australian poets such as Henry Lawson and Banjo Patterson.

The most well known and probably most representative band of this genre is "The Bushwackers Band". In particular I would recommend an album of theirs called "Faces in the Street" which is mostly based on the works of Australian Poet and Author Henry Lawson.

Bush bands probably reached the height of their popularity in the Seventies but there are still plenty around with many local communities still holding a monthly "Bush Dance".
Charlie
Brent
Brent

Return to Everything Else