Weir on CNBC

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

Weir on CNBC

Postby vwjodyme » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:51 am

Not sure if you guys caught this yesterday.

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000083675&play=1
vwjodyme

Re: Weir on CNBC

Postby mkaufman » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:57 am

My take is that they need wider distribution (ie: revenue) to fund TRI. They also need more performances.

Bob is not the best spokesman...

mk
THE best way to score gear: http://www.auctionstud.com

For discounts on extended Dell warranties: http://advantech-ny.com/mik/advantech/DellComputerWarranty
mkaufman

Postby vwjodyme » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:00 am

mkaufman wrote:Bob is not the best spokesman...

mk

:lol: i kept thinking they were going to cut him off
vwjodyme

Postby mkaufman » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:32 am

OMG

Serious cringe factor.

mk

For discounts on extended Dell warranties: http://advantech-ny.com/mik/advantech/DellComputerWarranty
mkaufman

Postby ebick » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:12 am

vwjodyme wrote:Not sure if you guys caught this yesterday.

yes, once again Bob must take a back seat when being compared to his lifelong partner and his "well-spoken"-ness.

He was certainly clear and spoke intelligent and well-thought out thoughts, it was just like pulling teeth to get them to come out of his mouth......You'd think that he'd done the "why are you doing it"/"why'd you do it" schtick some many times now that it would just flow out.......but apparently not without a guitar in his hands.
Ed

First Show - 5/5/77
Last Show - 3/28/93
ebick

Postby hippieguy1954 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:45 am

ebick wrote:
vwjodyme wrote:Not sure if you guys caught this yesterday.

yes, once again Bob must take a back seat when being compared to his lifelong partner and his "well-spoken"-ness.

He was certainly clear and spoke intelligent and well-thought out thoughts, it was just like pulling teeth to get them to come out of his mouth......You'd think that he'd done the "why are you doing it"/"why'd you do it" schtick some many times now that it would just flow out.......but apparently not without a guitar in his hands.

Very well put, ebick! You crack me up :lol: Oh Bobby! Gotta love him, though! :smile: :smile: :smile:
First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby playingdead » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:37 am

Steve Liesman's an old friend of mine. I asked him about it last night (he knows Weir fairly well) and he said that Bobby was as sharp as a tack in the green room right before the interview but when the lights and cameras went on, he thinks he just got nervous. TV cameras can do funny things to people, even rock stars who have been filmed before. I sat in on Steve's interview with him a couple years ago and Bobby was totally relaxed. It may have felt different to him this time because the last interview was basically shooting the s--- with Steve in broad generalities, and this was more specific and news-based. I can tell you from experience as a journalist that if you get a little hung up on one question, it doesn't tend to get any better moving forward.
playingdead

Postby ebick » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:42 am

playingdead wrote:Steve Liesman's an old friend of mine. I asked him about it last night (he knows Weir fairly well) and he said that Bobby was as sharp as a tack in the green room right before the interview but when the lights and cameras went on, he thinks he just got nervous. TV cameras can do funny things to people, even rock stars who have been filmed before. I sat in on Steve's interview with him a couple years ago and Bobby was totally relaxed. It may have felt different to him this time because the last interview was basically shooting the s--- with Steve in broad generalities, and this was more specific and news-based. I can tell you from experience as a journalist that if you get a little hung up on one question, it doesn't tend to get any better moving forward.

yeah, that makes sense.....one might think that the comment one guy made about wanting to be the next Furthur drummer, and the other guy saying he was a fan (whether they were sincere or not) might have been attempts to put him at ease. I've heard Bob speak......better.....much better, although still never as fluidly as Jer. I wanted to say that it almost seemed like he was.......on drugs. lol.
Ed

First Show - 5/5/77
Last Show - 3/28/93
ebick

Postby jester536 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:34 am

Right now I find myself writing a speech I have to give for ...this thing...and I agonize over it...it's hard to look relaxed in a public speaking situation...and I'm a teacher for God's sake!!! I do it all the time...and I perform in a band...but there is something different about the podium and the large crowd...and I'm sure it's a hell of a lot different when someone is saying "lights, camera, action!" I wished it were smoother...but I ain't gonna give him a hard time about it. Nothing like delivering that line about a space ship and nobody even chuckles...that'll throw you off your game right from the get-go.
If the thunder don't getcha then the lightning will!
http://www.reverbnation.com/unchartedwaters
jester536
Bear
Bear

Postby jeffm725 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:29 am

jester536 wrote:Right now I find myself writing a speech I have to give for ...this thing...and I agonize over it...it's hard to look relaxed in a public speaking situation...and I'm a teacher for God's sake!!! I do it all the time...and I perform in a band...but there is something different about the podium and the large crowd...and I'm sure it's a hell of a lot different when someone is saying "lights, camera, action!" I wished it were smoother...but I ain't gonna give him a hard time about it. Nothing like delivering that line about a space ship and nobody even chuckles...that'll throw you off your game right from the get-go.

Its his delivery that is off putting for people that don't know him or are not used to hearing him speak. The Flying Saucer line was a good line, but if you are hearing him for the first time you are totally confused by his delivery and don't know what is a joke and not. That is not unique to just his on camera manner.
I met him a couple times, and those times he talked exactly like he talked on TV. I got on an elevator one time in the mid 80's on tour at a hotel and he was already on it, there were other people on the elevator, including business travelers, he was wearing a leather jacket and sunglasses and I didnt notice him at first. Halfway through the ride, my buddy elbows me and goes "Hey, its Weir" and we turn and said "Hey Bob, great show last night, almost didnt recognize you here. " Well in his deadpan Weir voice that only he has, he said, "cool, but I didnt recognize you guys either." :lol: Between the "umms", the false starts, stammers and stutters, it took about 45 seconds for that single line to be said.

Some have said that he was mercilessly dosed repeatedly by road crew during the late 60's even when he had personally decided to stop dosing. (I am not down with dosing people who dont want to be dosed, that was, and is, a very dangerous game). They attribute some of his verbal delivery to those repeated dosings. None of us knew him before his GD involvement so who is to say.
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Postby Octal » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:57 pm

I wonder what's going through his head during all of those pockets of silence...

"Wait this might be a dangling participle...alright, the subject has been sufficiently established, now what's the objective form of the infinitive? Verb conjugation for the present perfect tense..." etc.

Who knows...
Octal
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby mkaufman » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:42 pm

According to McNally's book, it's due to a bout of spiral meningitis as a kid and mind altering substances which he quit because of their efffects on him.

mk

mkaufman

Postby vwjodyme » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:26 am

So he speaks like that all the time or just when he gets nervous? I thought that i've heard him speak more fluidly in other interviews.
vwjodyme

Postby eric » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:54 am

I feel like he always sounds like that ...even if you go back to the GD movie where hes got a few short interviews, hes excatly the same...I have a cousin who speaks somewhat like Bob, he's a very smart individual and there's nothing "wrong" with his brain , he just has a difficult time articulating his words. Look how fluid Bob is when he sings.. I remember a while back there was some sort of TV special (NOVA on PBS?) that showed people with speech related issues who used song to communicate , as it allowed them to be completely fluid as well..
eric
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby PaulJay » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:42 am

Wonder what music does to your brain after playing it for 50 years. Bob probably plays more than he speaks.
PaulJay
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Next

Return to Everything Else