A new love for the OBEL

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

A new love for the OBEL

Postby tcsned » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:55 am

I've had an OBEL, Waldo buffer in my guitar since late fall. Back in the winter I was rehearsing for Godspell and some jackass who shall remain nameless stepped on the TRS cable going into the HubBub and effed it up (he surprisingly looked exactly like me). I didn't have another cable and just never got around to getting a new one. I've heard a lot of talk on this board about who much the OBEL helped their tone when using stomp boxes. I never really noticed any difference before. I've been playing for more than 30 years and at least think that I've got decent ears for that sort of thing. The OBEL to me was a ingenious device for convenience not tone. It's great to not have to do the stomp box tap dance before going to the mic to sing. I liked being able to turn the effects on and off from the guitar. But tonal difference . . . no.

I finally got a new TRS cable and used it again last night at a gig. I did notice the Mu 3 sounding smoother and better as well as better controll over the distortion and the phase shifter from my Lexicon. It may have been one of those perfect storm things that the amp, guitar, and effects were in alignment and sounded better than usual but I did just start using the OBEL again. My question is, is there something scientific to this? Or is it just metaphysical?
tcsned

Re: A new love for the OBEL

Postby waldo041 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:55 pm

tcsned wrote: My question is, is there something scientific to this? Or is it just metaphysical?

scientific, and has to do with the voltage sensitivity of each pedal. the guitars volume control is a voltage device. if you were able to consistently maintain it's position the entire night and the next time you play it, you would have the same results as the OBEL. but since you cannot, that volume alters the voltage to the effects and produces different results each time you touch the volume control, on purpose or inadvertently. with the OBEL, you produce a consistent volume each and every time. this allows you to get consistent results from your effects and that is what you are hearing. your fight with a consistent result from your rig should essentially be over, and aside from an occasional adjustment here and there, it should become set and forget.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Re: A new love for the OBEL

Postby tcsned » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:01 pm

Thanks Waldo, that makes perfect sense. It's good to hear a rational explanation. :hail:
tcsned

Return to Everything Else