Poll: how many deadheads?

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

Are there more deadheads alive today than at any other point?

Yes
41%
No
29%
uhhh?
29%

Total votes : 17

Poll: how many deadheads?

Postby mraugustwest » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:53 pm

so a general question for everyone: are there more deadheads alive today than any other time?

it is kinda crazy to see a band and music transcend so many generations and get to a point that in 2012, there are still kids turning 15y/o and loving the dead. so are there more of us now than ever? less? any opinions? just something i have been daydreaming about and thought to put it out here...
mraugustwest
Wall of Sound
Wall of Sound

Re: Poll: how many deadheads?

Postby JonnyBoy » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:38 pm

Dead heads and people that like the music are not the same thing, but going by what I think you mean, no I think the numbers are dwindling. There was a time when there were more people outside the stadium than inside. Even a 5 night stretch in a city would sell out in hours. I don't think they can do that today. but I agree that this band is unique in its appeal to every generation that comes forward since the 60's.
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby mgbills » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:12 pm

I did my part. Raised 2 boys (now 23 & 26). They went through phases. Younger son is strickly a folky. Plays acoustic & sees Furthur/DSO/Iterations (s) whenever they're in town. Older son goes to the shows with us, but has a pitiful & hurtful tendency toward bad '80's Butt-Rock. Eeeek.

In the 20 years I've known my sons, many of their friends joined us on road trips to see the many GD facets. Some were hippity-hop kids, some were into techno, etc. More often than not when I see them, they thank me for the wierdo caravan trips, and reflect positively on our experiences together. Incidently I took most of that 20 years off the substance extravaganza I enjoyed from '81-'89. Beer...the occasional whisky. Kids were a good influence.

So we all had a good time. I'm not sure I added any heads that'll still be doing this in 30 years, but ...who knows.

+2 (+)

Peace
M
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Postby mgbills » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:15 pm

But what about the "Poser" factor?

Always were posers. Still lots of posers. How do they get counted.

Not too fond of posers & the new low levels of Lot Rats that hang about. Of course...60's & 70's Heads probably thought that about me when I got on in '81.

Must be getting old. :cool:

Yea.
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Postby Octal » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:08 pm

In regards to how many: how many of the first generation are no longer alive?

I would have to say there are more now, simply because many of the previous generations are still alive (even with Deadhead healthcare).
Octal
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby mraugustwest » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:02 pm

granted it isn't going to be the same, ever. period.

granted there are always posers at every step of the way with anything. period. and i agree that the shady parking lot rats are the worst kind of poser, latching on to an otherwise good scene.

but i guess i was not trying to focus on these things, and more be amazed that kids are still tuning in to the music. i mean, some of them are really tuning in. i know the parking lots are not the same and i know they aren't going to sell out instantly like they used to, but the music is still reaching people. maybe thats just silly idealistic hoo-ha...

i guess a week straight of seemingly sold out phil and friends shows at terrapin crossroads will convince someone that this wonderful scene is still alive... :peas: i just wish they'd bring down the price of tickets for mere mortals...
mraugustwest
Wall of Sound
Wall of Sound

Postby vwjodyme » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:54 am

I do still see young folk coming out for their first shows pretty much every show (the super excited ones that have been listening to tapes for years trying to guess songs and stuff not the ones there for a party), but it is no where near the numbers when the GD was still touring.
If you go by high schools then we are doomed...at least in my area. I never see any youngsters wearing tye dyes or GD related gear in my town. In my home town we had a type of hippy park that for generations the hippy crews from high school would hang (on some summer weekends it could grow into the 100's when other town's kids would come hang for some massive drum circles), but the park has been abandonded for about 10 years :cry:
vwjodyme

Postby Mr.Burns » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:20 am

A sold out Terrapin crossroads show doesn't mean that much, they used to sell out EVERYWHERE. There used to be FM broadcasts of shows because there was so much public interest.

So, no, there are probably less of us now, we're just better connected and in touch with each other due to technology, and that makes the world seem like a smaller place.
Mr.Burns
Phil
Phil

Return to Everything Else