TC Electronics Nova System

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

TC Electronics Nova System

Postby jackr » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:32 pm

Just picked up one of these, but haven't messed with it yet. Anyone else use one? If so what do you think?

I have tried other similar products like the line 6 pod x3 live, boss mc-70 etc. I've always noticed they suck tone and I've always gone back to stomp boxes.
On tour '76 - '81
Clean & Sober since '87
jackr

Re: TC Electronics Nova System

Postby Tony6Strings » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:14 pm

Digital multi effects aren't for me, but that doesn't mean it won't work for you. I personally like the control that stomp boxes give me, and the fewer the better IMHO, but as of late I haven't been following my own advice on simplicity. My chain has gradually gone from just a Boss DS-1, to adding in a volume pedal, then adding in a wah, then adding in a chorus, then a Tube Screamer... Now I've got all this stuff chained together on the floor, and I have to build a pedal board. I can see where multi effects has it's appeal, but I don't I'll ever own one... Good luck with yours though. Happy New Effect Day!
"Why do the best things always disappear, like Ophelia?"
Tony6Strings
Brent
Brent

Postby Cmnaround » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:49 pm

I'm going through the same debate, and have been doing some experimenting over the past few weeks to test my options. My rig is a Mesa v twin rack tube Pre amp > Mesa 20/20 stereo power amp > 2x12 closed back ported cab w a mix of ceramic and AlNiCo tone tubbies. Last year I picked up a pod XT pro rack unit and only used it for reverb through my effects loop in my Pre-amp. Long story short I stated playing in a classic rock gig and switched to the line 6 straight into my power amp. Found tons of presets on their site, with a different preset pretty much for each song, and it's very flexible with the foot controller. Sounds great direct out or in a small room - but the test is does that translate to playing out?

Last 3 weeks I played w the line 6 set up, but I'm switching up back to the tube this set up this weekend and will record it to compare how the room sound is. My hunch is I'm gonna get better tone from the real thing, so it may be a choice around flexibility vs tone.
Cmnaround
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby tcsned » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:08 am

I use a Lexicon MPX G2 and when it's dialed in it kicks ass but it's a finicky bugger. If the gain isn't set right for everything in the signal path it introduces clipping so guitar changes can be problematic even going from coil tapped to humbucking can be a problem. I'm not one to spend too much time tweaking things so I'm considering going back to all stomp boxes.
tcsned

Postby jackr » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:14 am

So far I am really digging this thing. I like the analog drive side. I also love that you can use an expression pedal to change many parameters. Pretty easy to use but I havent played it with the band yet. I havent noticed a loss of tone yet like I didnt with the Line 6 pod xt live.
On tour '76 - '81
Clean & Sober since '87
jackr

Return to Everything Else