GD DVD Collection

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

GD DVD Collection

Postby Jimaroe » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:37 pm

Hello all,
I thought this might be of interest to some.. I genuinely looked for a place to add the thread, but none seemed to be a good fit. My apologies in advance if I've done this wrong. My intentions were genuine. Anyways, I'm on the Dead.net email service and periodically receive updates etc. The most recent email contains a link for a DVD collection to be released 4/17/12 That will include 14 DVDs (38 hours of Dead) and 5 previously unreleased performances. I know that most of us on here have seen the majority of these. Hell, I had em' on VCR, you young guys probably don't even know what that is... Anyways, I thought, for $99 bucks, that breaks down to about 7 dollars per DVD. Here is what is included as well as a link. I am not affiliated with this in any way, just felt like it was a decent deal, since some of these routinely go for 20 or so bucks on Ebay and a few of them have never been released on DVD.

http://www.shoutfactorystore.com/prod.a ... l_dead_box

Includes:

The Grateful Dead Movie (2-DVD)* (Theatrical film, originally released in 1977)
The Closing Of Winterland (2-DVD)* (Winterland Ballroom, San Francisco, CA, December 31, 1978)
Dead Ahead* (Radio City Music Hall, New York, NY, October 1980)
So Far (Originally released on VHS and laser disc in 1987 — first time on DVD!)
Ticket To New Year’s* (Oakland Coliseum, Oakland, CA, December 31, 1987)
Truckin’ Up To Buffalo (Rich Stadium, Orchard Park, NY, on July 4, 1989)
Downhill From Here (Alpine Valley Music Theatre, East Troy, WI, July 17, 1989)
View From The Vault* (Three Rivers Stadium, Pittsburgh, PA, July 8, 1990)
View From The Vault II* (RFK Stadium, Washington, DC, June 14, 1991)
View From The Vault III* (Shoreline Amphitheatre, Mountain View, CA, June 16, 1990)
View From The Vault IV (Oakland Stadium, Oakland, CA, July 24, 1987, and Anaheim Stadium, Anaheim, CA, July 26, 1987)

*includes all bonus features from previous release

Exclusive bonus disc contains:

Five previously unreleased live performances from the Grateful Dead archive
Backstage Pass, the 1992 documentary directed by Justin Kreutzmann
Brand-new interview with Grateful Dead archivist David Lemieux
Jimaroe
Jester
Jester

Re: GD DVD Collection

Postby Scarlet » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:43 am

That sounds like a good way to pick up all the existing DVDs in a good priced package.
I've always wondered why the Essen 1981 show has never had an official release. Crystal clear footage of an entire show WITHOUT embarrassing so called 'trippy' visuals ruining all the jams a la View From The Vault etc.
Scarlet
Donna
Donna

Postby mijknahs » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:32 pm

I wonder what those five previously unreleased videos from the archives are. Not so interested in them if they're all from the 90's...
mijknahs

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:45 pm

Without having done any research, I'm a little curious how legal this all is. GDM seems to have a very tight leash on video footage and wants to sell them through dead.net exclusively. Some of the releases listed are out of print on DVD and going for pretty steep money on Amazon.

Like I said, i've done no research, that's just my initial impression...
Rusty the Scoob

Postby mijknahs » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:17 pm

Get it before it's recalled!
mijknahs

Postby LivingDead » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:14 pm

This is legit, it's being sold on deadnetstore. All The Years Combine: The DVD Collection.

http://store.dead.net/live-shows/all-years-combine-dvd-collection
LivingDead
welcome
welcome

Postby jahozer » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:31 pm

Thats really a nice price @ $99.00
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best.- the girl from the bus
jahozer
Bobby
Bobby

Postby guitarcats » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:54 am

would be nice if one of the shows was from the hampton warlocks shows in 89
guitarcats
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby BongoFury » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:38 am

Scarlet wrote:I've always wondered why the Essen 1981 show has never had an official release. Crystal clear footage of an entire show WITHOUT embarrassing so called 'trippy' visuals ruining all the jams a la View From The Vault etc.

A bunch of Rockpalast shows by other artists have been released lately. I'm surprised this hasn't been one of them.

Then there's the Sunshine Daydream movie. Maybe some day we'll see a legit release of that.
BongoFury
welcome
welcome

Postby mijknahs » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:15 am

C'mon. Someone buy it and tell us what those unreleased shows are...
mijknahs

Postby easytoslip » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:03 am

mijknahs wrote:C'mon. Someone buy it and tell us what those unreleased shows are...

what's your favorite year or years and how many live shows did you get to enjoy?
easytoslip
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby mijknahs » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:08 am

easytoslip wrote:
mijknahs wrote:C'mon. Someone buy it and tell us what those unreleased shows are...

what's your favorite year or years and how many live shows did you get to enjoy?

Favorite years: '70-'89
Shows: '85-'89 (West Coast)
I dunno. I sort of lost interest after '89.
mijknahs

Postby Lunchbox16 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:02 pm

I ordered a copy. It doesn't ship until April. I'll certainly let everyone who's interested know what the bonus material is.

Also, David Lemieux talked about video releases during his live video chat in January. He talks about SSDD and the E '72 stuff (I believe) and the likelihood of those things being released. Suffice it to say that SSDD is more likely than the E'72 material.

Rockpalast is an interesting topic and I haven't heard anything about that. I've seen some of Rory Gallagher's stuff from there. Amazing. Another great we lost in 1995....
"Is maith an scéalaí an aimsir." Time is a great storyteller. -- Irish Proverb
Lunchbox16
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby easytoslip » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:54 pm

mijknahs wrote:
easytoslip wrote:

Favorite years: '70-'89
Shows: '85-'89 (West Coast)
I dunno. I sort of lost interest after '89.

From a 'never saw the Dead' perspective (hoping that doesn't ostracize me from the board), I absolutely love '85-'89.

What were your favorite three venues
easytoslip
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby Jimaroe » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:27 pm

mijknahs wrote:I wonder what those five previously unreleased videos from the archives are. Not so interested in them if they're all from the 90's...

Received today, gonna eat real quick and then push play! Wanted to let the board know the 5 previously unreleased: china-rider and man smart woman smarter from Mtn View Ca 10/2/87; FOTD Foxboro, MA 7/2/89; Hey Pocky Way Tinley Park Il 7/22/90 and Shakedown Chicago Il 7/22/91. As you can see, the 5 unreleased on the bonus disc are indiv performances of songs, obviously not entire shows, but hey, good price for hours upon hours of watchin' The Finest Band in the Land! :cool: update: China-rider contains the f'n cheesy "tracer" effects during the jam. Dammit, Who thinks this a good idea? I just wanna watch em jam.
Btw, Bobby's got the full on Daisy Dukes and Madonna t shirt in full effect. Seriously short shorts, I wouldn't let my daughter out of the house in those cut offs. Hey Pocky Way is sweet watching Jer Jam with Wolf and Brent fly around in his keys seat like he should have a seat belt on! The Shakedown is sweet too! Sorry for the unnecessary babble.
Jimaroe
Jester
Jester

Next

Return to Everything Else