Which lineup would you choose to see?

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

Re: Which lineup would you choose to see?

Postby NeebruM » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:55 am

I'd rather see Mike Campbell...

Something NEW for the love a Mike! :?
NeebruM
Keith
Keith

Re: Which lineup would you choose to see?

Postby ugly rumor » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:10 am

I'm not a "Warren hater"; as an individual, he's a super nice guy. I think he lacks what most of his supporters credit him with: soul. He is great at putting lead lines together, but not in an interesting or surprising way. He is very predictable, although he did wait until the third song at Thursday's P&F to start playing above the frets, and he steered clear of "Mountain Jam" entirely, for once! But he was so busy and inconsiderate that Scofield just quit playing for a while. I saw a review that said that was Scofield in awe of Haynes, but my impression at the time was that all the room was pushed out so he couldn't contribute. I thought that was a mark of great musicianship, when you realize that there is nothing you can add, so you don't.

For a Franklin into Slipknot that demonstrates the opposite end of Haynes' playing, listen to Charlottesville, Va, from July 8, 2008. Phil had to stand in front of Warren, and then practically stop the song, for Warren to catch up with "Marbles" Embarrassing!

I will admit that Warren is a great singer, and interprets the vocals consummately. Maybe a humble listen to an hour's worth of Wayne Bennet would fix him on guitar.

Hope you still got you suit on, Stummin; I'm coming atcha!!
The genius of Phil is in his sense of time and place. I have spent years attempting to master his control of timing and placement of notes, and choice of notes. He is far too consistent, if you take a step back and look at the whole picture, for his playing to be accidental. Listen to Pauley pavilion, November, 1973. First set, especially. There is no way Phil could be "off" or out of touch so consistently, and so brilliantly. Like him or not, he is a true genius.
I agree about his singing, but I'm always glad to hear him!
Gone are the days we stopped to decide where we should go, we just ride...
ugly rumor
Bobby
Bobby

Previous

Return to Everything Else