elec open mic format

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

elec open mic format

Postby tiffcheese » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:57 am

Hey yall, I've done some acoustic open mics on Mondays sort of thing where you go and sign up before start time and pick your number in the order of 10 to 20 slots and you go up solo or in a group and do three or four songs, whatever there's time for. Electric open jam I have never done but I have an occasional Sunday night off and wouldn't mind checking it out. Anyone know how this works? I've gone a few times and it's a brokenhearted guitar player running the thing, with 15 guys with walls up in a room where the bartenders are the only ones talking. I have no idea how to get involved. Thanks, love the noobie with boobies.
tiffcheese

Re: elec open mic format

Postby strumminsix » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:09 am

Hi, NwB, open mics are an odd thing. Firstly, they are often hosted by folks who are tired or gigging but want to play so frustrated or hogs.

Secondly, the same people usually come week after week and play the same exact songs.

It just takes time. Stick around, learn their "go to" songs, compliment the good ones, ask if you could accompany sometime!

While there's often times drama or BS at open mics, I've also met alot of cool and genuine people who are good musicians!
strumminsix

Postby tcsned » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:23 am

They're all different and have a different culture. Though I'd agree with strummin on several of his points, sometimes these things are run by some dude that hogs half of the show, sometimes it's a clique of friends who don't treat outsides very kindly, some are focused to a specific style of music and don't want anything but blues, country, or depressing emo stuff, some are ultra-cool and open to all. I'd do some recon before signing up. Check out the competition, maybe talk to the folks running it, etc. It's a good place to get some performance experience for sure. Pick your strongest material when you do play. I did a couple to force myself to play solo. Also lookout for jams too - they do a few of those here. They seem to be mostly bluegrass and blues. Even if those styles aren't your bag they are good experience playing with others and having to stay in-sync and good lessons on how to recover from mistakes.
tcsned

Postby Pete B. » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:15 pm

Open mics, imho, waste alot of your time while waiting to play, then, they limit the time you get to actually play.
You would do better to find a few friends to play with (if you play guitar, then maybe look for bass and drums) and get together once or twice a week or month.

Other than that, all you can do is ask the bartender, "Who is hosting this this jam?"... then speak to them about what you want to do.
If they are not a DeadHead specific host band, maybe brush up on a song the host band might know, like... Johnny B. Goode???
Pete B.

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:31 pm

It depends on what you want out of them. You're not going to get a ton of playing time but you'll get a little experience if you don't have much.

Most importantly they can be a great way to meet fellow musicians, and already know how they play. It's like speed-dating for potential bandmates.
Rusty the Scoob

Postby tiffcheese » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:39 am

thanks for the input :peas:
tiffcheese

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:34 am

Have you ever thought to start you own ' open mic ' ?
Kinda of how I do things.Sorta.
I get to meet lots of heads of different levels of playing ability - make friends/ bang the tunes out.
Its fun. We rent a studio thats central to the players locations.
Its just as many players as needed - its not a true open mic in that sense - but the players rotate session to session.
I like to cherry pic on various sites for potential jammers.It can be as serious as you want it to be.
Great way to net work , too.
Bottom line is playing with more experienced musicains is key for getting better.
.02$
Good luck
:-)
Tennessee Jedi

Postby RiverRat » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:58 pm

tiffcheese wrote: I have no idea how to get involved. Thanks, love the noobie with boobies.

Sorry, You left yourself wide open for it.
RiverRat

Postby strumminsix » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:43 pm

You'd think that a woman with a guitar would get all sorts of attention?!
strumminsix

Postby easytoslip » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:59 am

lol I went in without a guitar and I'm not showing my tits :cool:

edit to add: this is tiffcheese on new screenname
easytoslip
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:08 am

Cool, Tiff, you did it? How'd it go? I was going to suggest bringing a buddy, especially if you're shy, it's nice to have at least one person to talk to. But I bet you did great!
Rusty the Scoob

Postby strumminsix » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:29 am

easytoslip wrote:lol I went in without a guitar and I'm not showing my tits :cool:

edit to add: this is tiffcheese on new screenname

Easy to fall, maybe bring a guitar next time.
strumminsix

Postby RiverRat » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:47 am

easytoslip wrote:lol I went in without a guitar and I'm not showing my tits :cool:

RiverRat

Postby easytoslip » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:45 am

Dan, I meant in the past when I went to elec open mics, I didn't get all sorts of attention as a female with a guitar bc I went without a guitar to just check it out.

I don't really see myself holding my own open mic. But I like the idea of finding people to get together with once or twice a week or month!

p.s. oh my, do boys love boobs or what? :P
easytoslip
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby easytoslip » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:46 am

:cool:
Last edited by easytoslip on Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
easytoslip
Rosemary
Rosemary

Next

Return to Everything Else