Sheet Music

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

Sheet Music

Postby beaner » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:12 pm

Happy New Year All,
I am looking for free or not free sheet music for all original GD tunes for piano. Either in
a 'Anthology' book type format or a website that would have all Jerry/Bobby or Hunter/Barlow
songs. I have searched this forum and some others here, I haved looked on the web and still not finding the right one. Can anyone here point me in a helpful direction?
This is for a very talented and young piano player named Jan Jurchak who is going to jam with us in a couple of weeks. He requested 'lead sheets' which I am hoping is another name for sheet music. I suspect once he has the fundamentals down then his ears will take over(hopefully).
He's a fantastic keyboard player with great sense for a someone his age. Thanks regardless -bb
beaner
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Re: Sheet Music

Postby mttourpro » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:59 pm

I'd like to think "lead sheets" is another name for a chord chart.

The only piano sheet music I know of is Anthology. It's actually pretty good too.
Never saw anything else--anywhere (ie internet site).

FWIW, tell him to get all his charts from this site and listen to the rest.
Listen to what ever's not here, make his own cheaters and fake whatever's left.
http://www.thecausejams.com

let your life proceed by its own design....
mttourpro

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:02 am

Check this site out - they have a excellent Dead/JGB/Related bands song book ready to dowwnload for free
http://deadstein.com/index.html
We try to work from this book - pretty accurate I think
Good luck
:smile:
Tennessee Jedi

Postby mttourpro » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:20 am

That's decent enough but does not have the music notated for piano......

so Jedi, are you in or not?? please pm me. Thanks MT

mttourpro

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:45 am

mttourpro wrote:That's decent enough but does not have the music notated for piano......

me a stoner
:D
Tennessee Jedi

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:40 am

mttourpro wrote:I'd like to think "lead sheets" is another name for a chord chart.

The only piano sheet music I know of is Anthology. It's actually pretty good too.
Never saw anything else--anywhere (ie internet site).

FWIW, tell him to get all his charts from this site and listen to the rest.
Listen to what ever's not here, make his own cheaters and fake whatever's left.

Bingo.

If he's a jazz head, Lead Sheet refers to a chord chart - preferably one that resembles something from a Real Book. I.e. it'd have a key signature and staff, usually words and/or a basic melody, and measures with chord names above the measures, like this:

A small jazz combo can make this song sound good even if they've never heard it or played it before, just by looking at the Lead Sheet. As far as I know nothing like this exists for the GD catalog, the Anthology mentioned above comes closest but the GD is really an ear-based music first.

You can tell any trained jazz guy "Medium Bossa Nova" and he'll know to play something rhythmically similar to Girl From Ipanema or "uptempo Swing" and he'll sound like he's in Charlie Parker's band, for example, but there's no three-word phrase for Row Jimmy that would tell somebody who's never heard Row Jimmy what to do to make it sound right.

Do what MTTP suggests above - give him your favorite recordings of the songs you want him to know and point him to RUKind for the charts. This isn't jazz, you can't just fake it without listening.
Rusty the Scoob

Postby mttourpro » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:59 pm

So....since one (Lead Sheet Book) doesn't exist yet, does that mean there's a void to fill in the GD world??
Some serious money to be had there I'm sure---might even sell 6 copies!

reminds me of a little story...

There was a guy on tour in the late 80s/90s named ArJay from Cincy. I had just joined Left for Dead and knew about 15 tunes (maybe). They wanted me to learn 100 tunes in 3 months (of course, one a day, right). Now I knew all the songs to hear em but didn't know how to play them yet, so that was a bonus.

Anyway, I'm bustin ass on it with next to no help from anyone in the band for a couple weeks and went on tour a little.
When I came out of a Landover show (Spring 93) I see this guy holding all these blue books. He wants 10 bucks for one. I look at it and check out a few tunes I knew already and everything was correct. I slapped a ten in his hand and was quite pleased. The book is/was "Whoa Oh...How Does the Song Go" (blue cover).....so, I'm at shows about a year later and run into someone playing guitar and selling the same books in the lot. I talk to him a while and find out he is ArJay (as I apparently bought the book from someone else slinging them for him). So I tell him how much his book helped me, etc and we start talking about tunes not in the book (I'd just figured out Lost Sailor>Saint too)----so, he gives me a new updated version of the book right then and there and I sent him the charts to Sailor>Saint in the mail....funny thing, I ran into him in the supermarket before the 95 three Rivers show and he told me he still didn't put Sailor>Saint in the book.

I do believe he told me he also got a cease and desist letter from GDM at some point as well. I have never seen him again. Cool dude who essentially saved me a LOT of time.
Maybe he's on this site??

And, for the record, I still have both books ( I've edited and added to them for the past 18 years too) and they've been indispensible for vocals as well.

I am getting old......and even more forgetful

viewtopic.php?f=311&t=6067&hilit=+ArJay

http://malfalfa1.tripod.com/mainroom.htm

mttourpro

Postby beaner » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:18 pm

Thanks a bunch, I was digging' MTTP's story as well. I followed all of your directions and the keyboardist is now good to go.
So, did the Dead ever cover any christmas carols?
Somehow I doubt that they ever did but stranger things have happened.
I'm not sure if I would count Run Rudolf Run.
beaner
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Return to Everything Else