Getting started on recording

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

Getting started on recording

Postby vwjodyme » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:10 am

Any thoughts on basic, cheap, beginners recording stuff? just want to record some guitar and vocals, and maybe have friends add some bass and drums later.
totally new to this...my last experience was sticking a tapedeck in the middle of my teenage band and hitting record :lol:
vwjodyme

Re: Getting started on recording

Postby vwjodyme » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:14 pm

i guess what i am asking is does anyone use anything cheap and easy to record their own stuff?
I am finding 3 basic types online: software (not sure if i can use a regular laptop for it or if i would need something special), the old type of 4 track kind, or these little boxes that i guess you plug a mic into and hook up to a computer?
so i guess i would just need a couple of mics and one of the above? anyone have any preferences?
not looking for a studio sound or anything, just want to get some thoughts down.
vwjodyme

Postby Cmnaround » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:47 pm

You should check out digital 8 track machines. The all in 1 set ups from Tascam, Boss, Fostex or Korg all work great, with lots of features like built in effects or some drum set ups, for a few hundred bucks.

Advantages - direct record of guitar, bass, vocals or other - like keys, with built in effects and reverb. On an 8 track you can lay down 8 individual tracks and mixdown to a stereo master mix, or bounce tracks and get more than 8 if needed.

Internal hard drive and easy to convert to mp3 on your Mac or of with a USB connection.

You could also use a computer as your hard drive with a software package for mixing and effects, but you will need an interface to convert your guitar or vocal analog input into digital signal. There are lots of inexpensive 2 channel intefaces, but you probably want to research to find what works well and supports what you need. In both cases you can usually only record 2 channels at a time, unless you get an inteface or digital multitrack that supports more than 2 at a time.

If just you, that is enough to record stereo drum tracks, then lay rythym and vocal tracks, and come back and lay individual bass, keys and lead - with instant playback and editing since its all digital.

I use a Tascam DP-01FX that I got for like $450 5 years ago. I think new ones may be half that now. All the stuff on my MySpace was recorded w the Tascam, either w live synth drums or drum machine.
You should totally get one - it will help you majorly wIth practice / laying down rythym tracks to play lead over and also to play scales over.
Cmnaround
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby Cmnaround » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:56 pm

Follow up - they do make these cool handheld digital recorders with built in mics that record room sound and convert to mp3, you may get more flexibility with the multitrack set up for just a bit more up front $.
Cmnaround
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby playingdead » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:58 pm

I have a Tascam DP-01FX you can pick up for $100 if you want it. Eight tracks, digital, hard disk, stands alone. Easy to use and makes great quality recordings. I also have a pair of MXL 603 pencil condenser mics I don't use any more, yours for $75 for the pair.

I'm in Marshfield.
playingdead

Postby vwjodyme » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:18 pm

Cool, thanks for the info.
Vic, I'll stop by and check it out this week...didn't realize you were right in marshfield.
vwjodyme

Postby Maybeck09 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:20 am

I've got the Zoom H-1 handheld. Its got 2 condensor mics and the ability to record to mp3 or wav. format. I hope to upgrade to something with more channels in the future. But for quick recording of self or band it is really easy to simply set it up and hit record. Downloads easily to Audacity, or other edit software. and $100.
http://www.samsontech.com/zoom/products/handheld-audio-recorders/h1/
Maybeck09
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby hotasaPistol » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:10 pm

I used to have that Zoom recorder but switched to a Tascam Dr-7 hand held recorder....I think it was around $150.00 and a lot more user friendly than the Zoom....I record my band and it is really easy to transfer to the computer and burn cd's or plug it in to a radio or amp that has the input ...it records very well...I have even used it to record some stealth concerts and it did a great job.....

FWIW

George :smile: :smile: :smile:
hotasaPistol
Rosemary
Rosemary

Return to Everything Else